IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - 2021 suggestions thread

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ahoy hoy, my beloved friends. Long time no see! Life got WAY busier than it should be in the last two weeks here.

As Guil and I start to plan the upcoming 2021 season of the beloved Weekly Contest, we deemed it wise to ask you all, the players, for suggestions of NES and Famicom games you believe to be worthy of being playing during our 2021 season!

So spill the guts. Let us know what games you would love to see this year and we will thoroughly consider them!

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted

Mmmmm. I'll just list some NES games I like to play. They may or may not be ideal for a contest, but no hurt feelings if not. 🙂

• Adventure Island II
  • Adventures of Dino Riki
  • Double Dragon
  • Trog
  • Castlevania
  • Gremlins 2
  • Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
  • Rainbow Islands
  • Super Sprint
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Btw, I can personally assure you all that Antarctic Adventure will be part of the Sports line this year, so go ahead, secure it and learn to love it.

It is a delightful game that is entirely too enjoyable and very challenging to secure high scores on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ausden said:

I second Gremlins 2. Maybe even a point and click game like Shadowgate with a winner decided by progress?

I would also like to suggest more famicom games this season. Which, I don't know, that's why I want to have the included to see what's out there!

Not sure about point and click adventures. There would have to be an honor rule against using guides. But even then, those who already know the game will have too much advantage since there's no skill involved when you know what to do.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Rad Racer. That was last played in the 2017 tournament. It's a sports game that I actually like.

Im going to put together a list of suggestions this weekend when I can sit down at a laptop, but my list will include rad racer 2 and a bunch of other racing games including the Pro Am games. 

I will throw out my more broad suggestion now which I expect to be met with disdain and outrage. There are so many great sports games for NES and also many great racers. Id like to see the categories separated. If thats too much, maybe make racing some sort of sub category with 3 games instead of 5. That way we would still get 5 sports games and still get to race some at least. We include non traditional competition games, like caveman games last year, in the sports category. Between those, traditional sports, and racers, the sports category includes a really large portion of the library (and for me personally, many many favorites). 5 games is too few. 

• Like 1

I recently played Low G Man and I think it would work well.  It has a nice risk/reward system where you can freeze enemies to make them easier to deal with, but they are unlikely to drop items.  If you beat them while they're not frozen, they're guaranteed to drop items.  You can keep getting 1-ups though, so I think a one life limit would be needed.  

Silk Worm is another one I've recently played.  It's a decent shooter that gets pretty difficult toward the end.  There's a limited number of lives and no point pressing opportunities that I noticed, so no special rules would be needed.  There is an option to play as a jeep instead, which would make things a bit more interesting.

I haven't played it in a long time, but Back to the Future might work.

I've mentioned these before, but Ghostbusters II would work as long as there's a rule in place that you can't keep playing the driving stage over and over and MULE would be interesting change of pace.

I've Suggested Xexyz and Tiny Toon Adventures in the past too.  They're not fresh in my memory, so they may have scoring problems that aren't coming to me right now.  For Xexyz, I'd suggest using the password that lets you just play the shooting stages.

As for Famicom games, Atlantis no Nazo could work.  Maybe Route 16 Turbo too.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to VGS NES Weekly Contest - 2021 suggestions thread

I've been meaning to get into Dr. Mario, so that would be a fun one.

I played Battle Tank for the completion thread and enjoyed it. It's a bit on the long side (1.5 hours) but has a scoring system. It might make for a more diverse pick that we've never done before.

Lastly might as well suggest The Legend of Zelda scored in the style of Reed's ALttP competition. It looks like we've never done Zelda before, probably because there's no scoring system. Reed solved it by going Progression > Low deaths > Low hearts > etc. I imagine Zelda 1 could be scored similarly as Dungeons completed > Low deaths > Low hearts > etc. Where etc. could be specific (like Low sword upgrades > Low ring upgrades > Low weapons) or more generic (Low items and upgrades). Also there probably needs to be a ruling on whether retrying is allowed as it won't increase the death counter.

I looked up the Low% speedrun rules and they ban Heart containers, Letter, Blue Potion, Red Potion, Bomb Upgrades, White Sword, Magic Sword, Blue Ring, Red Ring, Power Bracelet, Magic Shield, Wooden Boomerang, Magic Boomerang, Wand, Red Candle, Book/Bible, Magic Key. This leaves Sword, Raft, Stepladder, Bow, Arrow, Silver Arrow, Blue Candle, Recorder, Food as the required items. Plus the Power Bracelet is required if we are doing second quest.