IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Editorials Team · Posted

Funnily enough I just watched Romancing/Jewel last weekend. 

I had only seen pieces of Romancing on cable here and there, and I hadn't seen Jewel in 25 years (when I unwittingly rented it, not knowing it was a sequel)

Romancing still holds up.  Jewel is pretty skippable.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I am familiar with them, but have never sat down to watch them. Anyone have a way to create more time? Asking for a friend.

DaVinci movie watching.  Watch 10 minutes a day, from the bathroom, using a system of mirrors to see the TV 

• Wow! 1

7 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm about half way in.  I'd say that's a good comparison.  It's a bit slow, but this was also made in the early-80s.  I kind of like that everything wasn't so  fast paced back then.  Not a bad film so far.

I found the best thing about those films was Danny DeVito. He always cracks me up.

@RH

If you haven't seen this you might enjoy it:

It is one of the few really good Charles Band projects - there  were a bunch of sequels but they were mediocre at best.  Tim Thomerson is good when he has the material to work with - Helen Hunt and he played really well off of each other in this one.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

My family used to quote the "De Joan Wilder" line all the time as a joke.

I just got to that bit.  It reminds me of a story of my wife's now-deceased Grand Mother and Grand Father.  They were farmers in there younger days and still lived way out in rural NC in the 80s, but they loved to travel every few years and would go abroad.  One year, on a cruise they made friends with a guy from Colombia.  That was how Granny was--never met anyone she wasn't nice to and easily "best friends" with anyone.  Well, this guy was a "business man" and towards the end of the cruise, invited them to come and stay at his place for a week.. in Colombia.  Being... naive, they followed up on it and went and spent a week on his compound.  Though absolutely-zero "business" was conducted, the compound certainly had guards around the perimeter, packing machine guns.  When her grand parents returned home, they were shortly visited by the FBI, interviewed and I think they even had their house searched--it was a big deal.

So yes, my wife's grand parents made friends with a Colombian drug lord.  I feel like he was like this guy--ready to kill anyone suspicious but once he knows you/makes friends with you, he'd treat you like a king!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RH said:

I just got to that bit.  It reminds me of a story of my wife's now-deceased Grand Mother and Grand Father.  They were farmers in there younger days and still lived way out in rural NC in the 80s, but they loved to travel every few years and would go abroad.  One year, on a cruise they made friends with a guy from Colombia.  That was how Granny was--never met anyone she wasn't nice to and easily "best friends" with anyone.  Well, this guy was a "business man" and towards the end of the cruise, invited them to come and stay at his place for a week.. in Colombia.  Being... naive, they followed up on it and went and spent a week on his compound.  Though absolutely-zero "business" was conducted, the compound certainly had guards around the perimeter, packing machine guns.  When her grand parents returned home, they were shortly visited by the FBI, interviewed and I think they even had their house searched--it was a big deal.

So yes, my wife's grand parents made friends with a Colombian drug lord.  I feel like he was like this guy--ready to kill anyone suspicious but once he knows you/makes friends with you, he'd treat you like a king!

That's an awesome story, except for the FBI part.  

To add to my story, over the years as my family overused the "De Joan Wilder" line, after a while it slowly changed to "De Gene Wilder" and we used it any time Gene Wilder came up in conversation or appeared in any movie we saw.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched The Night House yesterday on HBO Max. I don’t know how this movie got such good reviews. It’s a horror movie that tries to subvert expectations. However, I saw part of the twist coming early. I find one of the big reveals to be handled with lack of respect for what happened. I also found some significant plot points to be completely undeveloped. Like Malignant, I was disappointed in this movie, but at least Malignant was aware enough to not take itself too seriously.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, ICrappedMyPants said:

I watched The Night House yesterday on HBO Max. I don’t know how this movie got such good reviews. It’s a horror movie that tries to subvert expectations. However, I saw part of the twist coming early. I find one of the big reveals to be handled with lack of respect for what happened. I also found some significant plot points to be completely undeveloped. Like Malignant, I was disappointed in this movie, but at least Malignant was aware enough to not take itself too seriously.

