Billy Mitchell's Kong Score  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Did Billy Mitchell Cheat?

• Yep! He's a filthy cheat and a liar.
    • Hell no! Reinstate the score!

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Update from our friend Karl "FU-WATA" Jobst 🙂

I found this video to be pretty cringe worthy. There are a lot of immature leaps to judgement here. Ok, he’s trying to flatter the judge talking about the ties, but it’s pretty much a nothing burger. How do we know that Melanie Griffith wasn’t someone affiliated with the case proceedings? Assuming that he’s naming dropping a has been celebrity on a judge to show his importance seems like a huge leap.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a Billy Mitchell fan. However, the video makes some pretty foolish looking statements and assumptions.

38 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I found this video to be pretty cringe worthy. There are a lot of immature leaps to judgement here. Ok, he’s trying to flatter the judge talking about the ties, but it’s pretty much a nothing burger. How do we know that Melanie Griffith wasn’t someone affiliated with the case proceedings? Assuming that he’s naming dropping a has been celebrity on a judge to show his importance seems like a huge leap.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a Billy Mitchell fan. However, the video makes some pretty foolish looking statements and assumptions.

I felt the same way tbh. While Milly Bitchell certainly didn't sound great, I think the points Karl raised in this video were a bit childish and definitely leapt to some conclusions. The point about stolen valor too...while he said it may be, and that different people had different opinions about it...IDK. I would've focused more on his excuse making and lack of understanding of the law/proceedings than the silly crap he said.

• Agree 1

On 10/28/2020 at 10:58 PM, mbd39 said:

I'm sure he's a great gamer but who cares. He's annoying and full of himself. Give me Tom Votava any day.

imo billy is a great gamer and one of the most historic/iconic. it does seem like he couldnt/was afraid to let go of his record. i wish he would have just played straight up on a legit cab/board with witness. when your as good as he is sometimes taking a loss makes you better. i would bet it would have made him want to get the record back.

tom @rdrunner is a great gamer. one of the best imo

but my favorite gamer is Ben Gold. guy had a bit of grind it out style. i mean besides being one hell of a gamer.

anyone who has seen "king of kong" should check out "chasing ghosts" you might look at billy mitchel a little differently...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I'm sure some sort of update will be made, as it was mentioned in the comments that Billy was likely name-dropping the judge's assistant, and just flubbed her name (her name's Karina Griffith or something like that).  Flubs like that happen a lot.

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

I felt the same way tbh. While Milly Bitchell certainly didn't sound great, I think the points Karl raised in this video were a bit childish and definitely leapt to some conclusions. The point about stolen valor too...while he said it may be, and that different people had different opinions about it...IDK. I would've focused more on his excuse making and lack of understanding of the law/proceedings than the silly crap he said.

I view it more as just a way to rub it in to a guy who hates losing that he lost.  Yeah, some of the speculation was unnecessary and childish, but it doesn't detract to the "ha ha, you lost" factor that I believe the video was going for.  Although it's pretty ballsy to do seeing as Billy is pursuing a lawsuit against him...if anything, this may just be giving Billy more ammo for that suit.

• Like 2

It was amusing to hear Billy say he spoke with "Melanie Griffiths" (most likely he meant Karena Griffiths the judge's assistant) 🙂
Anyway, it's clear that Karl does NOT like Billy, and I can't really blame him. Yeah, Karl absolutely makes some leaps and suppositions, but I don't think he is trying to pass them as fact, just his opinions. As others have noted, Billy's actions speak for themselves. 

Season 17 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

Events Team · Posted

Not really surprised Billy flaked/forgot to keep up his responsibility to the suit but his interaction with the judge is hardly as disrespectful Karl makes it out to be.  And I absolutely would have complimented the judge's bowtie as well.  It was nice. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I have, and it didn't, lol.

as a video game player i cant help but at least respect how good he is and the way he did it. talking trash and backing it up. 

of course i cant support how he has acted in regards to the recent DK score. like i said before he could have played legit and still been looked at in very high regard as one of the best, no matter the outcome. now he just looks lame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

as a video game player i cant help but at least respect how good he is and the way he did it. talking trash and backing it up. 

of course i cant support how he has acted in regards to the recent DK score. like i said before he could have played legit and still been looked at in very high regard as one of the best, no matter the outcome. now he just looks lame.

