IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Movies? Television? Web-stuff? What have you recently been watching?

I recently got this as a gift

719YRwSgk3L._SL1456_.jpg.c03ad0110ebcdc02826e3be84a40f6b6.jpg

Beautiful set, absolutely recommend it to a fan of Herzog or similar international director! When you watch his movies, it's amazing how relevant the subject matter is despite the fact that the films were made decades ago (some over 40 years ago)! The cinematography, the sound, the stories... there's also often some comedy in his films, but much like other luminaries such as Bergman, it's not for the faint of heart...

🙂

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

I've been watching a documentary on how castles were made called "Secrets of the Castle." There are no explosions or laser gun battles but if you're in a mellow mood they're pretty neat. I didn't know they used human hamster wheel machines to lift heavy stones and things up to the tops of the walls.

"In the series the team takes part in the medieval construction project at Guédelon Castle in Treigny, France. They reveal what kind of skills and crafts were needed to build a castle in the 13th century by using the techniques, tools and materials of the era."

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, galacticlint said:

I've been watching a documentary on how castles were made called "Secrets of the Castle." There are no explosions or laser gun battles but if you're in a mellow mood they're pretty neat. I didn't know they used human hamster wheel machines to lift heavy stones and things up to the tops of the walls.

"In the series the team takes part in the medieval construction project at Guédelon Castle in Treigny, France. They reveal what kind of skills and crafts were needed to build a castle in the 13th century by using the techniques, tools and materials of the era."

Sounds interesting, I’ll check this out.

I’ve been watching Mindhunter. It’s a TV series based off the real research down by the FBI to profile serial killers. Definitely recommend people check it out if you are interested in crime.

1 hour ago, galacticlint said:

Another really cool documentary series along the same lines is Modern History TV, which is narrated and produced by Jason Kingsley OBE, who is actually the CEO of a British video game company! That said, this show is really amazing and deals with life during the Medieval period. It deals with "things" you might not normally consider, such as what did peasants eat and how did they prepare their food?

• 3 weeks later...

Currently watching The Good Place with my wife. Just finished season one and really enjoyed it. It's clever and funny in a way that is rare for modern sitcoms.

I've also been watching some terrible movies lately (X-Men Dark Phoenix, The Predator, Glass, ugh). I am a big cinephile and adore truly good films, but I'm also a glutton for punishment.

• Like 1

Last week, I finished season 2 of Doom Patrol. Loved the show on the whole. Both seasons had their strengths and think I liked season 1 more overall but absolutely some of the most entertaining television I've watched in quite a while. My only agony now is having to wait several months (at least) until season 3 comes out.

With that out of the way, I've been trying to get some more movies tackled. Either re-watches of old favorite or finally getting some backlog stuff checked off. Just revisited The Muppet Movie (1979) and Who Framed Roger Rabbit again last week and I picked up a cheap, used copy of John Wick on 4K, so I'll probably give that another spin this week.

I'm feeling the hankering to watch The Godfather again. Maybe this weekend.

Oh...and I've been trying to catch up on my classic Samurai cinema and have been making my way through the Lone Wolf and Cub series of films. Honestly, I've enjoyed them immensely thus far. After that, I plan to watch both of the Lady Snowblood films. Looking forward to that.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 3:17 AM, avatar! said:

Another really cool documentary series along the same lines is Modern History TV, which is narrated and produced by Jason Kingsley OBE, who is actually the CEO of a British video game company! That said, this show is really amazing and deals with life during the Medieval period. It deals with "things" you might not normally consider, such as what did peasants eat and how did they prepare their food?

I've seen a couple of these and quite enjoyed them. If you like that kind of stuff, I also really recommend another Youtube series called "Tasting History with Max Miller", where he takes ancient recipes and tries to recreate them. As he's doing so, he also explores the history of the time and place in which those recipes originate. It's pretty fascinating and well-produced.

2 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Last week, I finished season 2 of Doom Patrol. Loved the show on the whole. Both seasons had their strengths and think I liked season 1 more overall but absolutely some of the most entertaining television I've watched in quite a while. My only agony now is having to wait several months (at least) until season 3 comes out.

With that out of the way, I've been trying to get some more movies tackled. Either re-watches of old favorite or finally getting some backlog stuff checked off. Just revisited The Muppet Movie (1979) and Who Framed Roger Rabbit again last week and I picked up a cheap, used copy of John Wick on 4K, so I'll probably give that another spin this week.

I'm feeling the hankering to watch The Godfather again. Maybe this weekend.

Oh...and I've been trying to catch up on my classic Samurai cinema and have been making my way through the Lone Wolf and Cub series of films. Honestly, I've enjoyed them immensely thus far. After that, I plan to watch both of the Lady Snowblood films. Looking forward to that.

Have you watched the new Director's Cut of The Godfather Part III or are you planning to? The original version is such a stain on the franchise that I don't know if I can ever force myself through any version of it again.

48 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Have you watched the new Director's Cut of The Godfather Part III or are you planning to? The original version is such a stain on the franchise that I don't know if I can ever force myself through any version of it again.

I haven't seen the Director's Cut but I am curious to know how drastically it changes things. While Part III was kind of a let down in context with the first two, it's not that bad of a film on it's own merit. I have heard about much of the behind-the-scenes pressure for why it was even made in the first place (Coppola's production company was running out of money and needed to crank out some hits to stay afloat, hence we get Godfather 3 in '90 and Dracula in '92) and that there was plenty of studio tampering that made it into what it eventually became. I will say though, that the final scene of the film is one that always really worked for me and I find it the perfect way to bookend the story of Michael Corleone.

I don't revisit the sequels often. I always thought Godfather Part II was okay but not something I find all that interesting to re-watch. The original, though, is a film I can watch over and over again.

