IGNORED

VGS turns 1

fox

Homebrew Team · Posted

🥳🎉

Made it and still going strong!  Wouldn't be here without all the leg work to get up and running (and continued work to do so), but also everyone that uses and promotes the site daily.  Excited to see where all the community projects go.  Thank you everyone! 

• Like 6

Thanks everyone for making this a great place to hang out. From my experience when a website dies and people try to recreate the community somewhere else, those efforts generally fail fairly shortly after creation.  So I am really excited to see the 1st VGS birthday and things going strong.  Here's to many more!  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

I think I released my midlife crisis when I was building a DOS rig and opening boxes of floppy disks, thinking what the hell am I doing?

Some time in my mid-20s, I came to the conclusion that the often mid-life crisis concept was a bunch of bologna.

We are kids and we dream of doing fun things.  Fun things that often require money.  We get an education, we work hard, and for what?  To fulfill those childhood dreams!

IMHO, buying a sports car, a beach house or in our case, playing and collecting games isn't a "mid-life crisis".  It's fulfilling our childhood dreams and there's nothing wrong with that.

But to be clear, when someone goes off the rails and engages in abusive behavior because of the stress of aging, that's different.  My point is, just because we are in our late-30s/early-40s and deciding to make our childhood dreams come true, there's nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The site already feels like it has been around for years which is a great thing. Hopefully there are a lot more birthdays in the future! 

I actually agree.  I had to pause for a moment when I saw this thread.  It feels like we've been here at least 2 years.  I recalled that this site started up in October, so I get that this is the anniversary, but that feels like 2-3 years ago.  I blame COVID.  This year has been a time vortex and no form of time progression feels normal.

EDIT

I added the italic changes above.  I got called out.  There really is such a thing as a mid-life crisis.  However, I also feel that 95% of what we call mid-life crisis behavior isn't, really.  We're just getting old and having fun.

Edited by RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

IMHO, buying a sports car, a beach house or in our case, playing and collecting games isn't a "mid-life crisis".  It's fulfilling our childhood dreams and there's nothing wrong with that.

Nah, the real point is when you realise you'll never have enough free time to play a fraction of the games you collect 😄

• Haha 2

Events Helper · Posted

It's been great so far lads and lasses!  Hope to make it another year and keep the growth going!  Lots of pals met this last year.  Many more friendships to be made!  Thank you @Gloves and staff who got this going, I was disappointed when NA was shutting down, but so glad the community moved here.  Could not be much happier with how it's gone thus far and hope we continue this path!

• Like 4