IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - 2020 Tournament - Gyruss

BeaIank

Hey, what strat did you guys use for the Jupiter boss? I eventually did come up with a good strat where I kept circling the boss while occasionally stopping for a split second to get it to move a little closer until I could shoot it. Sometimes I wouldn't lose any lives at all doing it this way.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Hey, what strat did you guys use for the Jupiter boss? I eventually did come up with a good strat where I kept circling the boss while occasionally stopping for a split second to get it to move a little closer until I could shoot it. Sometimes I wouldn't lose any lives at all doing it this way.

That's the swinging arm guy right? I would avoid him until both his arms were in sync then shoot a power shot. 

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

That's the swinging arm guy right? I would avoid him until both his arms were in sync then shoot a power shot. 

I could never get good at the timing for power shots on that boss. But that is the other effective way of fighting him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I only fought him 3 or 4 times, but I noticed that if you time it right, you can hit him with a power shot right after you crack his 'shell' but before he goes all ape and flying around. After that, I'd just fly in a circle shooting at him. I actually took him down in about 10 seconds one time doing that. 

Events Team · Posted

Second round of the VGS NES Weekly Contest was no joke as the players had to save our entire solar system from doom in a game of Gyruss! Rules had to be tweaked a little, but one thing was sure, our heroes had to beat the game in order to hope entering the final round. Here are the results of the second round :

1st @0xDEAFC0DE Game cleared, 1,048,550
2nd @bertsampson Game cleared, 942,300
3rd @Gaia Gensouki Game cleared, 852,900

4th @Tablew/chairs Game cleared, 807,150
5th @Richardhead Game cleared, 751,600
6th @Jeevan Game Cleared, 659,400
7th @mbd39 Stage 39, 815,150
8th @8bitdontquit Stage 39, 737,750
9th @ninjistar Stage 27, 546,950
10th @NESfiend Stage 19, 330,500

Congratulations to the top 5 players for earning their right to compete in the final round and have a chance to win it all in 2020!

0xDEAFC0DE, aka The Puzzler, made a strong statement this week by wining this shooter round and send the message that he's ready for the final fight! The main game of the final round being Bubble Bobble, an arcade game with some puzzle elements, could definitely play in his favor, though he allegedly admitted having never played it before. Bert, the two times defending champion, is probably pleased to see Bubble Bobble in the end round, as he is known to be quite skilled in pretty much any arcade type game. Gaia Gensouki played his geral leaderboard rank with a 3rd a place this week, and made it a logical entry to the final round as he definitely belong with the elite players around. Contest's veteran Tablew/chairs crushed phenom Jeevan's hope to get a final round spot in his first year playing in the contest, with a late Sunday 4th place score. But the story of the week most probably belong to Richie, former 2016 champion, who posted an early 751,600 cleared score that stood up good for 5th place, while self battling a Covid-19 infection. So far so good, not only Richard is ready for the final bout, but his health is getting better every day passing by. Best of luck to all of you for taking the crown by next Sunday!

Naturally, if 5 players made it through, it also means that 5 players didn't make it. Let's take a moment to applaud their valiant last efforts in the NES Weekly Contest 2020 season. First off, Jeevan was so close of taking the 5th spot for the final round, as he was one of the 6 players who managed to clear the game this week, only the last in terms of score. He definitely proved to be a very serious competitor till the very end of his 2020 participation. While having not cleared the game, both Michael and 8bit clearly had a shot for either 4th or 5th place this week, as they managed to get high score with their stage 39 finish. It was only a matter of finding a way to beat the game and their scoring abilities would have changed drastically the final round matchup. Both are contest regulars and we know for sure they will be in it for the final stretch anytime soon in the future. And then we have the honest contributions of ninji and Nesfiend, that while not being on par with what it takes to go to the final round, had both very successful season in overall. For ninji, it is a return to the competition that is more than welcomed, as we all cherish when a player make a comeback in style. Nesfiend was only in his rookie year, and there's no doubt that he has a bright future ahead in our NES competition, as he will certainly turn in weekly wins at some point in time, sooner than later!

Again, a big thank to everyone involved in the NES Weekly Contest, and let's make a lot of noise for the final round taking place till next Sunday, with some Bubble Bobble and Circus Charlie fun and follies!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Tablew/chairs said:

@guillavoie

if it's not too late give my spot to jeevan.  I don;t have famicom games or use an emulator so i have no way to play circus charlie and I don't want to spoil the final round by not competing

my dude.....I am sure you would do better than I would without trying and I would get 5th.  🤣

I looked for a circus Charlie Rom and haven't found one yet, granted I was just wanting to try it.  

I kinda took the role of Mickey this round with someone already.  

However, if this is gonna happen I will do it for @ninjistar but think long and hard before you actually do that.  I would personally say it is too late, but that is just me.  if it makes u feel better, emulate it and I'll see about getting a copy and sending it to u   🤣

Anyways, let me know what everyone decides.  I have played BB as a kid, and never heard of the other one until now.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

@Jeevan I feel like for the finals it would be less lame to have someone that can participate in both games but finishes last than someone who only submits a score for one game. 
It’s not that I’m against emulating I just don’t have the ability to.

ok that's fair, I'll await a decision.  also, nice score on gyruss 🙂

Events Team · Posted

@Jeevan I feel like for the finals it would be less lame to have someone that can participate in both games but finishes last than someone who only submits a score for one game. 
It’s not that I’m against emulating I just don’t have the ability to.

I'd much rather have you partake on it.

It also shouldn't be too hard to get a circus charlie cart + a60 adapter, or even a multigame cart that has it if your NES is pin 4 modded.

I enjoyed this game so much that I ordered the cart. A nice thing about the contests is being introduced to games you might not play otherwise.

I also ordered Double Dragon 3 because it's the one DD I don't have and I've never beat.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I enjoyed this game so much that I ordered the cart. A nice thing about the contests is being introduced to games you might not play otherwise.

I also ordered Double Dragon 3 because it's the one DD I don't have and I've never beat.

Have you played DD3 before? I've beaten it a few times, but I never really cared for it.

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Have you played DD3 before? I've beaten it a few times, but I never really cared for it.

I vaguely remember renting it as a kid but it's been many years. I've seen other people beat it on Twitch and the final boss looks like a huge pain in the ass.

Edited by mbd39

• The topic was unpinned
16 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It only took me about several tries to beat the game when playing on real hardware and crt. It's interesting how much  lag makes a difference for some games.

Punch Out might be the worst game for lag. I can usually beat the game without taking a punch, but when I played it on the NES Classic, I was lucky if I could beat the game at all because the lag was so bad.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Punch Out might be the worst game for lag. I can usually beat the game without taking a punch, but when I played it on the NES Classic, I was lucky if I could beat the game at all because the lag was so bad.

Yeah. When I played MTPO on my PC with LCD monitor, I wondered if my skills had actually declined that much. Some punches become impossible to dodge. But on real hardware I can play just fine.

I also have trouble even  beating Marble Madness when I'm playing it on emulator on PC. I don't know if that's because of lag or because of using a different controller. I have muscle memory for beating MM with a NES dpad  so that could make a difference.