IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, Californication said:

Nightmare Alley is good, I think Licorice Pizza may have been the best movie last year though. No Oscars for Licorice Pizza is a joke. The biggest weakness in both movies is Bradley Cooper's mediocrity - he's not terrible, but for having two excellent parts he just does okay.

Well we can't have PTA winning anything, now can we?

I just watched this and was pretty impressed:

Kind of a sedate/backwards approach to the Butterfly Effect mixed with who knows what.   Seemingly starts out at sea but if you stick it out it will engage you - you do have to pay attention along the way  though.

Edited by Tabonga

On 4/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Californication said:

Nightmare Alley is good, I think Licorice Pizza may have been the best movie last year though. No Oscars for Licorice Pizza is a joke. The biggest weakness in both movies is Bradley Cooper's mediocrity - he's not terrible, but for having two excellent parts he just does okay.

Overall I was actually pretty happy with the way awards were handed out this year. As I said up above, leaving Villeneuve out was a huge mistake, but otherwise they made some decent picks. I would have been personally offended if Dunst won best Actress though. Bleck.

I'll definitely check out Licorice Pizza. I'm not a huge P. T. Anderson fan, but There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece.

Edited by DoctorEncore

46 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'll definitely check out Licorice Pizza. I'm not a huge P. T. Anderson fan, but There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece.

There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece.

It's based upon Sinclair's novel "Oil!" which I highly recommend reading 🙂

On 4/3/2022 at 5:31 PM, avatar! said:

There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece.

It's based upon Sinclair's novel "Oil!" which I highly recommend reading 🙂

I hated, and I can’t emphasize enough how much I hated There Will Be Blood. It was well done, but I despise entertainment where I find that the main characters lack redeeming qualities. Yes, that happens in life, but I don’t like to spend my time with fiction like that.

I watched Death on the Nile this weekend. The movie was bad. The supporting cast was underused, Gal Gadot and Armie Hammer were terribly cast, and the CGI was horrible.

Edited by ICrappedMyPants

On 4/4/2022 at 7:31 PM, Tabonga said:

I just started this - I am only about 10 minutes in but so far I am liking it:

Looks fun! I take it you're a big horror fan? I do really like horror movies, but don't watch them much since most are just boring 🙂

Last two "horror" films I truly enjoyed were The Lighthouse and The Witch.

@avatar!- Depends on what type of horror it is - I really like those that are dark humor at heart.   Like any other genre you have to sort through a lot of crap to find a few gems.   The "It Stains the Sands Red" was somewhat disappointing after a strong start - it was a good idea that just couldn't sustain itself - plus the movie couldn't really decide what it wanted to be.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

My wife and I took our kids to see Sonic 2 at the theaters on Saturday.  It was the first time I had been in a theater since Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.  The movie was ok and pretty much exactly what I expected.  There were several fan service nods to the video game that I enjoyed but obviously went over my wife and kid's heads.  My kids absolutely LOVED it, and that was all that really mattered, so they had a good time.

Funny story, my local movie theater doesn't put the movie titles on the signs outside of the theaters anymore, so there is no way to know which theater is yours.  As we were walking around an employee told us Sonic 2 was in the theater she had just cleaned, so we went in and sat down.  The movie started about 10 minutes late, which seem odd, but not big deal.  Then I noticed that the previews were a bit mature for a Sonic movie and I started to get worried.  Sure enough the movie starts and the first thing we see is Tom Holland's face as he is dropping in the sky (Uncharted).  I leaned over and told my wife, this is not our movie.  We walked out and told a manager, but we missed the start of our movie by about 20 minutes.  She was very nice and gave us free tickets to the next showing which, luckily was only 30 minutes later.  The manager also gave us 4 more free tickets to use any time in the future.  So it worked out in the end.  I asked her why they don't put the movie names on the electronic signs anymore and she said she had no idea and it causes lots of problems.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by TDIRunner

On 4/10/2022 at 11:24 PM, TDIRunner said:

My wife and I took our kids to see Sonic 2 at the theaters on Saturday.  It was the first time I had been in a theater since Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.  The movie was ok and pretty much exactly what I expected.  There were several fan service nods to the video game that I enjoyed but obviously went over my wife and kid's heads.  My kids absolutely LOVED it, and that was all that really mattered, so they had a good time.

