IGNORED

Music Debate #100: Led Zeppelin

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Events Team · Posted

10.  I don't think there's a bad tune in the bunch.  Zeppelin II is my favorites followed by Physical Graffiti and Houses. 

Interesting inclusion of Whitesnake And Gretta Van Fleet.  Whitesnake I'd give a 7; they're more their own thing.  5 for Gretta; completely derivative.  Can't believe they won a Grammy.  Oh wait, yes I can.

Edited by JamesRobot

10/10 one of the best. I actually hold them in higher regard than the Beatles. Hell I have a tattoo of their symbols. 

I never understood the Whitesnake comparison, I always found them pretty distinct in their sound. I understand the Greta Van Fleet thing. Though I do enjoy them because we ain't gunna get any new Led Zeppelin music so  I dont mind them ripping it off a bit. Some if their songs are just plain ripped and other songs are pretty unique.

• Like 1

I'm generally reticent to share my thoughts on music polls since music is so subjective, but Zeppelin is one of a few exceptions for me; easy 10. The technical prowess and musicianship of each member created so many timeless classics, and there is a pocket the band would hit where the groove was just...perfect.

Like any band, they had their lows, but even the tracks that don't traditionally get a lot of rotation are really interesting when given a chance. I think some of the phoned in live performances were the band's weak point; sometimes it was a home run and others, an embarrassment. Still, nothing can take away from the timelessness of Led Zeppelin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I never understood the Whitesnake comparison, I always found them pretty distinct in their sound.

It’s Coverdale that invites the comparison not necessarily Whitesnake.  They are after all contemporaries in the English rock scene.  If you want to talk about a man whose relevance to music history is severely undervalued it’s David Coverdale.  All because Whitesnake ended up being his most popular period.  Who by the way, in my opinion, is one of the most consistently enjoyable bands of that hair rock period.  

• Like 1

I like many Zeppelin tracks, and I know this may sound corny, but I thought Stairway to Heaven was cathartic after my father passed. I'm not a religious person, but for me that track makes this sound of an unknown journey that we are going to all have to take at some point. Most of us will end up sitting in a bed and sitting there as death approaches and it will all be on us to come to terms with what our lives meant. And the music changes from a darker sound to a more uplifting sound midway almost to say it's okay, all paths lead her and you should not be afraid.

Edit: also, there is almost an ethereal quality to the sound.

Edited by Californication

I gave them an 8.  I like Led Zeppelin but like a lot of classic rock greats I think I kind of burned myself out on them years ago.  I really don’t get the urge to listen very often any more.  I do think that the solo part in Stairway is in the running for greatest rock guitar solo of all time.  Probably goes to Comfortably Numb though.

Moderator · Posted

Easy 10 for me. Even though I’m mostly tired of the radio hits, the rest of the catalog is incredible, spanning from rock, to blues to folksy Americana. Incredible musicianship, and judging by the videos I’ve seen the live performances were incredible too. 

• Like 1