IGNORED

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Hammerfestus

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

If I'm at home I've got my pc for internet stuff, and when I'm out and about, the people I'm with have cell phones 100% of the time, so I've got herd immunity for those sorts of situations 😛

Oh, so you're THAT guy. 😛

• Like 1

It depends.

If I were back in the States, I'd opt for losing the wallet. I'd be able to quickly cancel the cards, arrange to get new cards for the driver's licence, etc.

Living abroad though, losing my wallet would mean that I lost all of those cards and a USA driver's licence, as well as my visa, local health insurance card, local driver's licence, local bank cards, etc.

Suddenly I'd be having to try to cancel cards both locally and abroad, as well as jumping through all sorts of hoops to obtain new copies of everything, which would be a very long process.

So for that reason, in my current situation, I think phone would be the better option to lose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

...Not as weird as me: I can't even vote in this poll because I don't own a cell phone.

I find if funny that most of you guys got along just fine a few decades ago without a cell phone and now you can't live two minutes without one?  One guy I work with forgot his phone at home one day, and he was bitching ALL DAY LONG about how it was officially the worst day of his life.  Oh what a world I live in......... 😞

Indeed I very well remember back when a car/cell phone was considered a luxury/status symbol.  Nowadays, ironically, it seems more a luxury to be able to freely choose NOT to have or need one.  And honestly when I go to my grandma's to play cards with her as well as to do jigsaw puzzle (I do it at her house so kitty isn't there to bat around the pieces and get them lost 😄 ) I think it's good for me to get away from the electronics...at least for a few hours a week, no?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Need directions? Screw outdated maps or asking yokels who send you the wrong way. Now you not only get the route, but traffic conditions and the fastest path to save gas.

I thought that was the GPS's job?

40 minutes ago, Estil said:

Indeed I very well remember back when a car/cell phone was considered a luxury/status symbol.  Nowadays, ironically, it seems more a luxury to be able to freely choose NOT to have or need one.  And honestly when I go to my grandma's to play cards with her as well as to do jigsaw puzzle (I do it at her house so kitty isn't there to bat around the pieces and get them lost 😄 ) I think it's good for me to get away from the electronics...at least for a few hours a week, no?

Totally agree, true freedom is to be able to do your thing not need a phone.

I'd like to reach a point where those who know / care about me know where to find me, should they choose, and others can piss off.

Just had an old crush of mine message me last night asking for me to proofread some shit in English for Taiwanese website where there's likely 1% foreign customers anyways.

I obliged, albeit on my own schedule, but seven years ago when we were "into" each other yet she was engaged to a sugar daddy, no breaking them rules, just go eff yourself already, I've moved on and am not just some free translation service.

• Wow! 1

11 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Phones have GPS. Why buy two devices when the phone does both?

I'm more familiar with the kind that attach to the rear view mirror...so you don't have to look down on your phone and be too distracted or something?

I don't drive...this is just from the few times I used Uber or rode in other people's vehicles or something.

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

I'm more familiar with the kind that attach to the rear view mirror...so you don't have to look down on your phone and be too distracted or something?

You can attach a phone with GPS there, too. Though that's actually a bad place to put it; you'd probably want it closer to the dash so it doesn't obscure that area of your windscreen. Mine attaches to the dash itself so I can still keep my eyes at road level while glancing at it. 

A standalone GPS just runs software like Google Maps or something similar. A phone runs it just as well. And you can use your phone to interact with a bluetooth stereo so you're playing your music and not whatever some dumb DJ is playing.

No contest. Lose the phone. There's nothing on my phone that anyone could use against me or that can't be easily replaced and I have, in fact, misplaced it for days at a time and never missed it.  Just remembering what I'd need to cancel and replace from a lost wallet would be a challenge, plus I'd lose the emergency beer cash I carry there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Just had an old crush of mine message me last night asking for me to proofread some shit in English for Taiwanese website where there's likely 1% foreign customers anyways.

I obliged, albeit on my own schedule, but seven years ago when we were "into" each other yet she was engaged to a sugar daddy, no breaking them rules, just go eff yourself already, I've moved on and am not just some free translation service.

That post really took a turn there.  $.15 a word I say!