20 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I don't revisit the sequels often. I always thought Godfather Part II was okay but not something I find all that interesting to re-watch. The original, though, is a film I can watch over and over again.

Yes, the original is fabulous. Part II was as you noted, okay. Part III is mostly boring.

40 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I haven't seen the Director's Cut but I am curious to know how drastically it changes things. While Part III was kind of a let down in context with the first two, it's not that bad of a film on it's own merit. I have heard about much of the behind-the-scenes pressure for why it was even made in the first place (Coppola's production company was running out of money and needed to crank out some hits to stay afloat, hence we get Godfather 3 in '90 and Dracula in '92) and that there was plenty of studio tampering that made it into what it eventually became. I will say though, that the final scene of the film is one that always really worked for me and I find it the perfect way to bookend the story of Michael Corleone.

19 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yes, the original is fabulous. Part II was as you noted, okay. Part III is mostly boring.

Oh man, I actually think Part II is the true masterpiece. But whenever I'm asked to make a list of the greatest films of all-time, I just cheat and put both movies as one spot on my list.

Have you guys read the book? I actually read it before I watched the movies and it is an absolute classic. One of the rare cases where both the book and movie are perfect.

14 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Have you guys read the book? I actually read it before I watched the movies and it is an absolute classic. One of the rare cases where both the book and movie are perfect.

I haven't read it but I have a friend who has and insists that it's an absolute masterpiece. I would like to read it at some point. My reading backlog is so massive now that I'm not sure I'll get to all of it. Maybe once my kids are grown, out of the house and I have more quiet time, I'll be able to read again like I used to. My "reading focus" is very delicate. I need absolute silence and a comfy chair to get any reading done. Otherwise, I just end up re-reading the same page over and over and not absorbing any of it due to the distractions. 🙄

But Puzo's Godfather is one of those high on my list to get read.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
14 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Oh man, I actually think Part II is the true masterpiece. But whenever I'm asked to make a list of the greatest films of all-time, I just cheat and put both movies as one spot on my list.

Agreed, I can’t imagine loving the first one and not thinking the second is a masterpiece. 

11 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Agreed, I can’t imagine loving the first one and not thinking the second is a masterpiece. 

I don't quite know what it is for me but Part II just isn't nearly as compelling as the first. I know I'm not a big fan of the Vito flashback sequences, for one. Also, I think, by the end of the original film, Michael's story is pretty much told. All the events of Part II are essentially just confirmation of the "downward spiral" that we witness him become entangled in by the end of Part I. The final scene of Part I, with Kay closing the door on Michael as he stands in the parlor is one of the most succinct closing shots in film history.

The Michael-Fredo stuff was probably the best part of Part II. Everything else fell kind of flat for me. To be fair, I haven't watched it again in a few years. Maybe I should give it another go and see if I was wrong in my impressions of it.

Edited by Webhead123

26 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I don't quite know what it is for me but Part II just isn't nearly as compelling as the first. I know I'm not a big fan of the Vito flashback sequences, for one. Also, I think, by the end of the original film, Michael's story is pretty much told. All the events of Part II are essentially just confirmation of the "downward spiral" that we witness him become entangled in by the end of Part I. The final scene of Part I, with Kay closing the door on Michael as he stands in the parlor is one of the most succinct closing shots in film history.

The Michael-Fredo stuff was probably the best part of Part II. Everything else fell kind of flat for me. To be fair, I haven't watched it again in a few years. Maybe I should give it another go and see if I was wrong in my impressions of it.

No, you were right 🙂

I watched all three films in order not long ago (this past year) and Part II is definitely a fair film any way you look at it, but the flashbacks almost come across as filler. It was a decent effort, but the first film is just mesmerizing with no filler. Everything in the first film from the beginning until the ending is just epic and powerful with scenes that are legendary.

First Film = 5/5 a legendary production

Second Film = 3.5/5 entertaining but not in the same league as the first

Third Film = 2.5/5 well, they needed money

Edited by avatar!

My wife and I are in-between a watching plan.  We've been watching our go-to veg out TV shows, depending on the mood, which is Rick Steve's Europe, RiffTrax/MST3k and we'll hop around the MCU movies.  We have Thor Ragnarok coming in from the library soon, which is one of our favorites.

We just shut off Disney Plus so we need to find something new to watch on Hulu or Amazon.

4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Watching Scrubs right now. Super funny sitcom.

Also been watching the Chucky movies. Man are they such cornbally films!

Man, I loved those as a kid.  I don't think I ever got around to see Bride of Chucky, though.  That one was after my time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Scrubs was a show I only ever caught sporadically, so at one point I wanted to try to start at the beginning and watch it all the way through. As with many TV shows...there's just *so many* episodes to get through and I just feel overwhelmed.

That said, every single episode of Scrubs I've ever seen is hilarious, so I really should just power through my hesitation and enjoy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Also been watching the Chucky movies. Man are they such cornbally films!

Scrubs is a fabulous series. I've known many MDs that have said "I can't stand medical shows like Grey's Anatomy or House - they're crap! but Scrubs is the only such show I actually like"

Also, the last season of Scrubs is utter crap, don't watch it - it will ruin it for you, but the other seasons especially the first three or four are golden.

• Like 2

F Grey's Anatomy. It's barely a medical show. Whatever it is, it's just a steaming pile of maudlin treacle mixed with lazy humor.

St. Elsewhere is the best American medical drama of all time and criminally neglected nowadays. It doesn't even have a DVD release, although it's free on IMDBtv (with ads). St. Elsewhere is the shit and I had huge crushes on Sagan Lewis and Cynthia Sikes back as an impressionable lad.

The late 60s - mid70s drama Medical Center is pretty dope too. Haven't seen that one since it was on one of the Nick at Nite type stations a while ago now.