IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Finishing up Chernobyl. I actually found it to be pretty underwhelming and I'm surprised it's so highly rated. I mean, it is a quality show and the event itself is interesting, but the characters are extraordinarily uninteresting. They are all one dimensional and there is little reason to care about them. Despite being only five episodes long, the show has a lot of filler which really slows the pace and distracts from the truly interesting stuff. I'm having a tough time thinking of anyone I'd recommend it to.

I loved Chernobyl. I found the characters and situation very relatable. Consider the scientists that strive to tell the truth despite the political opposition - well, that certainly is no different than today when you consider COVID. Also, you have to keep in mind, living under an oppressive communist regime, the scientists (or anyone) could have been shot without any warning. I really enjoyed all the little tidbits they showed in the show, which was incredibly historically accurate (I spent sometime looking up articles on Chernobyl afterwards)!  I really enjoy historically accurate television shows, and I think it did everything right. However, I certainly respect your opinion and realize we all have different tastes 🙂

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I recently finished the show Dark on Netflix and it was excellent! One of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a long time. I highly suggest keeping the original German audio and watching with subtitles. It's slightly confusing at first and you have to pay attention but it's worth it. I felt like they could've had 1 or 2 more seasons but they managed to tell a pretty incredible story in just 3. I don't want to spoil anything but if you like time travel this show is for you!

10 out of 10 show

Dark.png

Edited by Radagast
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Radagast said:

I recently finished the show Dark on Netflix and it was excellent! One of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a long time. I highly suggest keeping the original German audio and watching with subtitles. It's slightly confusing at first and you have to pay attention but it's worth it. I felt like they could've had 1 or 2 more seasons but they managed to tell a pretty incredible story in just 3.

Dark.png

Absolutely love this show, it’s become one of my favourite shows ever. I think they ended it perfectly with three seasons. It seemed like they had the story they wanted to tell and then end it on a good note. I loved how everything by the end just fell into place and all started to make sense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@darkchylde28just made me watch the new Kevin Smith MOTU series.  I don't understand why anyone hates this.  It's dramatic, it had me on the edge of my seat, the characters were great, and the script and plot were far above average.   It ended on a cliff hanger that has me *hooked*.  

Seriously.  Just like with Star Wars, toxic fan boys need to sit down and STFU because their pet theory or plot point didn't get included.

• Wow! 1

On 8/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Finishing up Chernobyl. I actually found it to be pretty underwhelming and I'm surprised it's so highly rated. I mean, it is a quality show and the event itself is interesting, but the characters are extraordinarily uninteresting. They are all one dimensional and there is little reason to care about them. Despite being only five episodes long, the show has a lot of filler which really slows the pace and distracts from the truly interesting stuff. I'm having a tough time thinking of anyone I'd recommend it to.

I've also been watching Captain Falcon and the Winter Soldier and it's just terrible. I'm a big fan of the MCU and I adored Wanda Vision, but this show is absolute drivel. The plot is awful, pacing is abysmal, and the melodramatic acting is embarrassing. All the behind-the-scenes problems and multiple delays make a lot of sense now. I think it's easily the worst thing in the MCU (ignoring the Netflix shows and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D).

I also watched the new Suicide Squad movie this weekend. It's a massive improvement over the original and a lot of fun. As with most superhero movies, it lacks an interesting villain and a lot of the Harley Quinn stuff slows the movie down, but overall it's really enjoyable. Definitely recommended if you like your action movies silly and violent.

I'm going to ignore that you didn't like FATWS, and say that WandaVision was the best thing on TV in YEARS.  Probably since GOT went south back in Season 6.   

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:35 PM, avatar! said:

MASH was not my favorite show, but sure is a hell of a lot better than Grey's Anatomy... which is really saying very very little I realize.

Zach Braff Scrubs GIF

My sister works in a hospital.  There was an episode of Scrubs where everyone was sharing their best moment in medicine, and one of the nurses was like "That time the Doctor knew my name!"  And for my sister the X-Ray Tech, that was absolutely her best moment, when the surgeon she was assisting asked for her by name.  

Also, the time that Kelso and Carla had an exchange that went "The patient has malaria and you didn't tell him yet?"  "I was going to the bakery first."  "You needed a sticky bun that badly?"  "Well he's going to live at least another 12 hours, but the bakery closes at 5."

