IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - 2020 Tournament - Gyruss

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello and welcome to our second round of TOURNAMENT ACTION, ladies and gentlemen!

Out of our 15 players, 10 heroes survived the first round.
Here they are:
@Gaia Gensouki
@Richardhead
@bertsampson
@Tablew/chairs

@NESfiend
@0xDEAFC0DE
@8bitdontquit
@mbd39
@Jeevan
@ninjistar

Out of those 10, only 5 will make through a BRUTAL ROUND OF GYRUSS!
Here's the rules they have to abide to during this week:

• Choose whichever controls you want
  • Progress + highest score will determine the winner
  • The highest score is capped at 1,200,000 points at the end of the first loop. If you reach 1,200,000 points before beating the end boss, you must stop your run and take your picture.
  • In case of one or more players score exactly 1,200,000 points at the end of the first loop, the tie break will be determined by their overall Shooter genre position through the 2020 VGS Weekly contest.
  • If you beat the game and has more than 1,200,000 points, your score will be disqualified.
  • If you reach past 1,200,000 before beating the game, your score counts as 1,199,950 for the stage where you broke the 1,200,000 points mark.
    Pause the game and take your picture in such case.
  • If you game over, state the stage you died when reporting the score at so that progress can be determined.
  • No looping of the game allowed.  If you beat the game, you must take your picture when the game loops back to stage 1.  Anyone suspected of playing on a second loop or beyond will have their score disqualified.

Good luck to those 10 brave warriors. They need it.

The contest ends Sunday, 12/06/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st 0xDEAFC0DE Game beaten - 1,048,550
2nd bertsampson Game beaten - 942,300
3rd Gaia Gensouki Game beaten - 852,900
4th Tablew/chairs Game beaten - 807,150
5th Richardhead Game beaten - 751,600
6th Jeevan Game beaten - 659,400
7th mbd39 Stage 39 - 815,150
8th 8bitdontquit Stage 39 - 737,750
9th ninjistar Stage 27 - 546,950
10th NESfiend Stage 19 - 330,500

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

only prob with gyruss is the point system. out of two players completing the game, the better player (one who can destroy enemies quiker) has an oppurtunity to finish with a lower score. 

Wouldn't the better player getting all the bonuses make up for it and then some? I played a little more last night and just got the basic parameters. I realized I was so bad that there were times I was extending the levels just because I didn't know what I was doing. But it wasn't really racking the score much. I scored better when I did better because I got the bonuses for hitting all the enemies in a row. 

The other thing that makes this a good game choice is 5 get to move on. It doesn't really matter much who gets 1st or 2nd and I can't imagine everyone is going to loop this. I certainly don't think I will. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Wouldn't the better player getting all the bonuses make up for it and then some? I played a little more last night and just got the basic parameters. I realized I was so bad that there were times I was extending the levels just because I didn't know what I was doing. But it wasn't really racking the score much. I scored better when I did better because I got the bonuses for hitting all the enemies in a row. 

The other thing that makes this a good game choice is 5 get to move on. It doesn't really matter much who gets 1st or 2nd and I can't imagine everyone is going to loop this. I certainly don't think I will. 

You’re not gonna loop it? That’s crazy talk!

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

You’re not gonna loop it? That’s crazy talk!

Never been good at NES shooters and generally avoided them until I started playing in these contests for that reason. Captain Skyhawk is the only one I can even remember beating offhand. I have actually really started enjoying them this season, but I am still shitty. Figured there would be a shooter in this thing and was hoping it would be the last round. I am going to give it my best and I will probably really enjoy the game. But seeing an end screen is likely a pipe dream. Never know though, I had never played alien syndrome and I didn't think I'd be able to clear level 4 no matter how much I tried. That felt like getting to the top of mt everest. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

getting all the bonus rounds isnt what seperates 1st from 2nd as they will both perfect the bonus rounds. the difference will be who couldnt destroy enemies as quick for that will yeild a respawn.

your might be right about top 5 but maybe not.

im not playimg though so....

but! if i was (rule change!) i would like to see what trying to hit closest to a set score would be like. it has to be high enough to clear the game and low enough that earning respawns is pointless.

one could still make it to the end of the game and camp for a bullseye. so is it any better than camping for a high score?

33 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Rules amended to make it progress + highest score, plus a tie breaker determined by the player shooter genre position through the VGS Weekly Contest of 2020.

Good, good.

What about players who accidentally go over 1,200,000 upon beating the game? What will their score count as?

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Good, good.

What about players who accidentally go over 1,200,000 upon beating the game? What will their score count as?

Their scores will be disqualified.

1,200,000 is the most they can have upon beating the game.
If they can't math to make exactly 1,200,000 to happen... well, too bad.

Edit: Clarified the rules about breaking 1,200,000 before beating the game and getting past 1,200,000 for beating the game.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Their scores will be disqualified.

1,200,000 is the most they can have upon beating the game.
If they can't math to make exactly 1,200,000 to happen... well, too bad.

I think it'd be better to count those scores as a million even or some such and still get credit for beating the game. Disqualification seems a bit harsh.

But I don't know how hard it is to beat the game with exactly 1,200,000. I very much doubt I'm going to beat the game anyway.

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I think it'd be better to count those scores as a million even or some such and still get credit for beating the game. Disqualification seems a bit harsh.

But I don't know how hard it is to beat the game with exactly 1,200,000. I very much doubt I'm going to beat the game anyway.

This is the tournament. There will be no kindness or leeway from my part, only PURE EVIL!!
If one can beat the game, one can also figure a way to have exactly 1,200,000 points after beating the last boss.
Or... if they aren't confident enough, they will have to keep their scores below 1,200,000 points and admit they aren't as good as they thought they were!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!