IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DarkTone said:

X men 97

I've heard of that.

And by that, I mean that the other night while watching a YouTube video, about every 3 minutes I was forced to watch the exact same 10 second, unskippable ad for X-Men 97.  

So I've heard of it many, many, many, many times.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guests · Posted

I decided to watch The Chosen recently. It is actually quite interesting. I just love how it has great perspective of the human nature of Jesus, which is not normally represented so much and so well. Even if you aren’t religious, it is certainly an interesting watch.

Edited by GamerSmith548

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching Fallout. I'm digging it so far.

I also just watched The Godfather for the first time.  This is going to be mostly criticism so I'll preface this by saying I thought it was decent, although I might have enjoyed it more if I had gone in with lower expectations. It's been hyped up as "one of the greatest movies of all time!" and it did not live up to that. It's so penetrated cultural consciousness that there were so many scenes where I recognized the dialogue from quotes I've heard, or knew what was about to happen from other movies/shows doing references/homages/parodies. (this must be how someone watching Star Wars for the first time must feel). That feeling of familiarity is certainly not helped by an extremely straightforward and predictable plot. I remember starting this movie once many years ago, and not making it past the opening wedding scene. (That scene really is interminable!). I wonder if Pacino's more scene-chewing acting style that he adopted in the 80s and 90s came from watching Brando work? Because here, he's playing it much more subdued. His transition from a man desiring a civilian life separate from the family mafia business to becoming all in was a lot more abrupt than I was expecting. And they never gave us his response to his first wife being murdered... did he just forget about it when he came back home? His big move to take out his enemies didn't really show any clever schemes or strategies... just a montage of guys getting gunned down while he's attending the christening. If it was so easy, why didn't they just do that in the first place?

1 hour ago, G-type said:

Just started watching Fallout. I'm digging it so far.

I also just watched The Godfather for the first time.  This is going to be mostly criticism so I'll preface this by saying I thought it was decent, although I might have enjoyed it more if I had gone in with lower expectations. It's been hyped up as "one of the greatest movies of all time!" and it did not live up to that. It's so penetrated cultural consciousness that there were so many scenes where I recognized the dialogue from quotes I've heard, or knew what was about to happen from other movies/shows doing references/homages/parodies. (this must be how someone watching Star Wars for the first time must feel). That feeling of familiarity is certainly not helped by an extremely straightforward and predictable plot. I remember starting this movie once many years ago, and not making it past the opening wedding scene. (That scene really is interminable!). I wonder if Pacino's more scene-chewing acting style that he adopted in the 80s and 90s came from watching Brando work? Because here, he's playing it much more subdued. His transition from a man desiring a civilian life separate from the family mafia business to becoming all in was a lot more abrupt than I was expecting. And they never gave us his response to his first wife being murdered... did he just forget about it when he came back home? His big move to take out his enemies didn't really show any clever schemes or strategies... just a montage of guys getting gunned down while he's attending the christening. If it was so easy, why didn't they just do that in the first place?

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are answers to all of your questions. I'm not going to get into all of it, but a great question --

If it was so easy, why didn't they just do that in the first place?

Vito Corleone had negotiated peace to bring an end to the war between the five families, and that pact could not be broken as long as Vito was alive. Also, the book goes into much more detail, it's not as easy as it "seems" in the movie. I no other words, it's not that they could have just done that at any time.

I personally think it's a masterpiece of a movie. From the acting, cinematography, music, and complex themes, it's something special. It's also groundbreaking, and inspired numerous movies -- not just Hollywood hits like The Irishman, but numerous films across the world. All that doesn't mean you have to like it, but there are many reasons it's considered one of the greatest films of all time.

• Agree 1

I commented recently re: Community, how it was too bad Chevy Chase couldn't get along with the cast and enjoy his time there... as Community was probably the best and funniest project he was ever a part of.  People were aghast that I would hold Community above:  Vacation 1-4, Fletch 1-2, Three Amigos, Spies Like Us, Caddyshack. I've only seen the first 3 Vacation movies. The first was ok. I saw European super long ago and don't remember it. I still like Christmas vacation, but it doesn't hold up as well. Never watched Three Amigos because I thought the image of them in their costumes on the horses looked lame. Never watched Caddyshack because I'm not a fan of Rodney Dangerfield.

Last night I decided to watch Fletch. Super convoluted plot, way too much for a light a comedy. The movie was amusing, but not really laugh out loud funny.. Fletch is mostly making sarcastic quips with a running gag of him being bad at making up fake names or coming up with lies for his cover stories (but the people around him rarely call him out on his bullshit). Still the movie had kind of a cool vibe which was definitely helped by the Beverly Hills Cop-esque synth score. Plus Chevy was always good at improvising the physical comedy: schtick like getting his head caught in the light fixture or missing his mouth with the straw really go a long way. I can see why people who watched this a lot on VHS as kids have fond memories of it. Another movie that did this comedy/investigation story thing a little better was The Nice Guys. I'll keep watching more Chevy movies, but so far Community remains undefeated.