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

That post really took a turn there.  $.15 a word I say!

We have this thing of "guangxi" in Asian countries, basically in this sort of culture you can call people up that you haven't spoken to in years for favours, shamelessly, actually a former colleague messages me every year to help proofread the Halloween show script, despite not seeing her or working together for six years.

So losing the phone would definitely put an end to this nonsense, stuff that's socially normal in Asia yet we wouldn't stand for it in the West.

Administrator · Posted

What's weird to me is all the shit you all apparently carry around in your wallets. If I'm going to the store for groceries, I have my credit card and nothing else on me. If I have to take transit, I'll have my transit card on me ("Presto" card, here). If I'm buying booze I'll bring my (long expired) drivers license/learner's permit (I never bothered to get a full license). Doctor? Health card and credit card in case I want a snack.

Y'all carrying around your entire lives in some very casually losable leather is incomprehensible.

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What's weird to me is all the shit you all apparently carry around in your wallets. If I'm going to the store for groceries, I have my credit card and nothing else on me. If I have to take transit, I'll have my transit card on me ("Presto" card, here). If I'm buying booze I'll bring my (long expired) drivers license/learner's permit (I never bothered to get a full license). Doctor? Health card and credit card in case I want a snack.

Y'all carrying around your entire lives in some very casually losable leather is incomprehensible.

For me I use a lot of stuff every day. I live in Los Angeles, so a DL is required, as is my insurance card (sometimes spur of the moment I'm driving someone else's vehicle.) Work requires my work ID, two different RF access cards, and my union card. I'm also usually going someplace after work, so CCs on me is a must. Not to mention a few perks cards.

Yeah, it would temporarily suck if I lost them, but I haven't lost a wallet in like 25 years. I'm not in the habit of taking it out of my pocket for more than a few seconds unless I'm at home.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Most of us have multi faceted lives that don’t require us to play musical chairs with all the items in a wallet. At a min. one should have some form of identification and a credit card…. Most people that have a car need insurance  and in the unfortunate situation you’re injured it’s nice to have your healthcare card. This on top of membership cards, weapons permits or whatever else one seems important is the reason the wallet is much more of a hassle to replace. 

Where do you live that allows only a credit card to buy groceries …. They never ask you for ID? Must be fraud free. Weird to me how you living. 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Most of us have multi faceted lives that don’t require us to play musical chairs with all the items in a wallet. At a min. one should have some form of identification and a credit card…. Most people that have a car need insurance  and in the unfortunate situation you’re injured it’s nice to have your healthcare card. This on top of membership cards, weapons permits or whatever else one seems important is the reason the wallet is much more of a hassle to replace. 

Where do you live that allows only a credit card to buy groceries …. They never ask you for ID? Must be fraud free. Weird to me how you living. 

Where on earth do you live that you need an ID just to buy groceries? xD

• Love 1

It would be considerably cheaper to replace my wallet than my cell phone.  Besides a small amount of cash, my wallet only has two credit cards, one debit card and three forms if identification (because Illinois sucks).  It would take me all of 5 minutes to turn off those cards and order replacements.  Getting all 3 forms of ID would be a pain in the ass, but still cheaper then getting a new phone.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Where on earth do you live that you need an ID just to buy groceries? xD

It’s an50/50 shot in the United States that you have to show your ID when you present your credit card (they sell wine & beer in the groceries store where I live l and ID is required with all liquor purchases)….. you didn’t know that??? You must enjoy a certain privilege I’m not accustomed to. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

It’s an50/50 shot in the United States that you have to show your ID when you present your credit card (they sell wine & beer in the groceries store where I live l and ID is required with all liquor purchases)….. you didn’t know that??? You must enjoy a certain privilege I’m not accustomed to. 

Buying booze maybe but otherwise that‘s completely false.  Also,  they stopped carding my gray ass for booze years ago.

Edited by Hammerfestus

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Mr. CIB said:

Lucky you…. But again you might not look like me so it is what it is. I’m use to it by now.

I do get carded if I'm buying booze specifically, and if I decided to dress particularly "hip" that day, but generally they see my salt and pepper hair and see that I am of the legal age. 

Of course if I'm buying booze, I'd bring ID just in case. But again that is a purposeful decision.