IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

35 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/donald-trump-election-2020-democrats-postal-service/index.html

I've been curious on the board's thoughts considering a large portion of our hobby is using the USPS.

It's getting annoying. Me and @Applekid lost a package.

• Sad 1

So I had this conversation my my wife recently. 

"That lotion you bought was really good, where did you find it?"

Me: "It was in the black people section of Wal-Mart."

Is it an offensive thing to say? What if my wife was black(she is) and we casually discuss race all the time, this is just normal conversation.

Administrator · Posted
36 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

So I had this conversation my my wife recently. 

"That lotion you bought was really good, where did you find it?"

Me: "It was in the black people section of Wal-Mart."

Is it an offensive thing to say? What if my wife was black(she is) and we casually discuss race all the time, this is just normal conversation.

Context is almost always everything. 

We're you joking? 

What section did you actually mean? 

Is there, in fact, a black person section?

Different skin tones and types exist and flat out ignoring that they do does more harm than good. For instance, men's skin is typically physically thicker, and we sweat more; thus, men's soap might need to be more abrasive, and so a "men's section" for shower supplies makes perfect sense. Separate by needs. Acknowledging the existence of and differences between different races is not inherently racist. 

I agree with Gloves that the context and even the tone is key there.

There are different sections for hair products that are designed for people whose hair physically act differently than white peoples’. Totally fine to point out that you got a product that was specifically in the section designated for that purpose.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Context is almost always everything. 

We're you joking? 

What section did you actually mean? 

Is there, in fact, a black person section?

Different skin tones and types exist and flat out ignoring that they do does more harm than good. For instance, men's skin is typically physically thicker, and we sweat more; thus, men's soap might need to be more abrasive, and so a "men's section" for shower supplies makes perfect sense. Separate by needs. Acknowledging the existence of and differences between different races is not inherently racist. 

Nope, I earnestly used "black people section" as a point of reference. Not as a joke.

The section in Wal-Mart is unmarked as a black person or ethnic section in the cosmetics area, but it is a set of shelves with products exclusively designed for black/dark skin or hair. Perms, wig cream, soaps and lotions for ashy skin, that kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I don’t see anything wrong with it. 

Someone who doesn’t know you / who you were talking to might consider it unduly flippant for a white person to phrase it that way.

I would not have a problem saying that to black friends or coworkers. 

Trump 'cancels' Goodyear tires as he campaigns against 'cancel culture'

Goodyear tires says "Don't wear maga hats" (a good practice for a business who wants money from both sides of the political spectrum)

Trump says on Twitter - Don't buy Goodyear tires.

Trump literally attacking the economy he's tasked with trying to fix/maintain. Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Two people are dead and a third injured in an overnight shooting in Kenosha, police say

When the police embolden "militia" wannabes and tell them "I appreciate what you guys do", that's when you know the system is fucked. And then someone dies. Fucking disgusting.

I watched the videos on IG, and it seems to be self-defense. 

One of the shooters was on the ground, being attacked by multiple people when he started shooting, at least one of the attackers who was shot had a gun. 

The other shooter was running away from a crowd when someone threw a molotov at him as he was chasing, he was then shot.

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

I watched the videos on IG, and it seems to be self-defense. 

One of the shooters was on the ground, being attacked by multiple people when he started shooting, at least one of the attackers who was shot had a gun. 

The other shooter was running away from a crowd when someone threw a molotov at him as he was chasing, he was then shot.

lol

What luck he had his assault rifle with him at the peaceful protest to defend himself.

Get real.

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

lol

What luck he had his assault rifle with him at the peaceful protest to defend himself.

Get real.

Weren't they claiming to be armed in order to defend businesses in the area?  People aren't only peacefully protesting,  things are getting burned to the ground.  I'm sure there is more to the story.  

9 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

lol

Get real.

"Peaceful protest" - that's delusional

Kenosha is getting demolished right now, and I just explained what the video shows, which wasn't a peaceful protest by any stretch. I'll rely on the video rather than the CNN article you shared. 

12 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Weren't they claiming to be armed in order to defend businesses in the area?

If you think Billy Bootlicker wasn't excited to break out his assault rifle in public and mow some "lefties" down then idk what to tell you.

12 minutes ago, B.A. said:

People aren't only peacefully protesting,  things are getting burned to the ground. 

Destroying property? My bad, throw out the justice system and execute them in the street! 

9 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

the CNN article you shared. 

Sorry, forgot CNN was fake news. Carry on.

4 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

If you think Billy Bootlicker wasn't excited to break out his assault rifle in public and mow some "lefties" down then idk what to tell you.

Destroying property? My bad, throw out the justice system and execute them in the street! 

I didn't say any of that, I said there is probably more to it then some militant showing up to a candle light vigil.  As per usual the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

5 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
19 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Weren't they claiming to be armed in order to defend businesses in the area?

"Billy Bootlicker" was acting in self defense, not "mowing some lefties down". Not sure why you're not processing information correctly.  

19 minutes ago, B.A. said:

People aren't only peacefully protesting,  things are getting burned to the ground. 

Big difference between executing innocent people in the street and defending yourself from violent attackers. 

15 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

the CNN article you shared. 

Sorry, forgot CNN was fake news. Carry on.

A video is far more trustworthy than whatever CNN, or any other MSM network feels like writing. 

42 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

"Billy Bootlicker" was acting in self defense, not "mowing some lefties down". Not sure why you're not processing information correctly.  

Do people acting in self defense usually get charged with first degree murder?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/kenosha-wisconsin-wednesday-shooting/index.html

"Antioch Police said Wisconsin authorities issued an arrest warrant charging the teenager with first-degree intentional homicide."

Eh, probably just more CNN fake news I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Kid was from Illinois, so he crossed state lines to defend property that wasn't even his home turf. So you can rule out his sense of home town pride there... yea.... pretty clear he just wanted an excuse to shoot someone. Poor mixed up kid.

Edited by CodysGameRoom

12 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Do people acting in self defense usually get charged with first degree murder?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/kenosha-wisconsin-wednesday-shooting/index.html

"Antioch Police said Wisconsin authorities issued an arrest warrant charging the teenager with first-degree intentional homicide."

Eh, probably just more CNN fake news I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Kid was from Illinois, so he crossed state lines to defend property that wasn't even his home turf. So you can rule out his sense of home town pride there... yea.... pretty clear he just wanted an excuse to shoot someone. Poor mixed up kid.

At first, sure. Many cases start with a charge that becomes fluid throughout the investigation. 

They're still investigating, so he hasn't been convicted of first degree murder, they issued the warrant to bring him into custody. We'll see if the charges stick, change or get dropped as the investigation continues. Going by the videos, he was being attacked when he fired shots.

If he just wanted an excuse to harm/kill someone, then the people who attacked him, and the person who threw a molotov at him, also just wanted an excuse to harm/kill someone. They're all "mixed up" people.