IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

I had that thought too. Yep, I've got the cart on Switch. Just deleted the game, but it requires the update for me to run it. Maybe because my save file is from the updated version? Doesn't seem like this will work.

Run it while not connected to the internet on your switch. It's likely pinging the server to see if an update is available, and they've set it to be strictly required. No internet, no see patch, no require patch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Run it while not connected to the internet on your switch. It's likely pinging the server to see if an update is available, and they've set it to be strictly required. No internet, no see patch, no require patch. 

I was thinking maybe the game wouldn't run at all without an update/download like you see on Xbox and Playstation, but I think Switch games have to work without an internet connection, right? Alternatively, I read his post as saying that he can start the game, but his save file just doesn't appear to load.

Hopefully, you didn't accidentally erase your save file while uninstalling the game, @acromite53. 😬😬😬

Edited by DoctorEncore

Administrator · Posted

It's always really hard for me to start up a new game. I have difficulty pinning down exactly what type of game I'm in the mood for. Often it's that I am still not "done" with whatever I just finished; right now I'd happily keep playing Dino Crisis despite having just beaten it and not even being all that impressed by it. 

The obvious answer might be to go play something else similar (such as Resident Evil), but I often find that moving to another similar game has me fizzle out on that game soon into it. When I played through Parasite Eve for instance, I immediately booted up the sequel, only to stop an hour or so into it. 

I dunno. I'll figure something out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

It's always really hard for me to start up a new game. I have difficulty pinning down exactly what type of game I'm in the mood for. Often it's that I am still not "done" with whatever I just finished; right now I'd happily keep playing Dino Crisis despite having just beaten it and not even being all that impressed by it. 

The obvious answer might be to go play something else similar (such as Resident Evil), but I often find that moving to another similar game has me fizzle out on that game soon into it. When I played through Parasite Eve for instance, I immediately booted up the sequel, only to stop an hour or so into it. 

I dunno. I'll figure something out. 

I find that I get really burnt out if I try to play games in the same genre back to back. Variety is huge for me. I even try to throw in genres I don't love just to keep things interesting. This is my list for this year:

1. Open World Action RPG (AC Valhalla)
  2. 2D Action Platformer (Cyber Shadow)
  3. Psychological Horror (The Medium)
  4. Nontraditional JRPG (Origami King)
  5. 2D Action Puzzler (Tetris Effect)
  6. 2D Metroidvania (Hollow Knight)
  7. Linear Cinematic Action Adventure (Last of Us)
  8. 3D Puzzle Platformer (Captain Toad)
  9. 3D Action Platformer (Psychonauts)
  10. 2D Action Platformer (The Messenger)
  11. Point and Click Adventure (Monkey Island 2)
  12. FPS (Doom Eternal)
  13. 3D Action (Nier)

Different strokes for different folks, but switching genres and spacing out games in the same series is clutch for me.

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I find that I get really burnt out if I try to play games in the same genre back to back. Variety is huge for me. I even try to throw in genres I don't love just to keep things interesting. This is my list for this year:

1. Open World Action RPG (AC Valhalla)
  2. 2D Action Platformer (Cyber Shadow)
  3. Psychological Horror (The Medium)
  4. Nontraditional JRPG (Origami King)
  5. 2D Action Puzzler (Tetris Effect)
  6. 2D Metroidvania (Hollow Knight)
  7. Linear Cinematic Action Adventure (Last of Us)
  8. 3D Puzzle Platformer (Captain Toad)
  9. 3D Action Platformer (Psychonauts)
  10. 2D Action Platformer (The Messenger)
  11. Point and Click Adventure (Monkey Island 2)
  12. FPS (Doom Eternal)
  13. 3D Action (Nier)

Different strokes for different folks, but switching genres and spacing out games in the same series is clutch for me.

