IGNORED

what have you been listening to?

nesking80

• 3 weeks later...
Events Team · Posted

Yeah, been on a real Beatles kick lately, haha. Listened to Nowhere Man for the first time in a very long while a couple weeks ago, since I had it stuck in my head out of nowhere, and that ended up leading me down a rabbit hole I haven't gone down since I was a kid. Hearing a lot of their songs for the first time in over a decade. Really brings back a lot of memories.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, G-type said:

I've been on a bit of a 90s Nu-metal kick lately.

Sev: they were a local band to me, during the height of the Nu-metal movement. Sort of a 311-influenced sound. Out of all the local bands, they seemed like they would have a real shot at going big. They won our alternative radio station's (WHFS) "Big Break" contest and got to open the HFStival in 1999.

Then won Farmclub (Matt Pinfield's short-lived battle of the bands tv show on the USA Network, and were signed by Geffen. Then shortly after Geffen dropped them, one of their songs ended up in a Pepsi Blue commercial. But nothing much ever happened after that.

Edited by G-type

It's kinda sad, but I sorta dropped out of paying attention to music.  I spend A LOT of time thinking about computers and video games, so I guess something had to give over the years.

I tend to be satisfied with Spotify and Pandora.  While working on some projects this weekend, I ended up listening to the A Plus: Alternative Radio station on Pandora and really enjoyed it.  It's a good mix of old and new that gives me some tastes of stuff I haven't heard while mixing in the stuff I do.  Give it a listen.  If you grew up listening to "alternative" music and you mix in a little old stuff like Fleetwood Mac then give it a listen and you will like it.

I started checking out Poppy's stuff yesterday. interesting.

I had forgotten I had seen this video she did 5 years ago: almost a parody of pop music.

She seems to intermix music videos with these weird short videos where she acts like a ditzy robot girl:

her more recent stuff is quite a change of pace:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is Paul Dukas' birthday, so I've been ram-assing through his published works today. Started with the Piano Sonata in E flat minor, then the Rameau variations. I'm going to savor Ariane et Barbe-Bleue, and then get into his Symphony, La Peri, and, of course, the Sorcerer's Apprentice. A few more smaller works, and, sadly, that's all there is.

I can't think of another late 19th century-early 20th century composer who had a masterpiece in so many genres, and who is both incredibly recognizable for one work, and yet massively underappreciated.

Remember Röyksopp who were huge 15-20 years ago with hits like Eple, What Else Is There, and Easy Up Here? They also had a massive hit with their Robyn collab (Do It Again) in 2014 but somehow I didn't realize it was them at the time.

Anyway they are still around, and they are doing a series of three whole albums this year! The first two have both been incredibly good, and the three tracks revealed from the third so far make it seem like it might even be the best of the bunch. The new one released just a few days ago is a real banger!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1