IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

I've been slowing going through the Infinity Saga.  I've seen a few of the movies already, but 75% will be for the first time.  I'm watching in Timeline order and I'm only watching the movies.  I don't have the time to watch each of the TV series.  I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, so I'm around halfway I think.  

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I finished up Only Murders in the Building on Hulu last week. It was pretty solid with Steve Martin and Martin Short really shining. Highly recommended if you want a lighthearted murder mystery.

We started Westworld season 3 this week and I'm not getting good vibes. Season two was pretty terrible and Delores is way too unlikeable to be the main character. The first season was unbelievably good, but it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle. We'll soldier through, but the words "boring dystopia" kept popping into my head during the first episode of season 3. I'm looking forward to more Bernard, but I think they should've kept the show in the park.

Lastly, I just watched M. Night Shyamalan's Old tonight. Holy cow is that movie terrible. Not as bad as Glass, but that dude does not know how to tell a story anymore. From the editing to the dialogue to the absolutely inane plot, it is just bad. I wouldn't recommend anyone watch that movie. Yikes.

For the rest of my Christmas vacation I'm planning to watch Star Wars 7 - 9. 7 and 8 are rewatches and 9 will be for the first time. I've heard it's pretty bad so expectations are low.

Administrator · Posted

I'm currently watching Castlevania on Netflix.  I finished the first 2 seasons a long time ago (probably stopped before 3rd season was out), and just recently picked up with the 3rd season starting yesterday.

It is a great show that is so much better than I anticipated before beginning it.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Um... I'm watching Star Wars: Visions.  It's a Disney+ mini-series where "the top anime artists" write and make stories set within the SW Universe.  I'm watching the first episode now, The Duel.  For Disney+, it's intense and quite good.  I'm sure some of you would enjoy it.

star-wars-visions-the-elder.jpg?resize=768,432

• Like 1

Anyone who's a huge nerd (as opposed to most of the people here, who are techinically geeks), will enjoy Time Team!  It's on Amazon Prime, and also full episodes are on You-Tube.  It's an archeology show; the team is given three days to do rescue excavation somewhere in the UK, and it's amazing every time.  It's rare that they don't find ANYTHING, but most of the time it's pretty exciting.  

I recommend starting with Turkdean I and II (a newly discovered Roman Villa, the only place they dug twice), The Massacre in the Cellar (English Civil War), and Codnor Castle (a high status stone castle that had been built in stages over the centuries).  They cover every time period, with all the latest (for the time) technology, and since the show was on for 15 years, you can watch the tech get better and better.  

• Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Mortal Kombat Legends on HBO Max. I thought it was a great twist merging the classic and modern MK universe. I hope they make more! It had that Saturday morning cartoon feel, except also delightly more violent, like a mixture of something very adult and childhood nostalgic at the same time. Neither movie is particularly long, so I think it's worth your time if you are a ln MK fan in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright...

- Doc Martin (Season 1) = Complete.
I was hoping they'd show season 9 (the final season), but it was fun watching season 1.

- Blade Runner: Black Lotus (English dub) = Complete.
This one was a disappointment to me. I really liked most of the music to the point I might add it to my (tiny) LP collection. But it was the handling of the characters that managed to disappoint me the most. Same with the pacing that often resulted in me looking up stuff, even if it changed for an action scene. Normally I would re-watch an anime series if the Japanese track was an option. But in this case, I am skipping it.

- Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Season 1) = Complete.
My only issue with The Mandalorian was Gina Carano's offscreen desire to be self-entitled, among a few other things tied to that show. While this show did entertain me, what I liked was the fact they added Black Krrsantan. And the fact they went a totally different route, along with a few spoilers.

The only anime series I am watching is Detective Conan, along with the live-action adaptation Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan (even though I have missed out on seeing the first two episodes).

My wife and I are back to The Good Place for Season 3 after taking a few months off. I'm continually surprised at the quality of this show despite massive changes in the plot from season to season. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a break from all the exhausting and bleak prestige television that's so prominent these days.

I also finally watched Apocalypto last night. That movie is a wild ride and I really enjoyed it. It's actually quite amazing that it exists at all. Say what you want about The Passion of the Christ, but its massive success put Gibson in a unique position to get this movie made. There is absolutely zero chance of something like this being greenlit right now. If you like historical fiction with some heavy action, it's a must-watch. I have a few nitpicks about the first hour pacing, camera work, and quality of the practical effects, but overall it's an impressive feat of movie-making.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the remake of West Side Story. Outside of Maria, I found it to be  inferior to the original even though that is not my favorite musical.

I watched The Last Duel. It was good, but definitely not Ridley Scott’s best. I also watched Mary Queen of Scots and probably preferred that movie to this one.

I finally watched Vertigo and Anatomy of Murder. Jimmy Stewart is amazing. He might be my favorite actor. I can’t wait for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence to come out on 4K. I loved both these movies, but I couldn’t help but laugh at the ending of Vertigo. I also rewatched Psycho. Hitchcock was brilliant.

I watched KIMI. I’m not that big of a Soderbergh fan. He’s more style over substance to me. Zoe Kravitz was great and I appreciate the COVID references. However, the second half of the movie was poorly executed to me.

I also watched BlacKkKlansman. I usually can’t appreciate Spike Lee films, but so really enjoyed this. Between this and WSS, I found myself rethinking race relations in the U.S. I’m been more just uncomfortable by some of these far-right people, but now I’d disgusted by them. 

Lastly, I watched 1931 Dracula. The acting and cinematography were pretty primitive, but it kept me engaged throughout the whole movie.

Next up is Nightmare Alley. 

I watched Nightmare Alley. I liked it, but it definitely had some pacing issues. I found the ending to be predictable. I haven’t seen the original, but I think I like what I read of the plot better than this.

I watched Doctor Sleep the other day. It was okay, but I definitely like the book better. Then again, they were trying to work with the book and The Shining film. As much as I like the original film, I do think the ending missed out on King’s intended message.

I also watched The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It. I feel like these films just keep getting worse and worse. I think the Annabelle Creation spin off was the last good one. 

• Like 1