IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

17 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

3.  Fan review bombs are not to be trusted because they're often overly-emotionally attached to things from their youth 😛

...or they're just blindly raging at things for ridiculous reasons.  Like Captain Marvel.

I'm going to go with 3 (although 71 still feels a bit high)

Screenshot_20221205-172715-259.png

Edited by Aguy

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Two things -

1)Disney will take anything once beloved and crush it to oblivion to juice out any dime they can get from your childhood.

2)So-called "critics" are about as useful and intelligent as a blind bull in a china shop.

Screenshot-from-2022-12-05-19-39-26.png

These are like physical laws of nature.  I've also noticed that extremely low critic ratings often = something especially interesting.

Still would like to see the original Willow as I enjoyed the NES game quite a bit...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Best Part:  "This Has Been A Transcribed Program" 😄  Surprised I've never heard of this before.

Edit: Pow Wow looks really familiar, so I must have seen it at some point.  That possum had me laughin' pretty good.

Edited by PII

58 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

3.  Fan review bombs are not to be trusted because they're often overly-emotionally attached to things from their youth 😛

...or they're just blindly raging at things for ridiculous reasons.  Like Captain Marvel.

Willow, and Rings of Power, are just shite. I tried them, and it left a shite taste in my mouth. Not because of review bombing, but because it's shite. Of course to be fair, review bombing is a real thing, and I know it happens. But I feel it's disingenuous to say "oh, clearly that poor score is just review bombing" - NOPE. As an example, The Witcher has a 75% audience score on RT, and I feel that's very appropriate. It's not shitacular, such as Rings of Power, but it has some shortcomings AND I feel the fans are very appropriate with their criticism and praise.

17 minutes ago, PII said:

These are like physical laws of nature.  I've also noticed that extremely low critic ratings often = something especially interesting.

Still would like to see the original Willow as I enjoyed the NES game quite a bit...

It's worth watching. That said, yeah the NES game is really great... well, maybe it's nostalgia but I remember loving it 🙂

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Willow, and Rings of Power, are just shite. I tried them, and it left a shite taste in my mouth. Not because of review bombing, but because it's shite. Of course to be fair, review bombing is a real thing, and I know it happens. But I feel it's disingenuous to say "oh, clearly that poor score is just review bombing" - NOPE. As an example, The Witcher has a 75% audience score on RT, and I feel that's very appropriate. It's not shitacular, such as Rings of Power, but it has some shortcomings AND I feel the fans are very appropriate with their criticism and praise.

Well, I just took a very quick look at the user reviews for Willow, and the very first three mention "woke", "identity politics" and "diversity."  The calling cards of the review bomb.

Screenshot_20221205-193756.png

Editorials Team · Posted

...that being said, I haven't seen the show, I don't know when I'll watch the show, I like the original but don't place it on a pedestal or anything, so I doubt I would find this series to be anything close to amazing.

But there seems to be a very clear trend in nerd culture in the last 10 years to vilify things, and I always find it comically overblown.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...that being said, I haven't seen the show, I don't know when I'll watch the show, I like the original but don't place it on a pedestal or anything.  But there seems to be a very clear trend in nerd culture in the last 10 years to vilify things, and I always find it comically overblown.

Well it cant be denied that all kinds of woke bs is crammed into certain movies and series. Peple are not vilifying Ghostbusters 2016, its just a trash movie, and thats ok to say. No Time to Die was good, but would have been better without the woke bs they just had to put in, didnt that nutjob try calling bond a rapist. I dont think these overpaid idiots deserve to be defended, when they are in fact trying to ruin franchises peple love. Whats cmical is they think that just because its a popular franchise the fans will loove anything with the name on it. When you change everything its no longer what people loved and the reviews from fans will reflect that. Its not the nerds fault giant corprations use their franchises to push an insane agenta etc

Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, 360collector said:

Well it cant be denied that all kinds of woke bs is crammed into certain movies and series. Peple are not vilifying Ghostbusters 2016, its just a trash movie, and thats ok to say. No Time to Die was good, but would have been better without the woke bs they just had to put in, didnt that nutjob try calling bond a rapist. I dont think these overpaid idiots deserve to be defended, when they are in fact trying to ruin franchises peple love. Whats cmical is they think that just because its a popular franchise the fans will loove anything with the name on it. When you change everything its no longer what people loved and the reviews from fans will reflect that. Its not the nerds fault giant corprations use their franchises to push an insane agenta etc

Ghostbusters 2016 was fine and pretty much all aggregate reviews/scores agree. Nothing great, but definitely not trash. 