If I'd seen them in the reverse order, seeing him first as a decent, albeit douchey guy, then the villain that he didn't need to ham up the way he did in King of Kong, sure.  But the other way around, it just cemented in my mind all the issues that King of Kong brought to light about him.  Sure, he was, and compared to a lot of people, still is a good, if not great player of a lot of classic arcade games.  But he just wasn't doing what was truly needed to stay at the absolute top of the game, and seemed to let that define and control him, which has basically caused his castle to crumble.  His stunt with hiding away a video of what he'd already done then surprising people with it later on is beyond unsportsmanlike, and basically a poison pill to the kind of competitive community around those types of games and records.  IIRC, it was revealed that he did the same sort of shit to the guy who was pursuing the perfect Pac-Man record after saying he wasn't interested in doing it, then hurriedly mailed the shit off to squeak in before that guy and rob him of the claim of being the first.

He started out as a big fish in a little pond, with a huge personality, and steadfastly maintained that persona and behavior later on in life, based on the videos available of him as well as various interviews, quotes, articles, etc., depicting how he's acted and reacted in most recent years.  He might have had the spark to be something truly special way back when, but he wasted it and ultimately let him corrupt and destroy what could have been, all the while doing his damnedest to keep the wool over everybody's eyes and hang onto high school glory for just a bit longer.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

If I'd seen them in the reverse order, seeing him first as a decent, albeit douchey guy, then the villain that he didn't need to ham up the way he did in King of Kong, sure.  But the other way around, it just cemented in my mind all the issues that King of Kong brought to light about him.  Sure, he was, and compared to a lot of people, still is a good, if not great player of a lot of classic arcade games.  But he just wasn't doing what was truly needed to stay at the absolute top of the game, and seemed to let that define and control him, which has basically caused his castle to crumble.  His stunt with hiding away a video of what he'd already done then surprising people with it later on is beyond unsportsmanlike, and basically a poison pill to the kind of competitive community around those types of games and records.  IIRC, it was revealed that he did the same sort of shit to the guy who was pursuing the perfect Pac-Man record after saying he wasn't interested in doing it, then hurriedly mailed the shit off to squeak in before that guy and rob him of the claim of being the first.

He started out as a big fish in a little pond, with a huge personality, and steadfastly maintained that persona and behavior later on in life, based on the videos available of him as well as various interviews, quotes, articles, etc., depicting how he's acted and reacted in most recent years.  He might have had the spark to be something truly special way back when, but he wasted it and ultimately let him corrupt and destroy what could have been, all the while doing his damnedest to keep the wool over everybody's eyes and hang onto high school glory for just a bit longer.

ya i cant defend the video tape shit. weebie was playing straight up so imo that makes his score the better one. and ill agree the way he coveted the high scores, so much that it drove him to do the things he did to try and keep them...."*coughs* Gollum".

yes a big fish in a little pond but at the same time one of the biggest fish in any pond. he didnt have to be so greasy. just play. if you end up 3rd, hell even top ten best in the world all time....thats incredable 😉 and his charechter is love or hate. that and his o.g. status would always have him talked about, even more so than higher ranked players, in the end.

edit: its interesting to me that i also watched them "king of kong" first and thought billy was a total d-bag. then watched "chasing ghosts" and thought "damn the dude is a great video game player though" 🙂 

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

@darkchylde28 ive probably seen "chasing ghosts" 5 times. it draws me in every time. i like todd walker and the tripped out dude that played space invaders. still ben gold seems to be my favorite of them all. 

the berzerk guy had a bit of an issue with his score getting bested too.

what about "mr. awesome" lol c'mon you gotta like that guys antics and delusional view of himself. but he wasnt lying when he said "most of these video game guys couldnt get laid in a whore house with a hand full of $100 bills" rotfl!

and todd rogers, the way they cast that guy i feel sorry for the dude. just like billy some of them cant let it go. "glory days".

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
On 10/28/2020 at 8:41 PM, Jeevan said:

I'm undecided on billy Mitchell as a whole.  they king of Kong portrayed him as a bad guy, I think twin galaxies is kind of a joke honestly.  not really sure.  I think he goes for the badass persona, which is fine, but I just don't know. 

Who wouldn't love someone that has a badass persona?

Spoiler

ed61837a6927b63d22d322385808eaab.gif

Edited by FireHazard51

11 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

i cant say he cheated for sure though.

There's a ton of evidence pointing to the fact that at least one score tape was performed on MAME and not a legit cab.  There is a separate category for MAME of course, but a lot of the super old timers look down on the entire category.  Even if he achieved the score without any in-game cheats, he still attempted (and for a while succeded) to deceive TG by claiming a legit MAME score as an arcade cab score.  That'd be like trying to pass off a Genesis score as a SNES one, or an Xbox score as a PS2 one.  Because of subtle differences between the platforms (not to mention significant differences in input devices), it simply isn't fair to lump them in with each other (hence why MAME is a separate category).

But yeah, Billy 100% cheated on at least one score, and likely multiples.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1