IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Anybody who thinks the pandemic is going to be handled any better under Biden is kidding themselves. 

No matter who wins, the other side is going to freak after the election. There will be a lot of problems, and then another four years very similar to the past four years with very little actually being accomplished. If Biden wins, he will definitely be a one term president, and I could honestly see Trump coming back and winning in 2024 because the Democrats will never nominate a competent candidate.

Two things I really don’t understand is

1. That Republicans (politicians and citizens) have had their dream government for the last four years, and yet when every aspect of the nation still turns out to be a dumpster fire, they’re like “Oh it’s still those pesky Democrats!” When in reality the Dems haven’t been able to get anything done because their entire dumbass plan the last four years has been:

Ds: hey you can’t do that

Rs: we don’t fucking care, who’s gonna stop us

Ds: aw rats

2. People are so sure we’re gonna see violent leftist mobs if Biden loses, but I only see one side out there right now intimidating the opposition and acting like the taliban. Look, my dad’s only hobby is collecting and shooting guns much like we do with video games. His entire friend circle is gunbros. I know them all very well, I shoot with my dad often, am around his crowd often, and still know many Republicans from back when I was one myself. I can tell you there’s a large enough group of Republicans out here whose post-election plans do not include “graciously accepting defeat.” Enough for it to be frightening.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

Anybody who thinks the pandemic is going to be handled any better under Biden is kidding themselves. 

No matter who wins, the other side is going to freak after the election. There will be a lot of problems, and then another four years very similar to the past four years with very little actually being accomplished. If Biden wins, he will definitely be a one term president, and I could honestly see Trump coming back and winning in 2024 because the Democrats will never nominate a competent candidate.

I really and truly think you are discounting the importance of having a president that isn't going to be continually injecting volatility into the world via Twitter.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

2. People are so sure we’re gonna see violent leftist mobs if Biden loses, but I only see one side out there right now intimidating the opposition and acting like the taliban. Look, my dad’s only hobby is collecting and shooting guns much like we do with video games. His entire friend circle is gunbros. I know them all very well, I shoot with my dad often, am around his crowd often, and still know many Republicans from back when I was one myself. I can tell you there’s a large enough group of Republicans out here whose post-election plans do not include “graciously accepting defeat.” Enough for it to be frightening.

Their trial-run in Texas as wannabe Road Warriors did not inspire confidence.

49 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Two things I really don’t understand is

1. That Republicans (politicians and citizens) have had their dream government for the last four years, and yet when every aspect of the nation still turns out to be a dumpster fire, they’re like “Oh it’s still those pesky Democrats!” When in reality the Dems haven’t been able to get anything done because their entire dumbass plan the last four years has been:

Ds: hey you can’t do that

Rs: we don’t fucking care, who’s gonna stop us

Ds: aw rats

1. Prior to COVID, what aspects of our nation were a dumpster fire in your opinion?

2. Pretty easy to draw a line between the last 6 months of rioting/looting and a Biden loss fueling it. Also, does your Dad and his buddies plan to go on a shooting spree (like a proper Republican "gunbro" would) if Trump loses? You may want to tell the Police about that if so. 

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I voted! Mostly Republicans at the state level, exclusively democrats at the national level. Call me a RINO, IDGAF.😀

I voted Dems at the state level and Romney and Johnson at the last two presidential.  Call me what you will 😅

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:
1 hour ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

Expand  

I really and truly think you are discounting the importance of having a president that isn't going to be continually injecting volatility into the world via Twitter.

While I agree that Trump should just stay off of social media in general, aren't you concerned about Biden popping in to mumble whatever generic, feel-good talking points are the flavor of the month but implementing something that doesn't align, or not implement anything at all? 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

1. Prior to COVID, what aspects of our nation were a dumpster fire in your opinion?

A Trump re-election was a mortal lock before 2020.  

Though I would say that the political divide (and the billion trickle-down problems it is creating), fueled by his rhetoric, was already a growing dumpster fire even back in 2019, but it is truly off the rails now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

While I agree that Trump should just stay off of social media in general, aren't you concerned about Biden popping in to mumble whatever generic, feel-good talking points are the flavor of the month but implementing something that doesn't align, or not implement anything at all? 