1 hour ago, PII said:

Best Part:  "This Has Been A Transcribed Program" 😄  Surprised I've never heard of this before.

Edit: Pow Wow looks really familiar, so I must have seen it at some point.  That possum had me laughin' pretty good.

They are both pretty old - old enough that I just remember bits and pieces which I had to have seen in syndication in the mid to late fifites.  The theme song to Pow Wow is very memorable though.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, 360collector said:

Its not the nerds fault giant corprations use their franchises to push an insane agenta etc

I'm going to put this out there that it's not insane to have representation of all kinds of people in media.  ESPECIALY fiction like fantasy.  I'm not sure what's so insane to have our fiction to reflect what our world is.  Now granted I'm sure some people live in worlds surrounded by lack of diversity.  Some of it may very well be suppressed when it's possible like going along with a gender role you don't identify with or what your true sexual preferences are.  In which case I can totally see why you think diversity is being crammed down your throat.  But if you live in a decent sized city in America then diversity is around you.  Some cities more than others.  And since the majority of people in America live in cities it shouldn't be so surprising that diversity becoming more common.  Hell, even in rural areas you'll find LGBT people because that is just a random thing that happens and unlike what race a person will be.   

Living the majority of my life in a ~50/50 (white/non-white) community I don't think about how many non-white actors are in a show like The Expanse.  I will say that sexual orientation does stand out whenever I see it because I'm not nearly as exposed to it like I am with race.  I have few friends who are LGB but it just doesn't standout like someone's race.  Not like when I see them they constantly express their sexuality in my face 😅  I'm sure one day I won't pay it any attention because I've seen so many shows/movies that have LGB character.  I mean I'm started to get there with video games with the main character being female.  And I think that is a good thing.  But I also think diversity is a good thing so I am biased with that aspect.  In fact I actively seek it out because it makes me feel comfortable.  The first week of college I had this weird feeling being around a crowds of people.  I took a while before I realize it was because I've never been surrounded by so many white people with no POC.  I remember my high school saying this would likely happen.  Funny thing is they said that to the POC students and not white students who grew up in POC neighborhoods.  Ohio is majority white so go figure Ohio State University is also majority white.  

Long story short, if you think diversity is "crammed" in media then ask yourself if you are in a homogeneous bubble.  Maybe that's why you think it's "over representation".   And that's not a dig on you.  Diversity isn't usually a choice you have control over.  If you live in a city in America you'll have a hard time avoiding it.  If you live in a rural mid-west farming community you'll be hard pressed to find diversity.  

8 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm going to put this out there that it's not insane to have representation of all kinds of people in media.  ESPECIALY fiction like fantasy.  I'm not sure what's so insane to have our fiction to reflect what our world is.  Now granted I'm sure some people live in worlds surrounded by lack of diversity.  Some of it may very well be suppressed when it's possible like going along with a gender role you don't identify with or what your true sexual preferences are.  In which case I can totally see why you think diversity is being crammed down your throat.  But if you live in a decent sized city in America then diversity is around you.  Some cities more than others.  And since the majority of people in America live in cities it shouldn't be so surprising that diversity becoming more common.  Hell, even in rural areas you'll find LGBT people because that is just a random thing that happens and unlike what race a person will be.   

Living the majority of my life in a ~50/50 (white/non-white) community I don't think about how many non-white actors are in a show like The Expanse.  I will say that sexual orientation does stand out whenever I see it because I'm not nearly as exposed to it like I am with race.  I have few friends who are LGB but it just doesn't standout like someone's race.  Not like when I see them they constantly express their sexuality in my face 😅  I'm sure one day I won't pay it any attention because I've seen so many shows/movies that have LGB character.  I mean I'm started to get there with video games with the main character being female.  And I think that is a good thing.  But I also think diversity is a good thing so I am biased with that aspect.  In fact I actively seek it out because it makes me feel comfortable.  The first week of college I had this weird feeling being around a crowds of people.  I took a while before I realize it was because I've never been surrounded by so many white people with no POC.  I remember my high school saying this would likely happen.  Funny thing is they said that to the POC students and not white students who grew up in POC neighborhoods.  Ohio is majority white so go figure Ohio State University is also majority white.  

Long story short, if you think diversity is "crammed" in media then ask yourself if you are in a homogeneous bubble.  Maybe that's why you think it's "over representation".   And that's not a dig on you.  Diversity isn't usually a choice you have control over.  If you live in a city in America you'll have a hard time avoiding it.  If you live in a rural mid-west farming community you'll be hard pressed to find diversity.  