17 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

@darkchylde28just made me watch the new Kevin Smith MOTU series.  I don't understand why anyone hates this.  It's dramatic, it had me on the edge of my seat, the characters were great, and the script and plot were far above average.   It ended on a cliff hanger that has me *hooked*.  

Seriously.  Just like with Star Wars, toxic fan boys need to sit down and STFU because their pet theory or plot point didn't get included.

Yeah, I'm left scratching my head as well.  Unlike most fanboys who like to claim such, I actually did love the MOTU universe as a kid, and continuing on from there.  I remember seeing the toys first but not actually being given any until after I had been exposed (and succumbed) to the Filmation cartoon.  As other kids of that era did, I kept and collected as many of the mini comics as I could (I kept a friend's together and in good shape, as he had the awesome really early ones but didn't care for them, although he would never trade them to me).  Unlike most kids of that era, I actually read any and all MOTU/He-Man comics I could get my hands on, starting with the original DC 3 issue series which more or less mirrored the early mini comics, then continuing with the Marvel books (published under the "kiddie" Star Comics imprint).

I actually stuck with the series until its cancellation in 1988.  The final storyline?  He-Man is "dead," disappearing for many years, allowing Skeletor to finally take power while the rest of the heroes did what they could to defend justice and the innocent.  Sound kind of familiar?  It's been a long, long time since I read that story, but I've always loved the concept, and Kevin Smith seeming to riff off of that while doing more justice to the characters that traditionally took a back seat to He-Man than the cartoon or comics ever did felt fantastic.  He took the plotlines and threads that already existed, just under the surface, and brought them to the forefront.  Anyone complaining about how the franchise never had this sort of thing going on, never intended for it to happen, etc., obviously wasn't paying any attention all those years ago.

The one thing that I am somewhat disappointed in regarding the new series is the fact that despite Kevin Smith claiming otherwise, MOTU Revelations is not, in fact, a direct sequel to the events of the Filmation series.  In the original run (cartoon + mini comics, as they influenced one another back and forth and made sure to keep the same continuity beyond the earliest mini comics), they were building to the reveal that Skeletor was actually, originally, Keldor, King Randor's elder brother, who was actually a legitimate son of the previous king, and had his birthright/throne somewhat unjustly yanked from his grasp.  Unfortunately, the series as a whole (cartoon & toys + mini comics) got cancelled before they were able to bring the final issue or two of the mini comic exposing those details to retail (and presumably adapt that into a Filmation cartoon for everyone to enjoy).  Revelations has a companion comic releasing alongside it that redefined Skeletor's origin as him being from a skull-faced race from another world/dimension, returning the character to his original origin story from the first mini comics (and DC 3 issue series), which breaks from Filmation continuity, making the new series something else.  It's still a great series, but sadly not a direct continuation of the original stories.

Regardless, I'm happy with the new series, fed up with all the supposed "fans" who can't seem to let any of the properties from their childhood actually grow and progress to their natural evolutions, and happy that there's yet another new MOTU series on the horizon, even if I can immediately tell from the trailer that it's absolutely not for me.

Events Team · Posted

On 8/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, Radagast said:

I recently finished the show Dark on Netflix and it was excellent! One of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a long time. I highly suggest keeping the original German audio and watching with subtitles. It's slightly confusing at first and you have to pay attention but it's worth it. I felt like they could've had 1 or 2 more seasons but they managed to tell a pretty incredible story in just 3. I don't want to spoil anything but if you like time travel this show is for you!

10 out of 10 show

Dark.png

On 8/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Shmup said:

Absolutely love this show, it’s become one of my favourite shows ever. I think they ended it perfectly with three seasons. It seemed like they had the story they wanted to tell and then end it on a good note. I loved how everything by the end just fell into place and all started to make sense. 

Man, I was really enjoying this series and it seemed to lose all momentum in the 3rd season and I lost interest.  Idk why but the alternate timeline became hokey and I just couldn't plow through it.  I really wanted to like it.

2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Man, I was really enjoying this series and it seemed to lose all momentum in the 3rd season and I lost interest.  Idk why but the alternate timeline became hokey and I just couldn't plow through it.  I really wanted to like it.

I actually did feel the same way at first (I put the rest in a spoiler in case people are watching it.)