Edited by G-type

18 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: The Initiation Made the Bold, Idiotic  Decision to Forego the Whole "Killer Santa" Shtick for Cronenbergian Body  Horror

Holy shit is this a bizarre-ass movie.  And why they decided to make it a part of this franchise is beyond me

Silent Night Deadly Night 4 — Trailer Trash — Neon Splatter

I've always been "impressed" that people keep making sequels to poorly-received B-films. I looked at RT and the audience score for the first film is 40% -- and that's the highest score for the series by far -- well, clearly someone is making money on these somehow 🙂

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I've always been "impressed" that people keep making sequels to poorly-received B-films. I looked at RT and the audience score for the first film is 40% -- and that's the highest score for the series by far -- well, clearly someone is making money on these somehow 🙂

Silent Night Deadly Night - a by-the-book slasher trying to ride on the coattails of Halloween, Black Christmas, and Christmas Evil.

SNDN2 - an even more forgettable sequel that nowadays solely exists as a garbage day meme.

SNDN3 - Bill Mosely is a guy with an exposed brain now, for some reason.

SNDN4 - Clint Howard is the muscle (wtf?) for a coven of witches (or something) that wants to impregnate women with giant insects that cause you to spontaneously combust and/or possibly turn into some sort of body morphing worm human, so that you can cut open and pour the worm juice onto yourself or something (wtf?).

SNDN5 - Micky Rooney made a murder Pinocchio, which itself invented murder rollerblades.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think the cast and crew's hatred of Chevy was a benefit at times, as they drew up plots designed the torture him 😆

except for the time he walked off the set and didn't film the final scene of "digital estate planning", forcing them to cut the emotional tag to the episode.

Just finished this on Netflix --

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. First, the actors -- Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, as well as the supporting cast are fabulous. The movie is quite faithful to history -- people often don't realize that Elvis was to an extent also "canceled" during his days by people who thought his music was "inappropriate or un-American".  Also, Elvis was a big supporter of civil rights and this is conveyed accurately in the biopic. He had a lot of ups and downs (like most people), and of course he was "flawed" like any person, but I'm happy to say that while the movie doesn't shy away from that, it also does not put undue emphasis on such things. Presley's final years are often considered sad and tragic -- he was physically and mentally sick, and should have been at the hospital rather than performing. Fortunately, while the movie does get into that, it does not make that a prominent feature. It's clear that the director, Baz Luhrmann, respects Elvis not only for his talent but what he accomplished with his trailblazing music. At the end, it's clear that the movies says "Let's remember Elvis for all the good he has brought to the world with his music. Let's learn from his tragedy, but we should remember him at his best" and I truly appreciate that.

There are some things I felt detracted from the film. First, the special effects are either hit or miss. When they work, they work well. Other times, it feels like I'm watching video from a PS2 game. Luhrmann also directed The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio. That film was flashy, and Elvis follows many similar flashy cinematics which mostly work in this case. The main problem I had with Gatsby is that in the middle of the film there would be modern music playing, which completely removes you from the epoch. Since this is a film about Elvis, clearly the vast majority of music is Elvis! Luhrmann is definitely conveying to the audience "hey, even today Elvis is still influential", which of course is 100% correct. Still, there were a few musical numbers they added that I thought detracted from the period piece. But, as I said, it's not nearly as jarring as in Gatsby. My final criticism would be that it's a long movie. It could have been shortened by at least 20-25 minutes without losing anything.

At the end of the day, I would recommend this movie. While I have no intention of seeing it again anytime soon, it was worth watching.

4 out of 5 stars

My wife picked up Wonka for the kids from the library and we watched it last night.

I really wanted to like that one.  We all did.  But it's not good and borderline terrible.  It's just not an engaging story and it feels like it just goes through the motions.  The music feels sooooo flat, almost to a remarkable point, and in the end you end up feeling like you wish there was something a bit more too the whole package because you want to enjoy the story but instead the whole thing feels lame and phoned in, at best.

I didn't like the Johnny Depp Willy Wonka film and in the end, I actually found myself liking that one more than this one.  The only redeemable aspect to Wonka is that throughout the story, the keen eye might notice very small touchstones to the original Gene Wilder film.  The story feels like it's suppose to be a prequel to that specific film because of that.  But other than that, the film is the most bland experience you could imagine for such an imaginative story. 

I don't recommend it and give it a 2.5 of 10.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1