I agree with most of what you say and i dont think ppl care what race/sexuality characters are. Peple dont whine about the existence  of Batwoman. The problem is changing already established characters, like making 007 a female. Nobdy cares if an agent in some action movie is female. But 007 is an established character for 80(?) years, its obviously just to push an agenda and ppl will call that out. Just make some new characters and if they are well written they will succeed

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, 360collector said:

I agree with most of what you say and i dont think ppl care what race/sexuality characters are. Peple dont whine about the existence  of Batwoman. The problem is changing already established characters, like making 007 a female. Nobdy cares if an agent in some action movie is female. But 007 is an established character for 80(?) years, its obviously just to push an agenda and ppl will call that out. Just make some new characters and if they are well written they will succeed

Nomi is a new character who shares the same jersey number temporary.  James Bond is still present and the same character.

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, 360collector said:

Change can be nice.  We have a million male Bond films.  Stretch those wings.

Social Team · Posted
12 hours ago, 360collector said:

So do you have any issues with a Black Santa?  I don't think there anything really wrong with an old fictional character getting remade to represent what has changed with society.  Also 007 is just a placeholder for the seventh agent.  I don't see why it breaks the whole character to be female.  Female spies are a real thing so why not a female 00 agent existing?

18 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

So do you have any issues with a Black Santa?  I don't think there anything really wrong with an old fictional character getting remade to represent what has changed with society.  Also 007 is just a placeholder for the seventh agent.  I don't see why it breaks the whole character to be female.  Female spies are a real thing so why not a female 00 agent existing?

I hope no one has a problem with a black Santa, or a Santa of an race etc! Now that you mention it, I had to look up the history, quite an interesting read

The secret history of black Santas

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38231159

Santa Clause itself is really nothing more than a marketing gimmick anyway - created by American artist Thomas Nast and made famous by Coca-Cola.

All that said, I do agree with @360collector that when shows/movies or even video games try to change an established character, when they quickly toss aside years of canon, and when they do it for what appears to be ideological reasons (regardless of whether that's true) fans can rightly be upset. With Rings of Power they turned Galadriel into a selfish, petty, boring, but unstoppable force that seems to have no regard for her comrades or anything! In other words, she is NOTHING like how Tolkien envisioned her. That, along with some of the worst writing I can recall in a modern TV show, overall boring characters, cliches left and right, THAT is the reason Rings of Power is a failure. For the record, while I thought Jackson's original Lord of the Rings trilogy a masterpiece, The Hobbit in comparison is terrible for similar reasons.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Change can be nice.  We have a million male Bond films.  Stretch those wings.

Or, create a new character that fits the representation you want to see???  How hard is that?  This is the problem people (including myself) are having with all this so-called "woke" casting and "representation."  Why not just create new stories and new characters instead of trying to mould existing ones into something they are not in order to fit into your current world view?  Why do already existing characters have to be changed into something they are not?  Just create new woke stories and woke characters and leave the old stuff alone and then everyone is happy!!!

21 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm not sure what's so insane to have our fiction to reflect what our world is.

That's not fiction, bud!  That's the whole problem: every story now has to fit a stereotypical New York population... why?  Why can't fiction be fiction?  Why do you feel like fiction must reflect what our world is?  Fiction should be the opposite: made up fantasy of what our world isn't.  It sounds like what you want is non-fiction.

Think about this: so it's totally okay to put a bunch of black, Asian and other races in Rings of Power, even though it's based on medieval English/Northern European folklore or whatever; well what if an African author created a medieval fictional world set long ago in Africa and then it became a best seller, and then they made a TV series and had a bunch of white, Asian, etc people representing the medieval Africans in the story?  That would be pretty jarring - pretty glaring - it would take most people right out of the story every time one of those actors walked on the screen.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  Are you beginning to understand why so many people are complaining?  Why do all movies and TV shows made for the rest of eternity have to reflect the racial make-up of a New York City street???

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Anybody who complains about major corporations “going woke” obviously has no idea how the free market works.

Large corporations do things TO MAKE MONEY not to satisfy some magical “left wing” bogeyman thats used to sell shitty pillows.

If enough people think its a bad idea, they vote with their wallets and the ceo gets hammered by shareholders and changes are made.

Free market pressure= changes made for maximum profit. Anything else is just a conspiracy theory you fell for lol 

• Agree 1