IGNORED

The new breed of collectors thread

A while back we had a thread somewhere about something being fake and over the pages turned into a discussion about how new collectors may/may not care about the authenticity of an item. I posted some stuff about how the mentality towards fakes has shifted because I see it alot anymore and also find it really fascinating from a anthropological standpoint. How trends change and such. So I figured why not make it into a thread. 

Here is yet another example of someone (and some responses to the op) who seems to rather have a 1:1 fake vs the real thing or even an everdrive. I do believe eventually this will be a predominant mentality and it will be just like there are people who would only buy a numbers matching muscle car (a wealthy minority) vs a kit car from a catalog (a broader majority)

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

Administrator · Posted

To give you an idea of the type of person asking this:

image.png

And I don't mean that in a mean way either. We need to collectively ensure that information is out there, easy to obtain, and easy to digest.

Informing people who are new to our hobby will pay dividends to all involved, including ourselves.

• Like 4

I can't fathom "collecting" fakes.  If you want to play games you have emulators and why wouldn't you want an Everdrive.  I mean, I'll give the people a pass that want to play old games on OG hardware, but have never learned of an everdrive.  There are a lot of people that never consider seeking out communities and they just want a NES/SNES/Genesis and maybe 5-10 games from their childhood.  They aren't thinking about everdrives and will just go for the cheapest option.

But if you want to get into collecting, why intentionally buy fakes?!  It's like buying reproduction comic books or ball cards.  Sure, a reproduction comic book is fine for reading.  I get that.  But why would you buy a repro Action Comics #1 and immediately board and bag it?  It's not apples to apples because I'm sure some re-releases of old comics get "special edition" treatments but if an old comic is mass rerproduced so people can get the experience of looking and "feeling" an original copy, why would you consider it "collectible"?  I'm sure people do though.

Anyway, people can do what they want to do, but this blows my mind.  Collectibles need provenance and there's just none of that built into bootleg carts.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Fakes are too much work.  Better to have a wall of empty cases because who can tell the difference anyway?

Anyone remember that Reddit post about a guy who was considering buying 677 empty clamshell cases and printing out NES box art for them. No intention to ever buy the carts. It was wild.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Anyone remember that Reddit post about a guy who was considering buying 677 empty clamshell cases and printing out NES box art for them. No intention to ever buy the carts. It was wild.

Was that a joke?  Why?

27 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I was just gonna post that lol

I get the idea of wanting UGC with nice art for display of a cart only, but the older I get the more I feel like it is so much extra work for little return. 

if the “new breed (repro?) collector” really wanted some mean youtube/reddit/forum comments, why not do repro boxes and repro manuals too to go along with repro carts? Just have an entire fake collection. 

It would be so awesome if someone found out Im into game collecting, and invited me over to show me their game collection only for it to be hundreds of fake games. I would admire their dedication to make a full repro version of Anticipation, or Othello first, then proceed to Real Game master race own them in front of their S/O and children. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what I cannot fathom: people who spend years trying to track down a game, sometimes at a reasonable price, sometimes waiting until they can finally afford it, and then they are like "I can finally play this game!" Like, wtf? Just emulate it! JUST EMULATE IT! I mean I have my dumb reasons for collecting authentic games but if I ever just want to play a retro game I have zero qualms about emulating it. I am not going to wait years to obtain a copy secondhand for just that purpose. That's insane. 

Another note more relevant to OP's question: I've seen a lot of backpatting among Shantae fans over getting the modern releases including the official reprint of the GBC cart. I remember Nintendo Age had a bias toward getting the first official release of anything. But this new breed really likes the idea of getting official games in any form. To me it's kinda meh, whatever, you ordered something from LRG, it's not an accomplishment. There's no way an LRG print is as impressive as the original GBC release or some of the obscure early prints of the sequels (like the PC release of Risky's Revenge). But this new breed loves the uniformity and shelf-appeal of the consistent Switch set. Even willing to pay a lot to get specifically the Switch releases because "I like having the whole series on one console." 

One more note, I've been surprised how many times I see this new breed of collectors talking about buying repro carts or boxes to fill spaces in their collection or just to have a physical of games they think have gotten too expensive. And I'm the idiot in the thread telling them "If you are going to go that route just get an everdrive, who cares about having the physical if it's just a fake from a bootlegger." But it never works. They like the faux sensation of having a facsimile of the real thing!

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Let me tell you what I cannot fathom: people who spend years trying to track down a game, sometimes at a reasonable price, sometimes waiting until they can finally afford it, and then they are like "I can finally play this game!" Like, wtf? Just emulate it! JUST EMULATE IT! I mean I have my dumb reasons for collecting authentic games but if I ever just want to play a retro game I have zero qualms about emulating it. I am not going to wait years to obtain a copy secondhand for just that purpose. That's insane. 

