IGNORED

Game Debate #1: Goldeneye

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

8/10

I don't like playing it as much now (even back in high school when I'd play N64 with friends it wasn't my first choice)

Perfect Dark was a better game in every way, 10/10 top ten favorite games

However there wouldnt be PD without GoldenEye. There probably wouldn't be console FPS games without it. So it gets bonus points from me. If nothing else it earns its accolades for what it brought to the table.

Definitely a few tricky cheats to get back in the day.

Caverns was tough with it being a long level, tough guards, not destroying the radio/scientists, then the mini guns at the end in the tunnels. I think it may have been the last one I did. 

Train was tough as well because the time is somewhat tight with the little scene and laser watch. Then if u didn't kinda wait outside the train for a sec the boxes would blow up and kill Natalia 99% of the time. I 'member being pumped getting that one. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, RH said:

Yeah, I'm sorry but those that hate on the game because you lost your edge with an N64 controller need to take a step back and a deep breath. If you feel the graphics and gameplay "haven't aged well", then make that argument but the controls were perfect for what is now panned as a bad control design but debating the N64 controller can be left for a different discussion.

This was the first multiplayer blockbuster FPS. Not only did they make a great game with the limitations of the N64, they crafted what became the gold standard of multiplayer FPS design for years to come.

It is unfortunate that to really appreciate GoldenEye, you have to re-learn how to play an N64 FPS game since the controls are so different from today's FPS games. If you want to appreciate GoldenEye, you have to learn how to use the controls and then evaluate the game. At the time of it's release, none of us had muscle-memory from using two analog sticks so it was a revolutionary experience but also easy enough to pick up and learn to play. Don't fault the past for future design improvements when they weren't possible 25 years ago.

11/10, if it were possible.

This comment opened my eyes to how I currently feel trying to play Goldeneye. I need to teach myself again. Back in the day, it was my most played game on N64. It’s a 10/10 for me.

Well, now that the debating is over, I'm just going to put this hear.  I assume 75% of you are aware of this, but for the 25% of you that haven't, this is for you.  If one of us has a ruined cover art experience, we all have a ruined cover art experience.

voZtIrC-bMeUdNnmvn10h5fWhErSOy7rmL4hySiR

• Haha 1

Well we're breaking off in tangent territory but very often, Japan and some times even Europe has had way better box art. I've been following a cherry, CIB Shadows of the Empire from Japan. I loved that game and the packaging for that one just looks way better than what we got in the states. And then there's the PAL Ocarina of Time. I really like the dark tone of the packaging. That's way better than what we got.

9 hours ago, RH said:

Well we're breaking off in tangent territory but very often, Japan and some times even Europe has had way better box art. I've been following a cherry, CIB Shadows of the Empire from Japan. I loved that game and the packaging for that one just looks way better than what we got in the states. And then there's the PAL Ocarina of Time. I really like the dark tone of the packaging. That's way better than what we got.

Oh yeah, I 100% agree that Japan got the best boxart on N64.

Shadows of the Empire looks sweet, in fact I'd say all 3 Japanese Star Wars games look better than the western counterparts:

IMG20200622094451.thumb.jpg.ff60994111f5d32c01d3f7feec38117c.jpg

Personally though, I've never been a huge fan of the PAL OoT, it just completely lacks texture or context for me, just gold on black... A bit boring IMO.

I had a lot of fun walking through shops in Japan and looking at all the boxes.  All of it looks great.  We do have a Japanese Ocarina of Time and Yoshi Story. Both are a lot better than the US versions.  Also the plastic insert instead of cardboard is a plus.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oh yeah, I 100% agree that Japan got the best boxart on N64.

Shadows of the Empire looks sweet, in fact I'd say all 3 Japanese Star Wars games look better than the western counterparts:

IMG20200622094451.thumb.jpg.ff60994111f5d32c01d3f7feec38117c.jpg

Personally though, I've never been a huge fan of the PAL OoT, it just completely lacks texture or context for me, just gold on black... A bit boring IMO.

Well Rogue Squadron is definitely better in the US, and Pod Racer automatically loses for featuring Jake Lloyd

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Since no one else is even really trying, I'll indulge you.  NES game.  Or Wii game.  I haven't fully decided.  I'll give you one more guess either way.

Hmmm... Okay, gosh... Right I'm gonna try REALLY hard this time.

If it's a NES game then... Metroid. That's an interesting conversation right there!

If it's a Wii game then... Super Mario Galaxy! The first Mario debate!

Phew, that was tough! Not used to actually TRYING! 😅