IGNORED

Billy Mitchell Is Going to Trial

JamesRobot

Billy Mitchell's Kong Score  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Did Billy Mitchell Cheat?

• Yep! He's a filthy cheat and a liar.
    • Hell no! Reinstate the score!

It's been years since I read into anything to do with him so I could be way off base, but wasn't he the one that had a good number of scores that were absolutely unattainable even with tool assisted runs? If so, not sure I would even care to hear his side of the story. Cheaters in gaming are basically on the same level as counterfeiters in collecting imo

6 minutes ago, dr.robbie said:

It's been years since I read into anything to do with him so I could be way off base, but wasn't he the one that had a good number of scores that were absolutely unattainable even with tool assisted runs? If so, not sure I would even care to hear his side of the story. Cheaters in gaming are basically on the same level as counterfeiters in collecting imo

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Atari Drag Race guy?  That game (or whatever its name was) had a high score for awhile that was definitively proven to be impossible.

That said - I haven't kept up with any of Billy Mitchel's scores other than his DK (that was beaten by a 3rd newcomer, post-king-of-kong) and PacMan (where he had one of the earlier perfect-runs).

Edited by arch_8ngel

11 minutes ago, dr.robbie said:

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Atari Drag Race guy?  That game (or whatever its name was) had a high score for awhile that was definitively proven to be impossible.

That was indeed the Dragster guy.  Todd Rogers.

EDIT: And he's also fighting a losing battle for defamation against TG for removing his patently obvious fake records, and against Guinness for the same thing.

EDIT 2: Fixed the game title.  I knew something was off.  Thanks @captmorgandrinker

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

Todd Rogers and Billy Mitchell's stories are pretty different. 

I think it's pretty well accepted that some (if not most) of Billy Mitchell's scores were real, but towards the end he did some shady stuff and possibly cheated on a few of his records, which brings into question ALL of his records.

Todd Rogers story is pretty different in that most of his records have been proven impossible, plus he was in a position to add his own records to some of the record books.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Todd Rogers and Billy Mitchell's stories are pretty different. 

I think it's pretty well accepted that some (if not most) of Billy Mitchell's scores were real, but towards the end he did some shady stuff and possibly cheated on a few of his records, which brings into question ALL of his records.

Yeah, they were definitely different situations, since Billy had a number of major achievements that he performed live.

But he still deserves to have any records stripped.

• Like 1

i think that's really the thing that sucks the most.

Mitchell is a great player at old school arcade games, and the records he set are damned impressive.  but that wasn't enough for him, so he resorted to intentionally misleading (and outright lying) so even the stuff he did legitimately is tainted. 

21 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

hell even top ten best in the world all time....thats incredable 😉 and his charechter is love or hate. that and his o.g. status would always have him talked about, even more so than higher ranked players, in the end.

edit: its interesting to me that i also watched them "king of kong" first and thought billy was a total d-bag. then watched "chasing ghosts" and thought "damn the dude is a great video game player though" 🙂 

Yeah, if he was just in the scene and competing properly he could probably get more attention as one in a stable of players… like pro wrestling. 

He’s obviously a skilled player, but knowing that doesn’t make put his shenanigans in any different light for me. And I was reading about Twin Galaxies in the early 00s. 

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Good, Billy Mitchell is a Prick. Couldnt happen  to anyone better. 

Never seen someone so power and fame hungry lol

Fame hungry is probably why Billy is pushing for trial, even if he loses he still gets to hang in the spotlight

Edited by a3quit4s

Billy is an incredibly skilled player. That's undeniable. He also has a large ego which is probably what compels him to pursue this seemingly losing legal cause. His villain persona is mostly an act (the comparisons to pro-wrestling seem apt). Most people who've met him at conventions speak about it being a very positive experience. He was very friendly and personable to me. with regards to his gaming bonafides, I've seen him break a million on DK on live twitch streams. Did he break the twin galaxies rules of not playing on the 100% original hardware? probably. I don't really care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

What’s wrong with that guy‘s hair?  

I haven’t even sort of followed any of this and don’t understand why these people are allowed to tie up the court system for a donkey Kong score.  I’m hoping the prosecution is seeking the death penalty for all involved 💀 

I disagree... I think all court cases should be video game related. I would watch the tv show of that: Video Game Court.

I kind of feel bad for this guy. No, if he loses this court case, gets counter-sued and loses, it 100% sounds like he deserves it.

What I feel bad for him about is apparently he feels that in order to remain relevant to the world in any way, he has to have a Donkey Kong high score and sue a site about it.

I'm serious, that's just sad.  Bro should find a life outside the arcade.

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Only if it's Night Court, and Bull is the bailiff.

I can’t believe they remade that show! Lol I still catch the original, it reruns on one of the channels in get through the antenna. It’s so surreal to me watching those old sitcoms….it’s like you can tell it’s a set, almost like I’m sitting just outside the camera shot watching on set. It’s weird.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Wait they remade Night Court?  Ugh... I only use antenna tv and streaming for a few years now.  You might be thinking of LAFF TV which is just comedy shows and movies at times.  Or perhaps it's on MeTV possibly?  They run old stuff going back decades.

Lol ya they remade it I saw the commercials for it.

Ya I get Laff tv and metv and it is on one of those two I would guess. 
I love living without cable tv. Like you it’s the antenna and we have dsl internet.

metv gets regular play in our house. They have Saturday morning cartoons. Flintstones and jetsons.