Not really. Biden is an old-school long-time senator with a healthy respect for the norms of the office and how government is "supposed to" function.

Having a person that predictably follows the rules in that level of responsibility is incredibly important, versus a total wildcard.

EDIT: the other benefit of Biden is that he is unlikely to make a run for re-election, so his first term isn't going to be reduced to a never-ending re-election campaign like Trump's was.  Because even if Trump was re-elected, I have a feeling he'd spend the next 4 years STILL campaigning because he doesn't know how to do anything else at this point.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

2. Pretty easy to draw a line between the last 6 months of rioting/looting and a Biden loss fueling it. Also, does your Dad and his buddies plan to go on a shooting spree (like a proper Republican "gunbro" would) if Trump loses? You may want to tell the Police about that if so. 

1. In my personal experience: I was a USDA scientist (before the USDA was soft-dismantled at Trump’s order and I lost my job as a result) so I worked with farmers firsthand and saw what they’ve been going through. Trump’s “hardball” with China was not helping them like the conservative media has you believe. Many were suffering financially (and are even worse now), and I’ve seen more than one family farm on the brink of collapse. I don’t need to tell you about the backbone these farmers provide to our society, but the supply chain is one very important thing to not fuck up.

It’s hard for the privileged amongst us (myself included in that) to notice what the repercussions of the type of social divide his rhetoric brings, unless it’s filmed and broadcast to us like it was this last summer. But my POC friends (and yours) have felt it grow under this administration. I’ve seen it firsthand.

As I said either here or in another similar thread: when the entire nation is in hurting financially after missing just one paycheck, that’s indicative of a bad economy. A good economy serves the average citizen, it doesn’t just post good looking numbers and serve the elite (who still haven’t allowed any of it to trickle down). You can argue that this was true in the Obama administration as well, and I agree, but our country is and has always been a right leaning country with right wing workings. Our Democrats are conservatives in other well off nations. Of course our system is fucked. My point in all of this is that the “great and improved economy” is a gilded lie. We’re as fucked as we’ve ever been. My proud Republican parents are hurting financially like they’ve never hurt before. They scrambled to try and explain why it’s a good thing that they owe thousands on their taxes now while the companies they work for get a break. But like the farmers I mentioned above, they acknowledge their suffering but they’re certain Trump will fix it. Any day now...

2. As of now? They’re playing the ol’ “I was just pretending to be a lunatic” move. Like when a politician says something racist or incendiary. But if they actually do? You’re goddamn right I’ll try to tell the police. Unfortunately, if what happened in Texas and in the video I posted above are any indication, it seems like the police are on the side of the domestic terrorists. We shall see.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Because even if Trump was re-elected, I have a feeling he'd spend the next 4 years STILL campaigning because he doesn't know how to do anything else at this point.

He’s tested the waters by saying nonchalantly that he deserves a third term, that the American people want him to have a third term, a few times now. Republicans are either complicit or too scared to stop it from happening. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

He’s tested the waters by saying nonchalantly that he deserves a third term, that the American people want him to have a third term, a few times now. Republicans are either complicit or too scared to stop it from happening. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Fortunately they have no functional ability to change the 22nd amendment, so I'm not worried about that possibility.

• Like 2

When we were made aware that the Chinese government dictatorship had been hiding/lying what was happening, I decided I no longer plan to buy anything Chinese, whether that be made there or even just a seller who lives in the country (I bought some Hong Kong things.. screw you China). I am seriously considering no longer purchasing anything American should the country vote Trump. As a video game purchaser/player; Canadian pricing tends to be shit, so am counting on you guys to do the right thing.

4 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Short answer, no. The long answer involves that being a right wing media story thats almost as silly as tucker carlson losing the only piece of proof about the hunter biden conspiracy by having it sent standard snail mail

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

Didnt you hear? Theres a big red button at the white house that says PRESS TO STOP COVID and Trump's just not pressing it and the second Biden gets there he's gna press it. 

Or COVID is a novel virus that doesn't give a shit about any restrictions short of a dictatorship style lockdown.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Didnt you hear? Theres a big red button at the white house that says PRESS TO STOP COVID and Trump's just not pressing it and the second Biden gets there he's gna press it. 

