IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Editorials Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm currently rewatching The Sandlot.  I don't think I've seen this film in at least 20 years.  Truly a classic. @Reed Rothchild that's a good one to rate.  If someone can't rate this one at least an 8 then there's something wrong with you.

Coincidentally, it's one of a handful I was considering doing soonish.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Sweet Home. I knew of the Famicom game that was the precursor to Resident Evil but didn't realise it was actually a game based on the movie. I really enjoyed it, great effects and story.

I think they could have probably cut about 5 mins to bring the run time closer to 1 hour 30mins but such a minor thing. Highly recommend it to any Japanese Horror fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got through the first season of Sailor Moon in Japanese and it is crazy how good this show is.

I watched a few episodes of the terrible English dub growing up and found it to be annoying and boring. I was looking for something that wouldn't be too difficult to watch in Japanese and figured Sailor Moon would be easy enough.

I went in with low expectations and discovered that the English version of Sailor Moon is almost like a completely different anime! It's actually ridiculous how edited Sailor Moon is in English, to the point that it's almost like another show at times.

I highly recommend people watch the Japanese version, there should be some decent subs for it out there.

I also started watching the final season of Barry. I'll be sad to see this one end and it's already off to a great start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Wifey and I are going to start this soon 🙂

I’m three episodes in and it’s ok. But I went in with rock bottom expectations haha.

It’s obviously an advertising piece for Goldin Auctions because Payton Manning is an executive producer and he has invested in Goldin (which they bring up in episode 2). 

Once you look past the dude bros high testosterone attitudes it isn’t too bad. There have been some interesting collections like some dude has every Apple computer ever made. 

I like the info you learn about collectibles as a whole and how it really has become a playground for the rich or those looking to strike it lucky. Especially with trading cards.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 1:46 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

AlexGarlandMenPoster.jpg

Well that was fucking weird!

I do enjoy a good horror film, but most horror films I watch are just, well, boring.

I liked the trailer for this, but the consensus seems to be that no one really knows what happened. That's also something I can't stand about many of today's "horror films" - they try to be so artistic and then just say "well, it's up to the viewer to decide" - lame answer! I'll pass.

Appreciate the head-up for Smile, might watch that this weekend, when wifey is asleep - horror is not her cup 'o tea 🙂

21 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Another classic, destroyed... check out that audience score 👾

Screenshot-from-2023-05-12-17-05-29.png

No surprise there. Expecting similar when the little mermaid releases.

Instead of rehashing classic stories the diversity edition they should put more effort into actually making new things. I couldn’t live with myself if I greenlit all this rehashed rubbish.

Editorials Team · Posted

I spent 5 minutes looking into it, and the gist of the controversy is that people are pissed because it's a diverse cast and some of the Lost Boys are girls?

If that's the case (feel free to correct me otherwise), then I have to say I'm really getting sick of this anti-woke crybaby act.  Tinkerbell is Black?  Oh my God, cry me a river.

I'm not saying I want these remakes either (the only one I've seen is Aladdin and it was basically identical), but these rightwing corners of the internet are really tiring. 

As far as being yet another rehash, yeah, I doubt I watch some dumb Peter Pan thing.  But I really question some of the motivations at play here.   Not you guys, but online in general.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I spent 5 minutes looking into it, and the gist of the controversy is that people are pissed because it's a diverse cast and some of the Lost Boys are girls?

If that's the case (feel free to correct me otherwise), then I have to say I'm really getting sick of this anti-woke crybaby act.  Tinkerbell is Black?  Oh my God, cry me a river.

I'm not saying I want these remakes either (the only one I've seen is Aladdin and it was basically identical), but these rightwing corners of the internet are really tiring. 

As far as being yet another rehash, yeah, I doubt I watch some dumb Peter Pan thing.  But I really question some of the motivations at play here.   Not you guys, but online in general.

