IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

On 12/25/2022 at 6:36 PM, Kguillemette said:

Keeping with all the fantasy/horror I've been watching lately, I started watching Castlevania on Netflix. It's really good so far.

I love horror films. Most are fairly dull, but I thought this was a very fun and enjoyable movie

Severance is really good.

There's this technology that partitions your brain so that you basically become 2 separate people, with no consciousness while the other one is awake. The characters toggle between these two modes as they enter and leave this mysterious and cult-like company where they work on retro style computers doing weird stuff with numbers. (it's set in this very stark, Kubrik-esque underground office.) 

• 3 weeks later...
Moderator · Posted

Watched Aftersun today. Best film I’ve seen in years. Perfectly shot, hauntingly beautiful. As a first time expectant father of a daughter in the next week or so, it hit me hard as I grapple with insecurities of the father that I will be. Probably the best look at grief, depression and memories I’ve seen. I hope it wins best picture, and the lead Actor deserves every award this season. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:50 AM, wongojack said:

Last night I watched the Blu Ray special edition of Alien 3.  I don't think i have ever enjoyed a director's cut or fan edit or new version of a movie more.  They totally redeemed it!  Info:  Alien 3 Special Edition | Xenopedia | Fandom

Personally, l don't think the director's cut makes it a good movie, but it's a hell of a lot better than the theatrical version. I love the Alien franchise, but the quality is just all over the place. I really wish they hadn't wasted the promise of Prometheus with the dumpster fire that was Covenant. I knew that movie was going to be bad within the first 5 minutes and it absolutely met my expectations.

On 12/25/2022 at 6:36 PM, Kguillemette said:

Keeping with all the fantasy/horror I've been watching lately, I started watching Castlevania on Netflix. It's really good so far.

It's so good! I like the way they used familiar characters and situations without being bound to any specific story from the games. Not that there is a huge amount of lore to work with, but it definitely captures the essence of the games.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:50 PM, G-type said:

Severance is really good.

There's this technology that partitions your brain so that you basically become 2 separate people, with no consciousness while the other one is awake. The characters toggle between these two modes as they enter and leave this mysterious and cult-like company where they work on retro style computers doing weird stuff with numbers. (it's set in this very stark, Kubrik-esque underground office.) 

I liked the concept more than the execution. It seems like the type of show where the creators came up with a really good idea, but have no clue what to do with it (Lost, Westworld, Heroes, etc). You can only hide behind the "mystery" of the world for so long before you actually have to say something meaningful. For me, I thought it was kind of a steady downward trend in quality throughout the season. I'll definitely watch season 2, but I'm not confident it will be particularly good. Hopefully I'll be surprised.

My wife and I have been watching season two of Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. The first season was a breath of fresh air and season two is just as good. In particular, I think the dynamic between Steve Martin and Martin Short is fantastic. The mystery is fun, the presentation is top notch, and the supporting characters add some great flavor to the world (the apartment building itself has more personality than most sitcom characters). The only letdown is Selena Gomez who comes off as out of place and awkward. Her unusual voice and strange speaking cadence are odd enough to make me wonder if her Lupus diagnosis has affected her even more than she lets on. Still, I highly recommended it if you like a enjoy a good mystery wrapped up in a modern sitcom.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Watched -

It was good, but this version is the best -

The original classic was made 12 years after the end of WWI and they had many people who were veterans of the war participating in the production. I feel it's as "realistic" as we're going to get. I suppose you could say the Netflix version is "grittier" but having read the book I think the original is more accurate to the spirit of the book. As I said, the Netflix version is good, but the 1930 version remains the authoritative version.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

11 Oscar nominations.  The Academy knows what's up.

Short Round/Data is now an Oscar nominee boys.  Hope he wins 

Need to watch that soon. Watched The Banshee’s of Inisherin tonight. It was decent, very well acted and beautifully shot with a slow, but interesting plot. Definitely a 1 and done watch for me, unlike the last collab with these players, In Bruges which is very rewatchable. 

Editorials Team · Posted

LicoricePizzaPoster.jpeg

So, I'm obviously a big PTA guy.  That should be clear enough.  But I haven't gotten around to watching his previous 2 movies.  Phantom Thread because I can't imagine a less interesting subject, and Inherent Vice because it's gotten the closest thing to middling reviews in his entire filmography.

But I had to watch this because everyone loved it.  And it was good.  But the amazing thing is that it made me nostalgic for the early 1970s in the Valley.  Which is incredible because I was not alive in in the 70s, and I've never been to the Valley.  But PTA is just so good at capturing the feel of a time and place, that he pulled it off regardless. Bravo.

Moderator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

LicoricePizzaPoster.jpeg

So, I'm obviously a big PTA guy.  That should be clear enough.  But I haven't gotten around to watching his previous 2 movies.  Phantom Thread because I can't imagine a less interesting subject, and Inherent Vice because it's gotten the closest thing to middling reviews in his entire filmography.

But I had to watch this because everyone loved it.  And it was good.  But the amazing thing is that it made me nostalgic for the early 1970s in the Valley.  Which is incredible because I was not alive in in the 70s, and I've never been to the Valley.  But PTA is just so good at capturing the feel of a time and place, that he pulled it off regardless. Bravo.

Same, big PTA guy and really liked this one. Phantom Thread was well made, but not a fun watch. Haven’t seen Inherent Vice either. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/24/2023 at 8:09 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

11 Oscar nominations.  The Academy knows what's up.

Short Round/Data is now an Oscar nominee boys.  Hope he wins 

And it wins best picture.  The Academy working overtime to be hip and relevant.  I approve.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And it wins best picture.  The Academy working overtime to be hip and relevant.  I approve.

I’m fine with it winning, was a really fun film. Will it hold up after 20 years…don’t know. Love that Short Round won, he was great. Didn’t think Jamie Lee deserved it, her costar was much better. Really bummed that Paul Mescal didn’t win best actor, his performance was by far the best of the year. 

Editorials Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I’m fine with it winning, was a really fun film. Will it hold up after 20 years…don’t know. Love that Short Round won, he was great. Didn’t think Jamie Lee deserved it, her costar was much better. Really bummed that Paul Mescal didn’t win best actor, his performance was by far the best of the year. 

Hard to say.  I mean, what percent of films in 20 years' hindsight are?  I certainly think it has better odds than English Patient, or Crash, or Kings Speech or many other period pieces and/or weepy melodramas.

But I also recognize that I'm more of a "genre" film sorta guy, so I'm obviously biased in a certain way 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, fox said:

Oh hey I actually watched that film before it won, when was the last time that happened 

I think the better question would be, "When was the last time a non-artsy movie actually won?"  I just went back through the list, and while there were several winners that I watched before they got nominated and ejoyed, the last real, mostly mass-appeal movie that won Best Picture was Return of the King, 19 years ago.  I seem to recall a lot of people muttering about exactly this the year that Black Panther lost, and regular people finally started realizing exactly how out of touch the Oscars were with what "everyone" thought of movies.