Or COVID is a novel virus that doesn't give a shit about any restrictions short of a dictatorship style lockdown.

This is actually a very fair point regarding the difficult nature of it in a free society. The difference is biden wouldnt be telling Woodward how serious it is before going on tv and calling it a hoax. 

He would also tell you wearing a mask is about as inconvenient as wearing seatbelts in cars and on planes or wearing long pants to court. So stop being such bitches about it. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Eh, I wish I could say I was surprised. I usually just assume the worst with this stuff by this point since 2016.

But really think about that. The U.S. has maybe had the worst response to covid in the world. The response was directly the result of an incompetent president. People are dying in these cities. 

How will we ever get anything done in this country if a conservative  can't be convinced someone who's decision's have directly resulted in the deaths of tens of thousand of people shouldn't be in office. What chance does that give us to get a conservative to vote for less important reasons?  I mean how ever the republican party gets messages out to their people is scary. I mean they know how to convince them of anything at this point.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Californication said:

But really think about that. The U.S. has maybe had the worst response to covid in the world. The response was directly the result of an incompetent president. People are dying in these cities. 

How will we ever get anything done in this country if a conservative  can't be convinced someone who's decision's have directly resulted in the deaths of tens of thousand of people shouldn't be in office. What chance does that give us to get a conservative to vote for less important reasons?  I mean how ever the republican party gets messages out to their people is scary. I mean they know how to convince them of anything at this point.

Oh yeah, trust me, I've thought about it.

All I can say is that I grow more and more disgusted by this country as every day goes by, which is really kind of a sickening feeling when you feel that way about the country you were born and raised in.

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Oh yeah, trust me, I've thought about it.

All I can say is that I grow more and more disgusted by this country as every day goes by, which is really kind of a sickening feeling when you feel that way about the country you were born and raised in.

Might be time to find a new place to live. If you have the right skills, most Western countries should be open.

If you don’t have a family you can also use the education route. Study a degree and progress to employment. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Shmup said:

If you have the right skills

Weeeeell, therein lies the problem, haha. I have legitimately been considering the possibility of immigrating to another country at some point in my life, but it would take a lot of hard work and dedication towards that one goal, and I'd obviously want to make sure that's the right decision for me before committing years of my life towards that singular overarching goal. My family going back generations has pretty much exclusively lived in Texas, so it would definitely be very unusual for one member of this bloodline to suddenly go to a completely different country altogether.

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Weeeeell, therein lies the problem, haha. I have legitimately been considering the possibility of immigrating to another country at some point in my life, but it would take a lot of hard work and dedication towards that one goal, and I'd obviously want to make sure that's the right decision for me before committing years of my life towards that singular overarching goal. My family going back generations has pretty much exclusively lived in Texas, so it would definitely be very unusual for one member of this bloodline to suddenly go to a completely different country altogether.

You should do it. You get one life on this planet, as far as we know, so there’s no point living on regrets. 

My wife left her family in South America because she was frustrated with everything. She said it’s the hardest thing she has ever done but never regrets it.

The easiest would probably be Canada for you. But Australia & NZ are not too bad if you study what’s on the list for required skills.

With technology it is much easier to stay in touch with family too.

The world is big and there’s just so much out there past the borders of the US 🙂

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Shmup said:

You should do it. You get one life on this planet, as far as we know, so there’s no point living on regrets. 

My wife left her family in South America because she was frustrated with everything. She said it’s the hardest thing she has ever done but never regrets it.

The easiest would probably be Canada for you. But Australia & NZ are not too bad if you study what’s on the list for required skills.

With technology it is much easier to stay in touch with family too.

The world is big and there’s just so much out there past the borders of the US 🙂

Yeah, we'll see what happens. I haven't even lived for 20 years on this planet, so I've still (Well, fingers crossed) got plenty of time to make a big decision like that. I will admit that Canada is looking mighty appealing to me for a variety of reasons. Like I said, just wouldn't want to jump head first in to a big decision like that, since I've only recently truly entertained the idea beyond just a passing thought. Plus I've got other priorities at this very moment anyway, namely trying to fix up my mental health, which is priority number 1 at the moment.

• Like 1