Billy Mitchell's Kong Score  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Did Billy Mitchell Cheat?

• Yep! He's a filthy cheat and a liar.
    • Hell no! Reinstate the score!

13 hours ago, Estil said:

Money can't buy self respect.

Science says it can.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/streams-of-consciousness/can-money-buy-self-esteem/

studies show that people do reap real psychological benefits from the purchase of high status items...these two values share a cerebral home suggests we may weigh our reputation in cash terms. Whether we like it or not, attaching a monetary value to social status makes good scientific sense.

To an extent of course. Oh, and before you say the obvious, yes, money can buy happiness too

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/D35CE872-DDF8-C4D8-FD7967170523903D/

Happy to expose all those lies you heard of when you were a kid 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Oh, and before you say the obvious, yes, money can buy happiness too

Yeah, I've never quite understood that argument. Like, sure, money does not automatically equate to happiness, but money can absolutely buy you things that make you extremely happy, therefore, money can buy happiness.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I can't believe any of you would give Silly Bitchell the benefit of the doubt.  He cheated and it was extensively proven.  He lied and continues to gaslight us about it, and now is doubling down on his lies because that's the small-minded, pathetic type of man he is.  I don't deny that he has talent, but this whole charade is laughable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

To be fair, science in that particular case says hydrogen sulfide might help ward of some illness (might), but of course since hydrogen suflide is associated with farts then the media ays "Sniffing your partners’ farts could help ward off disease" because hey, it's the media, they know who they're writing for.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MisterGoomba said:

If it were not for someone as flamboyant as Billy would anyone have cared about classic gaming scoring or had brought it to the mainstream such as he had done so. 

I'm sure Mitchell helped popularize gaming as a sport, but even without him there would have been competition and interest in classic gaming. Again, from my perspective I didn't know about this until the movie "King of Kong" which would have happened even without Mitchell. There will always be someone with a high score and always someone to root for like Steve Wiebe!

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I'm sure Mitchell helped popularize gaming as a sport, but even without him there would have been competition and interest in classic gaming. Again, from my perspective I didn't know about this until the movie "King of Kong" which would have happened even without Mitchell. There will always be someone with a high score and always someone to root for like Steve Wiebe!

King of Kong was light years more interesting because they played up Billy Mitchell as the bad guy. No one would care to root for Steve Wiebe if there weren't an antagonizer like Billy Mitchell to root against.   As mentioned earlier he is the perfect classic wrestling heel, he is a character and makes the most of it. 

I think some people got stuffed into one too many lockers by the Billy Mitchell of their high school! 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

King of Kong was light years more interesting because they played up Billy Mitchell as the bad guy. No one would care to root for Steve Wiebe if there weren't an antagonizer like Billy Mitchell to root against.   As mentioned earlier he is the perfect classic wrestling heel, he is a character and makes the most of it. 

I think some people got stuffed into one too many lockers by the Billy Mitchell of their high school! 😆

I think that's a fair point. And if you look at Laseki's video, it appears to be the case that Mitchell's son, Billy Jr (heh, I'm not making that up), is a chip of the old block... yup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

He won a 95 million 4 year contract. 

Was it worth missing out on the HOF?  Is it worth having a bunch of FAKE records*?  Was it worth all the booing/asterisk cards/giant syringes waved at him?  Was it worth the shrunken balls and swollen head?

• Haha 2

Just now, Estil said:

Was it worth missing out on the HOF?  Is it worth having a bunch of FAKE records*?  Was it worth all the booing/asterisk cards/giant syringes waved at him?  Was it worth the shrunken balls and swollen head?

To him, Mcguire, Canseco, Clemens, Lance Armstrong, Ryan Braun, ARod, Manny, Sosa and all the countless other middle tier athletes that owe their careers and  hundreds of millions of dollars of salary to their drug use, probably think it was worth it. 

Plus, Lance Armstrong, and ARod got to sleep with female rockstars. I'd say they call their careers total wins!

There was a video I recall seeing a couple years ago now; it went further then just whether he was using MAME or not, things like the "speed" of which he would post new world records of his when someone would actually beat his posted record at the time, as well basically unanimously agreed that later runs were, at best, unverifiable? Unless I'm getting him mixed up with another world record or speedrunner who was caught cheating? It all runs together a bit lol

On 10/28/2020 at 9:09 PM, Renmauzo said:

Either way, talent is talent. This guy missed his calling as a wrestler though, he's a pretty masterful heel.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:19 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Which is why he cheated when he knew he was bested. He couldn't live with that fact that someone was better than him. 

Seems like this was the case. His original records seem to be legit, so it's a bit of a shame that those aren't (or weren't?) now being recognized... but then he did it to himself. At the least maybe if he put in the work to prove himself legitmate and could get recognized that way... idk what the dood has been doing since as I don't follow these shenanigans lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

Billy learned the hard way that there is always someone better out there and I think part of it has to do with him being in an older generation. He dominated at local events and was in bed with Twin Galaxies which boosted his already inflated ego. He's obviously an amazing arcade player but once this stuff became more mainstream and easily shared more competitors came out of the woodwork and I think he realized that his reign of video game master was threatened/over. Very rare these days for someone to solely dominate in a particular game. Look at any competitive gaming or speed running and there will almost always be someone at the top for a few months/years but eventually someone else comes along and pushes the boundaries. Billy did the stupid move of taking this personally and cheated as a result. He's made his bed so now he can lie in it.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

303615856_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1819-24-09.thumb.png.21d2fb66b70ebf1a100dd8dfff22dce0.png

https://www.eteknix.com/twin-galaxies-now-suing-billy-mitchell/

It seems, however, that in something that many would perceive to be long overdue, someone has now decided to fight fire with fire. Yes, Twin Galaxies is officially suing Billy Mitchell and, based on the evidence, they make an exceptionally compelling case...Put simply though, the current owner of Twin Galaxies is alleging various practices of misrepresentation and fraud when Billy Mitchell, as a part-owner, sold Twin Galaxies back in 2014. Part of the suit alleges not only the deliberate misrepresentation of highscores and achievements (in order to artificially inflate the companies value) but also that Billy Mitchell and Walter Day (the other co-owner) used the business to pay off personal debts. And if you’re not aware, this is a huge legal no-no!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, avatar! said:

303615856_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1819-24-09.thumb.png.21d2fb66b70ebf1a100dd8dfff22dce0.png

https://www.eteknix.com/twin-galaxies-now-suing-billy-mitchell/

It seems, however, that in something that many would perceive to be long overdue, someone has now decided to fight fire with fire. Yes, Twin Galaxies is officially suing Billy Mitchell and, based on the evidence, they make an exceptionally compelling case...Put simply though, the current owner of Twin Galaxies is alleging various practices of misrepresentation and fraud when Billy Mitchell, as a part-owner, sold Twin Galaxies back in 2014. Part of the suit alleges not only the deliberate misrepresentation of highscores and achievements (in order to artificially inflate the companies value) but also that Billy Mitchell and Walter Day (the other co-owner) used the business to pay off personal debts. And if you’re not aware, this is a huge legal no-no!

What goes around comes around, eh?

• 5 weeks later...