Another note more relevant to OP's question: I've seen a lot of backpatting among Shantae fans over getting the modern releases including the official reprint of the GBC cart. I remember Nintendo Age had a bias toward getting the first official release of anything. But this new breed really likes the idea of getting official games in any form. To me it's kinda meh, whatever, you ordered something from LRG, it's not an accomplishment. There's no way an LRG print is as impressive as the original GBC release or some of the obscure early prints of the sequels (like the PC release of Risky's Revenge). But this new breed loves the uniformity and shelf-appeal of the consistent Switch set. Even willing to pay a lot to get specifically the Switch releases because "I like having the whole series on one console." 

One more note, I've been surprised how many times I see this new breed of collectors talking about buying repro carts or boxes to fill spaces in their collection or just to have a physical of games they think have gotten too expensive. And I'm the idiot in the thread telling them "If you are going to go that route just get an everdrive, who cares about having the physical if it's just a fake from a bootlegger." But it never works. They like the faux sensation of having a facsimile of the real thing!

This is the trophy and achievement generation. Boot up the game and get a pat on the back for having done so. Dopamine! 

It's down to a science. 

• Like 1

The hobby is whatever you make of it. My only wish would be for people to stop asking what they should collect or buy and just collect or buy whatever makes them happy. Cheap repros make you happy great, sealed Maniac Mansions for $85k make you happy great, buying as many loose copies of Dragon Warrior as possible make you happy go for it. What I do and why I do it probably doesn't apply to you lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

The hobby is whatever you make of it. My only wish would be for people to stop asking what they should collect or buy and just collect or buy whatever makes them happy. Cheap repros make you happy great, sealed Maniac Mansions for $85k make you happy great, buying as many loose copies of Dragon Warrior as possible make you happy go for it. What I do and why I do it probably doesn't apply to you lol

The issue isn’t the initial process of buying a repro. The main concern is the chain events which ultimately may lead to a dodgy seller selling to an unsuspecting buyer, with false claims of authenticity (or choosing not to inform buyer that it’s a repro). 

The above consequence is effectively a scam act, and a buyer is deceived. Another issue, previously repros were obvious to distinguish and they were cheap. Now it’s harder to differentiate a fake vs repro from online pics, and the cost of gaming is rising significantly. So if a buyer is deceived nowadays, it is likely to cost them not only a significant amount of money, but likely also a huge amount of angst and other mental effects.

11 minutes ago, GPX said:

The issue isn’t the initial process of buying a repro. The main concern is the chain events which ultimately may lead to a dodgy seller selling to an unsuspecting buyer, with false claims of authenticity (or choosing not to inform buyer that it’s a repro). 

The above consequence is effectively a scam act, and a buyer is deceived. Another issue, previously repros were obvious to distinguish and they were cheap. Now it’s harder to differentiate a fake vs repro from online pics, and the cost of gaming is rising significantly. So if a buyer is deceived nowadays, it is likely to cost them not only a significant amount of money, but likely also a huge amount of angst and other mental effects.

There will always be sheep and there will always be wolves, the difference is the sheep in this industry can teach themselves to be wolves based on the amount of information out there. The old addage if it's to good to be true also applies. Your not going to police all the shady sellers out there so fuck it. 

I myself have had this experience with someone on these forums selling me a game they didn't know was fake but gladly accepted the return when I pointed it out and eventually got their money back from a shady seller. We can only do so much. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

There will always be sheep and there will always be wolves, the difference is the sheep in this industry can teach themselves to be wolves based on the amount of information out there. The old addage if it's to good to be true also applies. Your not going to police all the shady sellers out there so fuck it.  

Does the Reddit crowd even collect older than like PS2?  I tried to hang out some on r/gamecollecting but I really don’t care about your Xbox finds.  

But honestly I’m too old and tired to care  about what will happen at some theoretical future date to some kids Megaman x3 repro.  If you get swindled ebay has a fantastic return policy.  Future new collectors succeeding current new collectors are just going to have to do their own damn due diligence.

How many years have we been bitching about this?  Shall we start a thread complaining about resellers and then enumerating the ways that we’re not that kind of reseller?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Does the Reddit crowd even collect older than like PS2?  I tried to hang out some on r/gamecollecting but I really don’t care about your Xbox finds.  

But honestly I’m too old and tired to care  about what will happen at some theoretical future date to some kids Megaman x3 repro.  If you get swindled ebay has a fantastic return policy.  Future new collectors succeeding current new collectors are just going to have to do their own damn due diligence.

How many years have we been bitching about this?  Shall we start a thread complaining about resellers and then enumerating the ways that we’re not that kind of reseller?

We’ve been bitching about the existence of fakes for years because the deception there could be. But this is newer “collectors” actively collecting them. Like I said in my original post it’s heading down the same road classic cars are in. Stuff gets replaced/fixed/“restored” and people become fine with it except for the few searching for numbers matching cars

• Like 1