IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

This wasn't on my list, and I've beaten the American version many times, but I beat the Japanese version of Luigi's Mansion because today is the GameCube's 20th Anniversary (in Japan, anyway):

japaneseluigismansionscreen.jpg.5956cca0128ee4d41a705ae471e4c995.jpg

japaneseluigismansionscreen2.jpg.49f1f742b86a0304edbeadc3c1e53cd0.jpg

japaneseluigismansionscreen3.jpg.2051fc8634540a41651eb722adfa0602.jpg

japaneseluigismansionscreen4.jpg.0d4b0e3af0b932b5653f0120ee3b778e.jpg

Didn't quite get a Rank A Mansion, but I did get Rank B.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Must... resist...

My massive backlog is the only thing shielding me from the seduction of Deathloop. I can do it. I can wait until it's "free" on Game Pass in one year. I just need to keep repeating that phrase and start a new game.

Honestly? Play it now.

There's a multiplayer aspect that you'll likely miss out on otherwise. Similar to Dark Souls' invasions; it's incredibly fun and there's plenty people playing right now. Who knows, in a year or so.

Fcking Plok is a bastard. 🙂

Made it to Rockyfella though, once I beat him just 8 more levels to go.

Edit: So I got to Rockyfella with 8 lives. Got down to the last life and figured out how to beat him. Thinking I could beat him using one life next time. And I made it to the last area. 🙂

20210919_105916.jpg

20210919_111458~2.jpg

20210919_111608.jpg

Edited by Californication
  • Love 1

Finished up Psychonauts 2 yesterday, another non-backlog game, and it was fantastic.

0yUFBgD.jpg

It's easily a 9/10 for me and probably my game of the year. It has some of the best writing, character development, level design, and atmosphere of any game I've ever played. It explores some really interesting topics and gives all the characters meaningful backstories. When you enter their minds, you delve into their past traumas in really sensitive and smart ways. It's also just a beautiful game with amazing art direction.

356OnMr.jpg

If you liked the original game, you will love the sequel. If you didn't like the original, you will probably still love the sequel. It improves on every aspect of the first game and it just an absolute joy to play. I really wish there was more story and environment to explore and I'm already hoping for a Psychonauts 3. I highly recommend you add this game to your 2022 backlog list.

bd0TG7T.jpg

UnxnsNt.jpg

So what's next? I'm back on list for Streets of Rage 4 which seems like it will be short and sweet. First impression is that it looks and plays great, although movement feels a bit slow to me. I think it's also just tough to be a side scrolling brawler in 2021. I'll say a little more after I finish my playthrough (normal difficulty).

I'm still working on The Ascent, Mario 64, and It Takes Two, all of which were not on my list. I also want to start Horizon Zero Dawn since I'm finally ready for another big open world game and Sony just dropped a 60fps patch for the PS5 version. For October, I'm thinking it's time to get in on some spooky games, so maybe RE2 Remake and/or Dead Space.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

Finally got through Breath of Fire II. Feels longer than the original game. Terrible translation but not a bad game overall. Trying to figure out what to play next in the backlog. I might go after Paper Mario but at some point in October have to complete a mandatory run of Super Castlevania IV or Castlevania for Halloween.

IMG_0226.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, all! Yeah, sorry I've been kinda MIA for a while. Bought and moved into a new house earlier this year and it's been a whirlwind. But I'm trying to get back on-track with this backlog challenge.

I've made several attempts to get through Duck Tales...but for a Disney Afternoon NES game (and a game I never really played back in the day), it's friggin' tough! I can get through about 3 stages or so and then I just run out of lives. Gonna keep trying but I'm not sure I'll make it through this one.

I have been making progress through God of War...but that (and all other plans for game-time on the PS4) has slowed to a crawl, as the PS4 has now been moved into my son's room.

Made a few passes at Shinobi III. What a great game. I always get to the airship stage but haven't made it past that yet.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Webhead123 said:

I love this game so much. It is easily in my top 3 Zelda games...even though I constantly go back and forth on where to rank the other 2.

top for me is alttp, this is second, and then OG haha, hot take, i am not a huge fan of the n64 ones 😉  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Jeevan said:

top for me is alttp, this is second, and then OG haha, hot take, i am not a huge fan of the n64 ones 😉  

I've made no secret about the fact that I'm not either. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are great games...just not my favorite in the series by a long shot. For me, it's:

1) ALttP
2) BotW
3) Awakening
4) The Original
5) OoA/OoS

Depending on what mood I'm in on a given day, I'll swap the positions of BotW and Awakening.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Webhead123 said:

I've made no secret about the fact that I'm not either. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are great games...just not my favorite in the series by a long shot. For me, it's:

1) ALttP
2) BotW
3) Awakening
4) The Original
5) OoA/OoS

Depending on what mood I'm in on a given day, I'll swap the positions of BotW and Awakening.

would it upset you like the rest of the world that I have yet to want to play BOTW?????

😏

Just now, Jeevan said:

would it upset you like the rest of the world that I have yet to want to play BOTW?????

😏

It's fine. You do you, Jeeves! 😉 I will say this though...I'm not a terribly big fan of the "open-world" genre but I think that's because most of them end up feeling soulless and empty. BotW is a game that managed to "get it right" for me. The way it encourages the player to explore and discover is absolutely noteworthy. It really is a genius design.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

1) ALttP
2) BotW
3) Awakening
4) The Original
5) OoA/OoS

Have you played A Link Between Worlds? I loooooved it.