"Horror" movies that I've liked the past few years... very few. The two that readily come to mind are The Witch, which is a slow burn but I thought beautiful and interesting from the beginning. And The Lighthouse which is just crazy, beautiful, with a small but important dash of Lovecraft 🙂

40 minutes ago, avatar! said:

"Horror" movies that I've liked the past few years... very few. The two that readily come to mind are The Witch, which is a slow burn but I thought beautiful and interesting from the beginning. And The Lighthouse which is just crazy, beautiful, with a small but important dash of Lovecraft 🙂

Both of those are Robert Eggers. I liked The Witch, but couldn't stand The Lighthouse.

27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

One Piece still. Currently on episode 453.

I think I admire you for being able to sit through a cartoon series that has no end in sight. You've spent roughly 7.55 whole days watching. Myself, I could never do that. I also can't stand MMOs, so there you go 🙂

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I think I admire you for being able to sit through a cartoon series that has no end in sight. You've spent roughly 7.55 whole days watching. Myself, I could never do that. I also can't stand MMOs, so there you go 🙂

I have over 300 days spent on Runescape. >_>

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

I haven't seen The Northman yet, but look forward to that! Hopefully it will be delightful like the rest of his wacky movies 🙂

He definitely has a unique sensibility.

I read somewhere that when he was starting out, he pitched a ton of fucked up ideas for movies, and the films he manages to make are like, the least fucked up.

14 hours ago, drxandy said:

Saw this in the theater last weekend and it was pretty fun, a lot going on but some really nice fight scenes and a lot of humor. 

I saw the trailer for this awhile back and it looked really interesting.  I somehow forgot about it but was reminded of it yesterday and now today. Going to see it sometime this week.

• Like 1

I watched The Batman last night on HBO Max as my son woke up with a stomach bug and I was washing his bed set.

I really liked the tone of the movie. It felt almost like a Noir film to me. I think it was about a half an hour too long, but I liked Pattinson’s take on Batman. I liked the emphasis on his detective skills and he felt more gritty than other Batman iterations. To me, the best part of the other Batman movies were the villains. I was a bit disappointed in that area in this movie. Alfred also didn’t really get to shine in this movie. I did like the take on Oz and Catwoman though. Overall, I kind of put this one ups there with Batman Begins.

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I watched The Batman last night on HBO Max as my son woke up with a stomach bug and I was washing his bed set.

I really liked the tone of the movie. It felt almost like a Noir film to me. I think it was about a half an hour too long, but I liked Pattinson’s take on Batman. I liked the emphasis on his detective skills and he felt more gritty than other Batman iterations. To me, the best part of the other Batman movies were the villains. I was a bit disappointed in that area in this movie. Alfred also didn’t really get to shine in this movie. I did like the take on Oz and Catwoman though. Overall, I kind of put this one ups there with Batman Begins.

Interesting.  I might have to give that one a try when it comes out on DVD and I can borrow it from the library.

This weekend I watched Invaders from Mars.  Man, I loved this one as a kid.  Wasn't bad but just kind of bland.  I was hoping for something that was bad in an awesome way.  Oh well, maybe this weekend I'll watch The Last Starfighter to fill that void.  I haven't watch it in probably 20 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RH said:

Interesting.  I might have to give that one a try when it comes out on DVD and I can borrow it from the library.

This weekend I watched Invaders from Mars.  Man, I loved this one as a kid.  Wasn't bad but just kind of bland.  I was hoping for something that was bad in an awesome way.  Oh well, maybe this weekend I'll watch The Last Starfighter to fill that void.  I haven't watch it in probably 20 years.

I will say, ask much as I like his take on Batman, I don’t know that I like his Bruce so much. I like Keaton and Bale’s takes on Bruce Wayne better. Overall, I think it was a solid movie, especially for a comic book movie. 

• Like 1

I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night. It was a really well done movie. The language was a bit much for my sense, but I still enjoyed it. My only complaint would be that the ending kind of ruined some character development.

Edited by ICrappedMyPants
  • Like 1