IGNORED

The new breed of collectors thread

Another thought on my "young people buying repros because it's what they can afford" angle, is that maybe for some people, buying and posting a game online is enough to show that they are a fan, and for them, demonstrating to others that they like games and buy games is good enough. Maybe they want to show they are part of the gaming hobby but they just don't have the cash to buy real retro.

Maybe, as RegularGuyGamer says, this is just poser behavior, and shouldn't be respected. Maybe he's right, in that buying a repro isn't giving money to the original devs, and is instead enriching someone who is using specialized containers as justification for selling stolen software. Maybe he's wrong, in that supporting a low-cost repro is better than supporting opportunistic scalpers and investors, who just want to make money off of overvalued originals. Maybe they are just trying too hard to "fit in" or to "be somebody" as is so common for vulnerable teenagers (I know I definitely said and did things that I would be embarrassed to admit to when I was a teenager, what can I say but it's a vulnerable time and people change a lot). There are a lot of possible factors in my mind. I wouldn't make any judgments but on a case-by-case basis and even then I don't think that I've covered all possible situations.

• Like 2

Oh there's nothing wrong with collecting bootlegs.  Just keep them in perspective, as here's a majority of them I have in the GB/C format, got a couple famicom multis too, and a couple singles as well.  The only really "modern" were ones I had made, a couple, 1 DS with the NeoGeo library, and 1 GBA with 100 of the best SMS+GG games on it for ease of use.  The stuff all has its place, whatever that place may be to you or the next guy.

gameboymulticarts.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, Tanooki said:

Oh there's nothing wrong with collecting bootlegs.  Just keep them in perspective, as here's a majority of them I have in the GB/C format, got a couple famicom multis too, and a couple singles as well.  The only really "modern" were ones I had made, a couple, 1 DS with the NeoGeo library, and 1 GBA with 100 of the best SMS+GG games on it for ease of use.  The stuff all has its place, whatever that place may be to you or the next guy.

gameboymulticarts.jpg

totally agree.  to me a game is a game regardless of what type. just to compare FOR GB everyone has a reproduction!  like it or not.  @Tanookinice set of milti carts.  😝

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JVOSS said:

totally agree.  to me a game is a game regardless of what type. just to compare FOR GB everyone has a reproduction!  like it or not.  @Tanookinice set of milti carts.  😝

Thanks, I got more since, that was just the first shot.  Since on GB/C I added a 20in1 no repeat full color, and also one called super mario party.  This may be fun, here's an updated shot I just took.

I'm not going to type it all up (again) for most of it I made a list already for my personal use: http://tanooki.batcave.net/multicarts.html

The DS one has the entire MVS library except for Japanese only puzzle/quiz stuff, the 2 famicoms are huge the black one came with that handheld, the yellow with  one of those "Power Games" units sold in the us 15-20 years ago which came in a complete setup I found with this evil looking Penguin console with a FC slot in the back.  His glowing eyes will consume you.

685A9AA4-B9A8-447F-A77A-16684695101F.thumb.jpeg.61f5a77b73ce7c433f852955665d6e82.jpeg

multicarts.jpg

54 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

I'll never understand this kind of mentality. One person even admits they've "bought quite a few repros from Aliexpress". Like imagine giving one of these as a gift: "Happy Birthday, here's uhhh a fake Mario Kart".

To be fair, in that gift scenario either one or both parties usually wouldn’t know its fake. Like a parent buying it for a kid, or a knowledgeable parent getting one to the grubby handed kid so they dont ruin the real one or something…on second thought that might not be a bad way to trick a little kid that gets all up in your collection. Hide the valuable  game away and hand them the fake to smudge all up and blow in. Theyll never know the difference 

21 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Wait... are you joking?

NO!!!!!  are you? 

By replacing the battery you have altered the game from the original factory state. its just as bad, if not worse then replacing a broken / discolored case.   It's no longer original.

If the battery was to be replaced by the end user then it would have been designed that way. As this is not the case then any changes is consider modifications and no longer original.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 5

5 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

NO!!!!!  are you? 

By replacing the battery you have altered the game from the original factory state. its just as bad, if not worse then replacing a broken / discolored case.   It's no longer original.

If the battery was to be replaced by the end user then it would have been designed that way. As this is not the case then any changes is consider modifications and no longer original.

This is insanity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
8 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

This is insanity.

