what have you been listening to?

nesking80

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

@Reed Rothchild, what are the top 3 Ghost albums you'd recommend for me?  I have infestissumam.

Nice!

Infest is usually considered the weakest, but they're all good.

1. Meliora - Often considered the best.  Has Cirice and He Is, and some of the best deeper cuts like Majesty, Absolution, and Deus In Absentia.  And by far the best bonus track they've ever done in Zenith.
  2. Impera - The most over-the-top and fun album.  Kaiserion is Rush meets Maiden, Spillways is Toto meets Bon Jovi, Watcher in the Sky is Ozzy, Griftwood is Van Halen, Respite is... Asia meets White snake or something, Sunshine is the Black Album, etc.
  3. Prequelle - Or maybe this is the most over-the-top.  Disco (Dance Macabre), saxophone (Miasma), showtunes (Pro Memorial), and their singular best song in Rats.

And then Opus is great (I've had it since the beginning) and is what brought all the initial infamy, probably their most serious and metal sound.  The live album (Ceremony) has some great tracks that are stronger than the studio versions(Secular Haze, Ghuelh) and some that sound pretty weak (He Is).  The three EPs all have 1-2 great songs, but are mostly covers.  And I think you can get them bundled with some of the albums anyway.  That's where their 2 biggest songs are (Square Hammer, Mary On a Cross).

I'm sure @Brickman has other opinions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice!

Infest is usually considered the weakest, but they're all good.

1. Meliora - Often considered the best.  Has Cirice and He Is, and some of the best deeper cuts like Majesty, Absolution, and Deus In Absentia.  And by far the best bonus track they've ever done in Zenith.
  2. Impera - The most over-the-top and fun album.  Kaiserion is Rush meets Maiden, Spillways is Toto meets Bon Jovi, Watcher in the Sky is Ozzy, Griftwood is Van Halen, Respite is... Asia meets White snake or something, Sunshine is the Black Album, etc.
  3. Prequelle - Or maybe this is the most over-the-top.  Disco (Dance Macabre), saxophone (Miasma), showtunes (Pro Memorial), and their singular best song in Rats.

And then Opus is great (I've had it since the beginning) and is what brought all the initial infamy, probably their most serious and metal sound.  The live album (Ceremony) has some great tracks that are stronger than the studio versions(Secular Haze, Ghuelh) and some that sound pretty weak (He Is).  The three EPs all have 1-2 great songs, but are mostly covers.  And I think you can get them bundled with some of the albums anyway.  That's where their 2 biggest songs are (Square Hammer, Mary On a Cross).

I'm sure @Brickman has other opinions

Almost the same but for me it is:

1) Infestissumam

2) Meliora

3) Impera

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Got recommended King Crimson off a Bjork album of all things and it rules. Then I spent all last night listening to prog rock albums to see if I like prog rock and I don't. King Crimson seems to be pretty great though. Breaking into new genres is hard.

Great prog rock band to get into though! What about Dream Theater? Give a listen to porcupine tree as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brickman said:

Great prog rock band to get into though! What about Dream Theater? Give a listen to porcupine tree as well.

Dream Theater's ok. I'm fine with any cheesy epic metal music. I'll dig more into some of the other prog stuff, but else nothing really grabbed me in an "I could listen to this all day" way yet. I gotta listen to more Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator. They seemed the most interesting to me.

Today (Dec 10) is the 200th anniversary of Cesar Franck's birth. He was well-known during his career as one of the best organists alive, and was a highly regarded and influential teacher as the Paris Conservatoire from 1872 until his death.

His music wasn't well appreciated during his lifetime, but he's now recognized as one of the greatest 19th century composers.

Today I'll listen to his famous Violin Sonata, Symphonic Variations, and the Six Pièces pour Grand Orgue in commemoration of the mutton-chopped "Père Franck", as nicknamed by his beloved circle of students.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 12/9/2022 at 12:29 PM, JamesRobot said:

Thanks!  Had to hit up the record store during lunch, so perfect timing.  Picked up Impera and a 2 disc Meliora/Popestar.

Nice.  Good choices.  Although it looks like even the Deluxe version of Meliora omits Zenith, which basically means it's near impossible to have a copy of that track.

And then there's a movie version of Hunter's Moon off Impera, and I think it's even better than the studio track, but that's also missing from every release.  Very strange choices by the label to make some of their best songs impossible to own

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

Been listening to all Faith No More albums on a loop for the last two weeks. I've only known a handful of songs before so this is the first time I'm really exploring their whole catalog and I gotta say I'm enjoying the hell out of them. Wish I'd listened to them sooner.

• Like 1