True. Keeps it interesting! In that vein, I've started up Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. 🙂

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/5/2021 at 6:21 AM, Shmup said:

@Reed Rothchild just started dungeon 4. I won’t have as much time this week so that should give you some time to catch up 🙂

I got to the 2nd boss and got him maybe  down to 75%.  Couldn't hit a weakness despite full coverage, and have no real healing capabilities.  Guess I'll grind for awhile.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I got to the 2nd boss and got him maybe  down to 75%.  Couldn't hit a weakness despite full coverage, and have no real healing capabilities.  Guess I'll grind for awhile.

I had to grind a lot for this boss. I don't know if it was because I was really under levelled or my party wasn't suitable. I ended up grinding to around level 30 I think it was. I really hated this level and boss to tell you the truth but it gets better after this.

Also, not sure if this is a spoiler, but you can't kill the boss it just has different phases.

8 hours ago, Jeevan said:

working on starcraft 2 😉

Edit:  It's actually really decent so far btw.

I love the campaigns in both StarCraft games. Easily my favorite RTS games of all-time. I even trained up pretty hard in StarCraft 2 multiplayer, but it requires so much concentration to be competitive that it wasn't as fun for me.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I love the campaigns in both StarCraft games. Easily my favorite RTS games of all-time. I even trained up pretty hard in StarCraft 2 multiplayer, but it requires so much concentration to be competitive that it wasn't as fun for me.

maybe we can play someday and u can just kill me, it will be fun for you and not me 😆

• Like 1

Alright, I finally beat a game so @Reed Rothchildcan stop calling me out. 😘  Cyberpunk 2077 on X1 has been completed. I got the corporate ending and going back to Earth. I'll do another playthrough to get other endings when more content/updates release or when I get a Series X. Since the beginning on the year, I sold off almost half of the completion list so I've added more games to my list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Ok, 

Got the GBA out and am now playing some links awakening OG gameboy edition 😉  

So ugly sticking out like that, but the great thing is, i can pack it in my lunchbox and play a bit at work 😉 

And you can actually see the game, so that's great too.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, Aguy said:

And you can actually see the game, so that's great too.

it's so horrible how far it sticks out 😉  But hey, gotta love playing og carts man!  Nostalgia galore!!!!!!  I just kinda wish it wasn't "colored" and was just he og, but I can deal with one minor thing I think!  Nothing like playing your favorite gameboy game from the 90's on an original cart!!!!

I'm going somewhere it would be nice to bring a handheld to play some portable video games, but looking for Golden Sun I found the box empty 😱

I looked around and found a bunch of loose GBA games I had lying around, but no Golden Sun. Looked in the boxes for the games that I did find, and some of them actually had other GBA games in them, but still no Golden Sun. Looked in both my old DS and all of my GBAs, but no Golden Sun in them either.

Unless the game magically decides to resurface I might have to scratch that one from my list as well. 😞 

• Sad 1

Administrator · Posted

I have beaten Prince of Persia: Sands of time. 

Easy to see the influence it has had on other series, but overall it was honestly pretty dull by the halfway mark. It got interesting enough in the last 10% of the game, but it's definitely not something I'll likely ever replay. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, Gloves said:

I have beaten Prince of Persia: Sands of time. 

Easy to see the influence it has had on other series, but overall it was honestly pretty dull by the halfway mark. It got interesting enough in the last 10% of the game, but it's definitely not something I'll likely ever replay. 

I used to think that, but I have a craving to go back and play it every couple years. And it always seems to be more difficult than I remember.

Events Helper · Posted

Thanks to @Reed Rothchild I just purchased a game 😒.  Wasn't buying anything as I just completed my N64 set, and now here we are back at it because of the backlog thread!  It was suggested I invoice him half because his challenge made me spend money!

Scared Season 15 GIF by The Simpsons

Edit:  I'll post pics when I get it!

2nd Edit:  Not on my backlog list, was a game I had as a kid and I wanted it because of playing link's awakening.

• Like 1