I've seen this discussion before and there are certainly different opinions.

Personally, I have no problem at all with battery modifications.  

The way I've approached this "issue," is that I know which ones I've replaced the battery and try to mention that upon transfer of the cart.  I replaced my Earthbound SNES battery, because you know, I actually wanted to play the game.  So when I offered it to someone years later, I mentioned the battery was replaced.  They had no problem with that.  Some do apparently.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I've seen this discussion before and there are certainly different opinions.

Personally, I have no problem at all with battery modifications.  

The way I've approached this "issue," is that I know which ones I've replaced the battery and try to mention that upon transfer of the cart.  I replaced my Earthbound SNES battery, because you know, I actually wanted to play the game.  So when I offered it to someone years later, I mentioned the battery was replaced.  They had no problem with that.  Some do apparently.

😒  devaluing earthbound.

the lion king shame GIF

🤣

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

In my opinion it increased the value 🙂

Replacing the back of a cart, or the front of a cart, or a label, etc., are all superficial changes that only affect appearance.  With a bad battery, the game is essentially 'broken' in my personal opinion, because I can't really feasibly play the game to completion (and yes, I realize you can play the whole game without saving, but cmon..).

Therefore, I've never had an issue with replacing the battery, and to me, it doesn't affect the value negatively at all, as I perceive acquiring additional carts, etc. 

I realize there are some purists out there who are 100% against this, and that's fine - if they don't want replaced battery carts in their collection, than so be it.  That's why I'd just let any buyer know about it and move on, no hard feelings regardless.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah that would be a value increase, and I'd go as far as potentially saying depending which, it may even add a bit more on the more value.  One that is new and soldered in would add that, giving you potentially years, decade + of new save service, but also isn't easily replaced unless you solder.  The increase to increase, a battery slot where you can just pop a new coin cell in no fuss no muss other than the security bit.  That's a bonus.

But hey some mental types would rather have a dead battery or even an oozing sore eating away in there, you know, because that adds value being all original after all... no tampering, no mods. 😉  Kind of makes you wonder how many crusty batteries are slowly having a meal of a sealed game from the 80s by now.

I feel like if I super cared about the battery or capacitors in the case of a game console being the original I would have multiples of em. I totally am cool with modifying, repairing, etc I like to alter broken controllers and consoles into something that works and looks cool to me. If it's not working, can be fixed so that it can be used.. otherwise it just sits and rots. At that point, might as well just go full emulation.

Its not gonna make everyone happy that I'm changing them but there were millions of these items. I do like having an unaltered model or copy for my collection but I generally play on the customized consoles. Can't the two co-exist?

There is potentially a compromise solution to make both camps happy. Instead of desoldering the original battery, you could insert a new battery and wire it up to the battery terminals in parallel.

This would be a little goofy looking as you’d have a battery connected to wires floating around inside of the cart. You’d have to find a different set of contact points to solder the new battery wires onto as you are not removing the original battery. 

This would be a reversible battery mod as the new battery could be desoldered and it’s contacts could be cleaned up without disturbing the original battery. Lot of extra work though for something that a lot of people don’t really seem to care about 

15 minutes ago, phart010 said:

There is potentially a compromise solution to make both camps happy. Instead of desoldering the original battery, you could insert a new battery and wire it up to the battery terminals in parallel.

This would be a little goofy looking as you’d have a battery connected to wires floating around inside of the cart. You’d have to find a different set of contact points to solder the new battery wires onto as you are not removing the original battery. 

This would be a reversible battery mod as the new battery could be desoldered and it’s contacts could be cleaned up without disturbing the original battery. Lot of extra work though for something that a lot of people don’t really seem to care about 

Theres no reason to try and make people like that  happy. That’s being picky to a fault. Numbers matching car guys don’t expect the battery and wipers to be original, because shit has to work otherwise its a hunk of junk

29 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Theres no reason to try and make people like that  happy. That’s being picky to a fault. Numbers matching car guys don’t expect the battery and wipers to be original, because shit has to work otherwise its a hunk of junk

It’s all relative to how important the game is. For all the 99% of games it probably won’t matter. If there was a game as rare as Stadium Events that used a battery, people would probably think twice before desoldering the original battery..

Not that there is a battery save Gameboy game that actually exists with Stadium Events level of rarity. But conceptually I think you can see what I’m saying