IGNORED

Video Game Music Appreciation Thread

AverageOliver98

Question: Do you know of a song from a video game that you want to spread the word on how amazing(or bad... or weird) it is, but haven't found a suitable place to do so? Well this thread is what you've been looking for! (I'm surprised a thread dedicated to VGM didn't appear sooner...)

So apparently, Square Enix started up a Music Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMx60HYcw1ieiPlZZagfqXQ/featured
The channel is more of a collection of playlists of SE OST's, most of the song titles are in Japanese, and there's a good number of games missing (sorry Rad Racer and 3-D World Runner fans), but I think there'll be something there for just about anyone. (Now all we need is Nintendo to do something like this)

A few personal favorites of mine:

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Video Game Music Appreciation Thread

I went on a binge a bit online of getting some game soundtrack CDs which all arrived late last week and yesterday.  I strongly suggest checking them out, especially of you're part of the SNES era generation of games, NES(Famicom) too.

Final Fantasy IV Original Soundtrack Remaster(it's the original they just doubled the track times)
Ys I & II
Nintendo Power Play is Loud Vol 1
Nintendo Sound History: Mario the Music
Nintendo Sound History: Zelda the Music

I'm looking for a few more, I'm enjoying these things. 🙂  I see a couple I want, but they're well...tricky, unless you're a fool wanting to drop a $100 on a CD(or few.)

The NSH duo, they're a sweet spread of original clean recorded audio.  The Mario one has MB arcade, SMB1-3, Yoshi's Cookie and Dr Mario soundtracks.  The Zelda one that's beefier, everything from FDS version of Zelda 1+2 up through Four Swords Gamecube which really just fleshes out largely the run of the SNES games tracks which is fantastic. 😄

The Play it Loud one is a SNES gem... a selection of Yoshi's Island, Ken Griffey (meh just 3), F-Zero, Zelda, Super Metroid, and Star Fox.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple CD soundtracks, though most of them aren't as old as what Tanooki's been purchasing: Undertale, Deltarune Chapter 1, Thunder Force IV and Killer Instincts' Killer Cuts. Also have vinyls of 'Spacer Invaders' by Player[1] and 'Pac-Man Fever' by Buckner & Garcia, though I haven't really listened to them.

Anyways, to commemorate the 1st of April...

With the obligatory meme-mix out of the way, Zero Wing's MD soundtrack is pretty great, with my favorite song, aside from the Intro, being Stage 2's theme. Also, who doesn't like Can-Can music?

Edited by AverageOliver98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lenna's Theme some how on the SFC has created the phatest bass tone in any chip tune I've ever heard.  Good song, but when the bass kicks in... chiptune heaven.

What gets me is I've always loved the sound of this song and bass line.  It was years later after my first play through that I saw comments by many other people that are in love with the bass line in this song.

There there's my go to for best chiptune of all time for the NES.   Streets of Desolation for Batman

Last, for now, I got to say I love the DQ theme from Dragon Quest 8.  DQ's main theme has more or less been the same with just a re-recording and minor re-arranging for each new release.  Regardless, DQ8s take is my favorite.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Agreed on the FFV soundtrack it has some insanely stand out music for the franchise and the system.

I also agree and feel like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. The soundtrack disk from FF Anthology is still in my regular rotation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Agreed on the FFV soundtrack it has some insanely stand out music for the franchise and the system.

47 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I also agree and feel like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. The soundtrack disk from FF Anthology is still in my regular rotation.

Yes, the whole OST is amazing.  Definitely my favorite for the NES.  Chrono Trigger is pretty close a second, and FF III is certainly great too.

I don't listen to these songs on Spotify or CD.  Instead, I use YouTube.  There's a playlist for every game OST imaginable and the names are almost always translated in English.  There's a lot of this stuff on Spotify but when I last looked years ago, it was all named and titled in Japanese.

I've got the Kekfa's Domain classic set for FF3US, and then I have the FF4 imported audio cd with the extended tracks for the SNES stuff, haven't got around to grabbing FF5.

I don't largely buy audio CDs for games much, but lately I did a little run of a few FF4 being one and I sample them to MP3 format and use copytrans control center to pop them on my phone without dealing with iTunes insidious behavior. 🙂

These soundtracks are extremely underrated and deserve to be more well-known:

The updated title screen music from the Japanese e+ version of Animal Crossing.

The soundtrack from the GameCube version of Adventure Island, which features both new music and extended remixes of music from the NES version. It also has an unlockable option that changes the soundtrack to the NES version.

All of the music from the GameCube version of Yoshi's Cookie.

Bonk's Adventure GameCube soundtrack.

Menu music from the Japanese GameCube e-Catalog discs.

A music track exclusive to the GameCube version of Pac-Man World 2.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1