IGNORED

Game Debate #1: Goldeneye

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

33 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

But sub-question - I've never been able to clarify if the Wii game is an actual remake of the single player from the original game, or if it was just like one level remade, or what?

The Wii version is like a COD game with cut scenes, scripted events, regen health, and QTEs. The story isn't even the same. I'm sure it's fine if you want to play one of those on Wii, it's just nothing like Goldeneye 007.

Phenomenal game. To this day, on the rare occasion I have people over, we still bust out some multiplayer goldeneye.  I was always a fan of proximity mines in the facility.  I love the chaos of people randomly getting blown up left and right.  The single player is more meh for me which kept it from a 10/10.  

• Like 1

Yeah, for me Goldeneye has ALWAYS been about the single player. Multiplayer was great, don't get me wrong, but I spent probably HUNDREDS of hours as a kid sneaking round the levels, making up my own little missions to do, creeping around following guards to see their entire route, fucking around with the cheats, just going on an all out rampage with invincibility and infinite ammo and just tearing the enemies and environmental objects to shreds...

The amount of fun you could have in that game, even without following the actual missions if you didn't want to, exploring the levels like they were real places, watching guards swatting flies or scratching their arse, then planting a remote mine under their ass and watching them fly through the air!

Nowerdays, I often replay the game, and it remains a fun challenge on the 00 agent setting and unlocking some of the cheats is up there with top gaming challenges. I wouldn't say it's my favourite game of all time, but if I only had one, this MIGHT be it.

And yeah, if you can't handle playing with C buttons and a stick, go cry some more, lol! 😉

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nesmaster said:

10 in 97. More like a 4/10 experience by today's standards.

My fave game of all time and unstoppable. But I pretty much agree with this. Maybe not a 4 today but closer to 6, just the genre has come too far in terms of controls, AI, options, graphics, etc. Its was and is a great game but nothing I'd want to play other than for a nostalgia kick.

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

My fave game of all time and unstoppable. But I pretty much agree with this. Maybe not a 4 today but closer to 6, just the genre has come too far in terms of controls, AI, options, graphics, etc. Its was and is a great game but nothing I'd want to play other than for a nostalgia kick.

The thing is, I'd have been all over that XBLA port that never was simply for modern controls, a visual bump and 60 FPS. The N64 one is just not good any more by today's standards. The World is Not Enough is more fun today.

I agree with more like a 6 though, but I'm echoing how 4/10 is written here as "Meh".

Awesome game.  This game was so far ahead of it's time that it has a widescreen option and twin stick mode.  Anyone who complains about the controls obviously doesn't know this game well enough to know that you can play this game with two analog sticks (one controller in each hand); and there are multiple options for how you can set up the two stick mode.  Brilliant game that took pretty much everything to another level at the time and is still a blast to play today.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Killer.  Everyone should play it in the context of 1997.  Nothing quite like 4 player split screen death matches on a 19" tube tv in a smoke filled apartment pounding beers with your best buds.  Best game on the 64 hands down.  Proximity mines ftw!

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 2

It was a 9 when it was new and it's a 9 today.  

I feel bad for younger people who only know modern FPS controls.  I can understand why they would have a hard time controlling the game, but that doesn't make it a bad game or take anything away from what the game is.  I see no reason to rate it any lower now than when it was new.  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Fuck proximity mines you cheating prick! 😛

My friend would only want to play Proxy on Complex because he memorized all the spawn locations

I'd grab the mines and then lay em down right where I picked em up.  Ain't nobody grabbing my proximity mines!

4 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I'd grab the mines and then lay em down right where I picked em up.  Ain't nobody grabbing my proximity mines!

I was a big fan of Remote Mines.  I love picking up the body armor, putting a mine in its place and when someone goes for the armor... heheheh.  Or just flat out destroying the body armor.

• Like 1

Yeah probably unpopular, but I put a 7, no reason to hide it.

I do really like the game, but even back in the day I felt if you could pull the Bond license off it and look at it for what it it was, it wasn't as flawless and so amazing as it was made out to.  The license really pushed it into that 9-10 center of respect.  I feel it's a good 7 7.5 level game, there are flaws, it's not all that smooth, rough edges I guess perhaps.  I think it was kind of a learning game for them anyway as Perfect Dark eclipsed it in every way.