Funny story, my local movie theater doesn't put the movie titles on the signs outside of the theaters anymore, so there is no way to know which theater is yours.  As we were walking around an employee told us Sonic 2 was in the theater she had just cleaned, so we went in and sat down.  The movie started about 10 minutes late, which seem odd, but not big deal.  Then I noticed that the previews were a bit mature for a Sonic movie and I started to get worried.  Sure enough the movie starts and the first thing we see is Tom Holland's face as he is dropping in the sky (Uncharted).  I leaned over and told my wife, this is not our movie.  We walked out and told a manager, but we missed the start of our movie by about 20 minutes.  She was very nice and gave us free tickets to the next showing which, luckily was only 30 minutes later.  The manager also gave us 4 more free tickets to use any time in the future.  So it worked out in the end.  I asked her why they don't put the movie names on the electronic signs anymore and she said she had no idea and it causes lots of problems.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The original Sonic movie is probably one of my favorite videogame adaptations and turned my son into a die-hard Sonic fan. He doesn't care about the games at all, but loves the movie and tv shows. Hopefully we'll get to the theater to see the new one in the next couple weeks.

I watched Mortal Engines the other day and man was that a huge disappointment. There was enough interesting visual stuff and world building to hold my attention for the first thirty minutes, but the story stumbles over itself and goes nowhere. There are a bunch of competing plot lines which have little-to-no impact on main narrative which is unbelievably mediocre on its own. I think there is an interesting story somewhere to be told with the Shrike character, but what's here is a jumbled mess that definitively makes the movie worse. It feels like this could've been a decent trilogy or limited series, but it absolutely fails as a single, event-type movie.

By the way, what happened to Peter Jackson? LotR is a crowning achievement in cinema and I think King Kong is an underrated masterpiece, but it's been all downhill since then (he didn't direct Mortal Engines but he was heavily involved in its creation). I wish he'd go back to low-budget weird like Dead Alive (AKA Braindead) or mid-budget goofy like The Frighteners.

As for TV, we just started The Mare of Easttown on HBO. The show is extremely gritty, dark, and realistic. The characters feel very human and there is a constant feeling of sadness and failure that hangs over every interaction. My first impression is that it might be leaning a bit too hard into the dreary aspects of these characters lives, but the central mystery is intriguing. The show definitely has a slow start and feels like it will be a slow burn.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I watched BttF last night.  It's weird, I've seen BttF II and III start to finish many times, but BttF is one of those films I always come in on around when Marty and Doc are testing the DeLorean for the first time.  Watching it from the beginning, I think this is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've actually seen the beginning where Marty blows out the speakers at Doc's place.

It's such a classic film and is always a good one to watch.  Next, I think I want to watch Romancing the Stone just because it was an earlier film by Zemeckis.  I really don't know anything about it though.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RH said:

It's such a classic film and is always a good one to watch.  Next, I think I want to watch Romancing the Stone just because it was an earlier film by Zemeckis.  I really don't know anything about it though.

Romancing the Stone and the sequel The Jewel of the Nile are good films on their own - IMHO they would suffer in comparison to the BttF films.  The BttF films are a lot more intricate and the humor a bit deeper.  Doesn't mean Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile are bad films - kinda like comparing  a banana split and an ice cream cone.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RH said:

I watched BttF last night.  It's weird, I've seen BttF II and III start to finish many times, but BttF is one of those films I always come in on around when Marty and Doc are testing the DeLorean for the first time.  Watching it from the beginning, I think this is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've actually seen the beginning where Marty blows out the speakers at Doc's place.

The BTTF trilogy is still one of my all time favorites.  I'm looking forward to watching all three with my kids sometime.  I'm hoping they enjoy it because I wish I could experience that movie for the first time again, and watching my kids do it is the closest to that feeling that I can probably get.  

I haven't watched Romancing the Stone is probably 20 years, but I loved it when I saw it as a kid with my parents.  Good movie.  I should watch it again sometime.  My family used to quote the "De Joan Wilder" line all the time as a joke.

• Like 1

Just now, Tabonga said:

Romancing the Stone and the sequel The Jewel of the Nile are good films on their own - IMHO they would suffer in comparison to the BttF films.  The BttF films are a lot more intricate and the humor a bit deeper.  Doesn't mean Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile are bad films - kinda like comparing  a banana split and an ice cream cone.

I'm about half way in.  I'd say that's a good comparison.  It's a bit slow, but this was also made in the early-80s.  I kind of like that everything wasn't so  fast paced back then.  Not a bad film so far.