IGNORED

Divorce: Vindictive wife to be raiding my collection on Sunday

5centgum

Someone here must have gone through something similar. Wife and family are allotted 10 hours to go through my collection that is organized and mostly packed away in boxes. Obviously she is not happy with the financial distribution and looking to nickel and dime me. She has 0 interest in my hobby and found it to be a waste of time. I started collecting about 7 years ago, shortly after my last drink of alcohol so my collection has extreme sentimental value to me. The people I met, the chases I've been on, the adrenaline of finding a gem for a buck and so on. Not to mention the joys it has given my kids and a way to share part of my youth and culture with them. 

I am curious as to any stories you may have, any suggestions (not hiding things), how they went about valuing your collection and what was the outcome. Was the value based off of your purchase price (impossible to figure but favorable to me), the insured price or simply the market price on that particular day. I already gave a favorable estimate (added 20% to my estimate) just to keep their hands off my stuff.

I am thinking about live streaming it from 5 or 6 network cams on YouTube... Its happening this Sunday. Link: https://youtu.be/1jdNj4qJByY

Oh and big detail. I cannot be there, hence the ip cams. 

Thank you.

Edited by 5centgum
  • Sad 3

Aren't you  still the owner? Sell it all off and spend all the money. She might be entitled to some of it but she can't get it if it doesn't exist anymore and i don't think you're legally obligated to never spend or do away with what is yours. I've never heard of a would-be inheritance that had a ban on it getting depleted.

1 hour ago, cartman said:

I've never heard of a would-be inheritance that had a ban on it getting depleted.

This isn't a "would be inheritance".  It sounds more like the collection was explicitly named as part of the divorce proceedings.  It would very likely be illegal to alter the collection, or hide parts of it, until this is dealt with.

It does seem like bad judgment to have accepted terms that involve splitting up the individual items, rather than agreeing to selling some portion and just giving her cash, since her ability to fuck things up for him are amplified by what sound like fuzzy terms.

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted

Though it is odd at first read, if the collection is significant, parties look at it as assets.  If purchased with shared assets, (not a lawyer and don't play one on TV), but sounds like it is up for division.  Could negotiate other assets in lieu of splitting this up, but sounds like that negotiation period has passed already.  Anyway, sorry for your losses and good luck.

11 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

This isn't a "would be inheritance".  It sounds more like the collection was explicitly named as part of the divorce proceedings.  It would very likely be illegal to alter the collection, or hide parts of it, until this is dealt with.

It does seem like bad judgment to have accepted terms that involve splitting up the individual items, rather than agreeing to selling some portion and just giving her cash, since her ability to fuck things up for him are amplified by what sound like fuzzy terms.

Ok. Yeah if it's explicitly stated in the contract like that it's likely that he can't circumvent it.

I was thinking something like if ones parents die the son gets the house but if they sold the house and spent it all there's nothing to get, and it wasn't illegal for them to sell and spend what was theirs. But this is apparently different.

A lot people don't realize or care that marriage is a legal contract until it's all too late. Over here you don't even have to be married it's enough that you lived with your partner as a couple for legally binding rules to be at play. So if you live with just a girlfriend and during the relationship you bought property mostly paying yourself, she is still entitled to half of it once you break up.

I'm not sure how you collect, but best option would be to get all of your IB out now. Most people outside the hobby still don't think that paper and cardboard holds much value, and it might seem suspect if half your volume of games disappeared overnight. Plus it will be easier to build your collection back up if you only have to hunt for loose games.

1 minute ago, tbone3969 said:

This can't be legit.....

Can it?

I call click bait.

Similar thing happened to me. Wife got to come into the condo while I was away and take whatever she wanted. It was pretty frustrating the next few weeks finding things missing. 
Brought her boyfriend with her too to help out.

• Like 1
  • Angry 3

Just pay her!

What use could she or any lay person have with half a game collection? They will never be able to extract the full value from raw items anyway!

Just sum up a rough value for the total collection somewhere between what you paid and what it's worth and halve that. 

Alternatively, pile the carts, boxes and assorted paraphernalia into a large pyre, douse it and yourself with petrol, then position yourself on top and set the whole thing ablaze!

12 minutes ago, 5centgum said:

It's legit dude. I don't think I've ever posted and I just wanted the communities input which is appreciated.

She does not want the actual games she wants the value amount which I don't know if it's insured value or the value I purchased for or what.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the video of her pilfering your collection. Probably just make ya really fucking angry though. Hell, probably make me really fucking angry. Good luck man.

14 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Just pay her!

What use could she or any lay person have with half a game collection? They will never be able to extract the full value from raw items anyway!

I agree, but if the divorce was ugly and she’s feeling vindictive, it probably isn’t about the money to her but about hurting him by taking the games specifically.

10 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I agree, but if the divorce was ugly and she’s feeling vindictive, it probably isn’t about the money to her but about hurting him by taking the games specifically.

He just said she wants the value.

Ballpark a figure halfway between what was paid and FMV, then split that in half. Bingo!

That's the rational response, at least. I couldn't imagine being in that situation myself, so all I can do it offer best guesses, well wishes, and cutting burns.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5centgum said:

It's legit dude. I don't think I've ever posted and I just wanted the communities input which is appreciated.

She does not want the actual games she wants the value amount which I don't know if it's insured value or the value I purchased for or what.

"Insured value" is wholly irrelevant.

Up to you whether you want to push for "purchased value" or "current value", though.

If you have thorough purchase records, then that is the most real-world number you have access to.

I get since it has value, the collection is part of you divorce proceedings. What I don’t understand is why and how someone came up with she “and her family” get to pick through the games for 10 hours. How was the time limit constructed and why does her family have anything to do with this. I would have surely thrown in that phones/tablets/laptops/electronic devices of any kind are strictly forbidden to keep them from just nabbing all the high value stuff. 

Your divorce must not be civil (on at least decent communication terms not civil vs criminal) because in most cases the collection would be divided up or you’d both be thrown in a room and pick games one by one taking turns until everything was 50/50. 

Or you are leaving out that the divorce falls on you for adultery or abuse or something of that nature and your soon to be ex wife has all the leverage. 

• Like 1

I don't understand how this is hard, just take half the insured value and either give her the money or that value in games. I just figured that out for you in 10 seconds.

A similar thing happened to a local reseller here, I would regularly go to his house to pick things out from his basement and one day he posted a photo with everything gone. Most of the high end stuff went to me month after month but after that stuff was gone, someone else made him a 5 figure offer for the entire lot and it went out the door. I'm guessing his wife got half.

Although it'd be nice to have a lifetime partner and start a family, reading shit like this coupled with the shenanigans my ex gf pulled makes me ultimately happy that I'm single? 

Good luck bro, no matter what the outcome.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cartman said:

A lot people don't realize or care that marriage is a legal contract until it's all too late. Over here you don't even have to be married it's enough that you lived with your partner as a couple for legally binding rules to be at play. So if you live with just a girlfriend and during the relationship you bought property mostly paying yourself, she is still entitled to half of it once you break up.

We have that here, too. Sondra Locke and Clint Eastwood had a real famous dispute over that despite never being officially hitched.