Perhaps you misread that percentage up there???  That's a 1 and a 3... 13%!!!  Can you imagine how bad a movie has to be for 87% of the audiences on Rotten Tomatoes to dislike it?  Or perhaps you feel that "the rightwing corners of the internet" have coalesced together and targeted movie review sites in some sort of misguided attempt at taking down the new Peter Pan movie?!?  I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and your logic will of course account for some part of that percentage, but damn, man, this isn't like 45% or something just kinda bad; this is 13%.  How much lower would it have to be for you to concede that the movie is probably pretty bad?

Editorials Team · Posted
44 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Perhaps you misread that percentage up there???  That's a 1 and a 3... 13%!!!  Can you imagine how bad a movie has to be for 87% of the audiences on Rotten Tomatoes to dislike it?  Or perhaps you feel that "the rightwing corners of the internet" have coalesced together and targeted movie review sites in some sort of misguided attempt at taking down the new Peter Pan movie?!?  I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and your logic will of course account for some part of that percentage, but damn, man, this isn't like 45% or something just kinda bad; this is 13%.  How much lower would it have to be for you to concede that the movie is probably pretty bad?

Oh I'm sure it's mediocre at best.  But yes, review bombs from the "anti-woke" mob are very, very much a thing nowadays.  That's not even fucking debatable dude.  See anything with Captain Marvel, The Last of Us Part II, and, evidently, this Peter Pan movie I've never heard of.  With Little Mermaid on deck.

And this split is nothing:

Screenshot_20230512-191826.png

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Another classic, destroyed... check out that audience score 👾

Screenshot-from-2023-05-12-17-05-29.png

I never listen to audience scores, but do listen to those who have actually watched the movie. For example, I got to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D. It was in Osaka, on New Years day, and I was in the area because I wanted to visit the Pokémon Store that was in that area.

Then I saw it in 2D at a second theater just to see how it looked that way. And finally in 4D because that was the last option I could find. With me giving the top score to the 3D version, while the 2D version felt fine... With the 4D just being too much for me. (Then again, I also walked through Osaka's worst neighborhood to get to that theater.)

All of it was fine and those who came to see the film were fans. With none of them looking stupid, or whatever. Which had me return to the states just to deal with the low emotional IQ (or emotional intelligence, or even EQ) just continue the same level of hate that had me feel sorry for the actual fanbase.

And with Peter Pan & Wendy? That is pretty much the case. If change, diversity, and everything else that has been a trend since the pre-Biblical era is an issue... Those who make it an issue are free to just ignore it. Which is something they will not do thanks to that low EQ scenario.

Then again... Stuff like this is why I claim Clerks II is my favorite movie. Even if I have not seen it in years! 🙃

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh I'm sure it's mediocre at best.  But yes, review bombs from the "anti-woke" mob are very, very much a thing nowadays.  That's not even fucking debatable dude.  See anything with Captain Marvel, The Last of Us Part II, and, evidently, this Peter Pan movie I've never heard of.  With Little Mermaid on deck.

And this split is nothing:

Screenshot_20230512-191826.png

I don't really think that supports your argument, as you're comparing a handful of critical reviews to 5000+ unpaid user reviews - is that really fair or relevant?  You do understand that if a career critic were to absolutely bomb the media he reviews he'd be out of a job pretty quickly?  I know that review-bombing is definitely a thing, but at least find an example that compares apples to apples...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't really think that supports your argument, as you're comparing a handful of critical reviews to 5000+ unpaid user reviews - is that really fair or relevant?  You do understand that if a career critic were to absolutely bomb the media he reviews he'd be out of a job pretty quickly?  I know that review-bombing is definitely a thing, but at least find an example that compares apples to apples...

What?  What critics are you talking about?  I'm saying both are examples of user review bombs.   People absolutely can drive an RT meter down to 13% if the movie itself is mediocre to begin with.  Look at what they managed to do with The Last of Us Part II.

edit: Wait, you're saying the critic scores are the manipulated number here?  Yeah, no.  The user score was politically motivated.  That shit is well documented.