IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - 2020 Tournament - Gyruss

BeaIank

Looped - 1,048,550

IMG_20201205_230523.thumb.jpg.4339f5e652506c9a13dce202ea709262.jpg

Luckily, I didn't need a lot of time today. Hurray, 1CC and over 1 million. I didn't point press because it seems like it would be boring and I just wanted to beat the game. I'll be busy again tomorrow, so this is likely it for me (maybe I'll squeeze in a another game or two). 

Stage 27 - 660,000

I came into this week thinking "not a shmup", but I think this is my favorite (not that I've played that many). Anyway, I've been really busy this week as well so I've only made it to stage 27. I'm busy this weekend as well but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some more time. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I brought the NES over to the sports den to try to get some runs in while we watch basketball. Not constructive. Played two shitty games and ended up on black box golf. Damn @Bearcat-Douggetting me hooked on this!

Edit: shot a 74!

20201204_201747.jpg

20201204_214104.jpg

It looks like you are in Pete Rose's home office! Golf is a fun game. My best round was a -3, which I've matched a few times. @guillavoie had a -14 round in one of the weekly contests years ago. Shooting under par in Golf is my second best accomplishment in a black box sports game outside of the time I threw a perfect game in Baseball, which I probably couldn't ever do again if I tried. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It looks like you are in Pete Rose's home office! Golf is a fun game. My best round was a -3, which I've matched a few times. @guillavoie had a -14 round in one of the weekly contests years ago. Shooting under par in Golf is my second best accomplishment in a black box sports game outside of the time I threw a perfect game in Baseball, which I probably couldn't ever do again if I tried. 

Pete Rose's office is not far off the mark. There is actually a framed and autographed picture of pete in that room. 

Im doing a few more runs tonight, but I dont see me sinking a ton of Sunday into what is pretty clearly a lost cause. Have to get to the office for a few hours tomorrow also and I just haven't had the time I needed this week to make any real progress. Tough timing but thats life. 

Been a damn good time playing this year and itll be even more fun getting to play a full season next year. Goal for 2021 is to take down sports category!

Events Helper · Posted

Drop this here before I goto bed.  good luck all, I did beat the game.  thank God for extra lives.  no real time to memorize patterns and all, lots of points left on the table.  looks like this won't be top 5 with some others weighing in.  @Richardhead you beat me, but just lol.

how is the recovery going btw?

20201202_222826.thumb.jpg.2108ca9ed51d8a6730ce5101a728ceb0.jpg

20201202_222857.thumb.jpg.0935f28a4c8879981cba561f1e2936fe.jpg

At least I went out swinging 😉  

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

@Jeevangoing to bed? Does day shift start at 4 am?

nodding off so i wanna make sure i get that up before i forget and don't post tomorrow

also, i wake up at 4am, i usually try to be up till 10:30 or so, just so damned tired i nap at my PC some 😞

But ya, its been a rough week, 5 12s in a row right now on a new schedule.  I feel good till i get home then i am tired as hell 😆

Events Helper · Posted
20 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Stage 27 - 660,000

IMG_20201204_232623.thumb.jpg.816abec8527b667fad39265b599ad9c7.jpg

I came into this week thinking "not a shmup", but I think this is my favorite (not that I've played that many). Anyway, I've been really busy this week as well so I've only made it to stage 27. I'm busy this weekend as well but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some more time. 

honestly, hands down best nes shmup right here!!!!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Drop this here before I goto bed.  good luck all, I did beat the game.  thank God for extra lives.  no real time to memorize patterns and all, lots of points left on the table.  looks like this won't be top 5 with some others weighing in.  @Richardhead you beat me, but just lol.

how is the recovery going btw?

At least I went out swinging 😉  

Congrats. I'll have this beat if I can somehow reach stage 39 with five or six lives rather than two or three.

I wish this was just a high score contest rather than progress. Oh well.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

@NESfiend im usually on a 2-2-3 schedule, but with covid and all, people testing positive puts lots of overtime that is unavoidable on the table.......so i have been working extra as of late.  already at 350 hours of overtime out of a normal 208........for the year, and thats not counting anything next week and beyond.  

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Congrats. I'll have this beat if I can somehow reach stage 39 with five or six lives rather than two or three.

ya, honestly, i dont understand that........so there is a chance i will be in if not many beat it?  oh god 😆

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The final boss isn't too bad. Phase 1 is the worst for me, but just being ready to move when anything gets close works most of the time. Phase 2 I just save all my power shots for when it starts shooting lasers. Also if you're having problems with the intro bit, there's a way to cheese it...

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Pete Rose's office is not far off the mark. There is actually a framed and autographed picture of pete in that room. 

Im doing a few more runs tonight, but I dont see me sinking a ton of Sunday into what is pretty clearly a lost cause. Have to get to the office for a few hours tomorrow also and I just haven't had the time I needed this week to make any real progress. Tough timing but thats life. 

Been a damn good time playing this year and itll be even more fun getting to play a full season next year. Goal for 2021 is to take down sports category!

The multiple TVs tuned into various sports in a non sports bar setting do suggest gambling activity. That and it seems like I saw a Pete Rose documentary where he did have a similar setup in his office.

Events Team · Posted

Current scoreboard posted.

And also, reveal time.
The grand final game will be... Bubble Bobble!
The rules will be highest score and one life only.

But... THERE IS ALSO A TWIST!
You will also be competing for highest score in the first loop of Circus Charlie, 1 player mode B, one loop only, one life only!
FUN, isn't it?

Both games will net you championship points, with Bubble Bobble standing netting you the most points!
But don't get too confident as a poor showing on Circus Charlie can cost you YOUR TITLE!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

I was going to try to beat Gyruss today since I came so close. But I'm not good enough at Bubble Bobble to have much chance anyway. Forget it. I'm not even sure I'd survive to next round if I did since my score might not be good enough.

I still think Gyruss is a lot of fun and I want to beat it eventually. I should get the cart.

EDIT: Oh yeah I'd rather watch the CTWC Tetris finals today than play more Gyruss.

Edited by mbd39

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I was going to try to beat Gyruss today since I came so close. But I'm not good enough at Bubble Bobble to have much chance anyway. Forget it. I'm not even sure I'd survive to next round if I did since my score might not be good enough.

I still think Gyruss is a lot of fun and I want to beat it eventually. I should get the cart.

EDIT: Oh yeah I'd rather watch the CTWC Tetris finals today than play more Gyruss.

I should play some Bubble Bobble this week. I used to play the arcade version as a kid at the local pizza place. I don't think I've played it since the time I played through both loops in one sitting.