Spoiler

I was a bit disappointed that there was an alternative timeline and thought to myself why did they have to go down this storyline? But by the end it all makes sense and I'm glad they did it. I do recommend trying to get through it and hopefully you end up liking the conclusion.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I've been watching Breaking Bad. I've seen clips before from my wife watching it but I've never sat and invested the time to watch it myself all the way through. 

Be forewarned, it gets to be more and more and more of a train wreck the longer you go, so unless it just rings all the specific bells for you, prepare to need to strap yourself in for the last season, to season and a half or so.  I ended up having to take a break and then get back to it to finish out the last season, then dawdled at watching the additional material movie that Netflix put out.  It was all good, but quite a lot to take in, and all getting progressively darker the longer you're watching it, all the way to the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

81mEzpQw0CS._RI_.jpg

I LOVE my "lawyer" show.  I'm always stoked to watch it and like how it tries to adapt to current real world issues/topics yet though a TV plot spin on them.  I have a hard time explaining it but I just LOVE this show.

Did you ever watch The Good Wife?  It was pretty well done I thought, and the precursor to this show.  It had Julianna Margulies, who I thought did a really good job.

Social Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Did you ever watch The Good Wife?  It was pretty well done I thought, and the precursor to this show.  It had Julianna Margulies, who I thought did a really good job.

I watched the first two season of The Good Fight before Nette let me know about the Good Wife and I watched all of it.  I enjoyed it too.  Funny thing is I remember watching small clips of The Good Fight with her and just caulked it up as a show she likes but I'm not not a big TV watcher so I just pass.  She's got me to watched some old TV shows that were top favorites of hers.  I do like how I can binge watch the TV series but it's messed up when we are talking 6+ seasons of something.  I think I started watching Supernatural when there was like 8 season of it to binge through.  It took months to get caught up.

Social Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Be forewarned, it gets to be more and more and more of a train wreck the longer you go, so unless it just rings all the specific bells for you, prepare to need to strap yourself in for the last season, to season and a half or so.  I ended up having to take a break and then get back to it to finish out the last season, then dawdled at watching the additional material movie that Netflix put out.  It was all good, but quite a lot to take in, and all getting progressively darker the longer you're watching it, all the way to the end.

I remember there was like was season that was painfully slow and not as engaging.  But man, that last season with the ending.  I felt good with how it ended.  Too many good serious just end on a very bad note.  I thought they did it well but that's just my personal opinion.  I'm not sure if the general public felt the same or not.  I'm not very good with what "pop culture" thinks of thinks like this.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've been watching Breaking Bad. I've seen clips before from my wife watching it but I've never sat and invested the time to watch it myself all the way through. 

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad. I honestly thought it was a bit too long, and there was certainly a bit of filler. But overall, an excellent series with a very well-done script and excellent acting. Other shows that I feel are comparable include: The Wire, and The Sopranos. All worth watching. The best of the bunch is definitely The Wire. I would rate The Wire as a solid A, and the other two as B+/A- 🙂

Edited by avatar!

• 2 weeks later...

I've always considered myself a film buff, but I'm still weak on the true classics of cinema. I'm slowly rectifying that and I just finally watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I must say that the film absolutely holds up and is fascinating on so many levels. I didn't know much about the plot although the Rosebud reveal had been ruined for me by being immersed in modern day pop culture. Still, I was struck by the quality of the story, the perfect pacing, the fantastic acting, and revolutionary cinematography. It's actually hard to believe the film was released in 1941 as it is still extremely watchable. It was fun to see all the ways it has influenced both classic and modern films. I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, avatar! said:

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad. I honestly thought it was a bit too long, and there was certainly a bit of filler. But overall, an excellent series with a very well-done script and excellent acting. Other shows that I feel are comparable include: The Wire, and The Sopranos. All worth watching. The best of the bunch is definitely The Wire. I would rate The Wire as a solid A, and the other two as B+/A- 🙂

Ya, the wire is a 10 for me. 

Michael K. Williams died. 😞

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I've been watching Mad Men

I love the props, costumes, etc. but... is the show supposed to be fairly boring? Because it is. Granted I'm still on disc 2 of season 1, so I'll give it some time.

It has a slow start but really pickups towards the end of season 1. Loved this show and was sad when it ended but it didn’t want to overstay its welcome.

• Thanks 1