IGNORED

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Hammerfestus

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Just now, Hammerfestus said:

No.  I’m nearly 40 years old and have been using exclusively card the majority of my adult life and never once has anyone asked for my Id to use my credit card.

Again…. Lucky you. I don’t have the same experience and I can bet a large amount you don’t look like me. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

No.  I’m nearly 40 years old and have been using exclusively card the majority of my adult life and never once has anyone asked for my Id to use my credit card.

I imagine it's probably a race thing (or similar) , which is shitty if so; it sucks that people have to deal with that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I do get carded if I'm buying booze specifically, and if I decided to dress particularly "hip" that day, but generally they see my salt and pepper hair and see that I am of the legal age. 

Of course if I'm buying booze, I'd bring ID just in case. But again that is a purposeful decision. 

Gloves…. It’s a 50/50 shot for everything for me… worse if it’s over $200. It’s aggravating but again I’ve gotten use to it. I must say in Canada it’s always been cool and no stress in that department. 

1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

. Most people that have a car need insurance  and in the unfortunate situation you’re injured it’s nice to have your healthcare card.

Is it typical for people to keep their proof of car insurance in their wallet?  I don't think I've ever known anyone IRL that does that -- you just keep that in your glove box so it is always in the car.  (and even then, most states just have this data in their online database now, so the printed card is redundant)

Health insurance card is more of a convenience than a requirement, as things go, since anyone that needs that can just call your provider and get the details directly.

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is typical for people to keep their proof of car insurance in their wallet?  I don't think I've ever known anyone IRL that does that --

They usually give you multiple ones, one for the car, the other as an option to carry on your person. I'd usually have it if I anticipated using a rental (which was surprisingly often pre-Covid), as my insurance would preclude the need to buy the rental agency's liability (though I'd opt for the damage waiver for the rental itself.)

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

They usually give you multiple ones, one for the car, the other as an option to carry on your person. I'd usually have it if I anticipated using a rental (which was surprisingly often pre-Covid), as my insurance would preclude the need to buy the rental agency's liability (though I'd opt for the damage waiver for the rental itself.)

I have never needed a physical proof of insurance for a rental car, ever.

Doubly so, since a good quality credit card provides primary coverage on the rental car anyway.

1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

If you didn't bother to read everything above and catch the drift then I don't know what to tell you.

Your reply to Hammerfestus that cleared that up was on the next page from the original post I replied to.  Apologies for not having been completely caught up when I made the original comment.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

It would be considerably cheaper to replace my wallet than my cell phone.  Besides a small amount of cash, my wallet only has two credit cards, one debit card and three forms if identification (because Illinois sucks).  It would take me all of 5 minutes to turn off those cards and order replacements.  Getting all 3 forms of ID would be a pain in the ass, but still cheaper then getting a new phone.  

In a lot of ways it's also just a time vs money thing. At this point in my life, my time is borderline priceless and I've got a bit of cash to spare. 

Take me back to high school or college (ignoring the fact that cell phones weren't common in those days) and I'd choose to lose my wallet since I had more free time (no wife, no kids, occasional availability during normal business hours) and literally no money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have never needed a physical proof of insurance for a rental car, ever.

Doubly so, since a good quality credit card provides primary coverage on the rental car anyway.

You don't NEED it, but I like to carry it anyway. Plus, my insurance company has greater liability coverage than my credit card or the rental companies have offered.

11 hours ago, Gloves said:

What's weird to me is all the shit you all apparently carry around in your wallets. If I'm going to the store for groceries, I have my credit card and nothing else on me. If I have to take transit, I'll have my transit card on me ("Presto" card, here). If I'm buying booze I'll bring my (long expired) drivers license/learner's permit (I never bothered to get a full license). Doctor? Health card and credit card in case I want a snack.

Y'all carrying around your entire lives in some very casually losable leather is incomprehensible.

What if, instead of always having to bring certain items and not others for different circumstances, someone were to invent some sort of small method of conveyance for all of those little cards, so you could just bring that one little item along with you and be prepared for anything and everything where ever you may go???  And what if that invention were made small enough to fit in your pocket 😮

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Health insurance card is more of a convenience than a requirement, as things go, since anyone that needs that can just call your provider and get the details directly.

I do keep my medicare card in my wallet - it very occasionally comes in handy when I fill a (generally one  time) prescription at a regular pharmacy rather than the one at my health care provider.

Whenever I go to an appointment or test at Kaiser I have to show my Kaiser card, photo id and tell them my birthdate.  (Thanks to a certain class of miscreants who were scamming the system.)  So I keep the Kaiser card  in my wallet also.

Edited by Tabonga

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

I do get carded if I'm buying booze specifically, and if I decided to dress particularly "hip" that day, but generally they see my salt and pepper hair and see that I am of the legal age. 

Of course if I'm buying booze, I'd bring ID just in case. But again that is a purposeful decision. 

Sucks you aged poorly 😛

I've had times where I've gone to a bar and used my passport as an ID, every four years in Pennsylvania you need to get a new driver's licence and mine was expired at the time I was visiting home. Should have seen the reaction, those folks aren't trained at all for what to do, they think somehow you're trying to scam them, especially if you look young as I do 😉

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Sucks you aged poorly 😛

I've had times where I've gone to a bar and used my passport as an ID, every four years in Pennsylvania you need to get a new driver's licence and mine was expired at the time I was visiting home. Should have seen the reaction, those folks aren't trained at all for what to do, they think somehow you're trying to scam them, especially if you look young as I do 😉

How did I age poorly? Lmao. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

They are one and the same

I've actually been considering doing that as well.  As mentioned before, I'm down to 6 items in my wallet, plus some cash and I think I can get those 6 items down to 4.  I just hate the fact that it would make my phone slightly thicker.  

• Like 1