IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

17 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I've fired them up on an everdrive before.  Would play for  a couple minutes and move on.

Oddly I like a lot of indie games now that seem to pull from the 8 and 16bit era.  If it gets to close (The Messenger) I stop liking it again. 

I will say I played Splatterhouse for Famicom and enjoyed myself.  That is the only other nes game I recall beating.

If you do indeed have an NES Everdrive you should keep exploring with one of those "all NES roms in one download" sort of packs.  I do like how with the Everdrives you can so easily explore that system's lineup.  Then again with all those different options it can be hard to know where to begin!!

1 hour ago, ookii_risu said:

I dislike FF7.

I did like FF7 (I played these around 2013-15 or so when I finally got around to doing RPGs)...but FF8 was waaaaay too unorthodox and confusing for me (though seemingly no one at the time of the game's release seemed to object or have any trouble adjusting to it!! 😛 ).

FF7 may get all the attention, but among the PS1 trilogy, I personally think FF9 is the best one by far.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I've fired them up on an everdrive before.  Would play for  a couple minutes and move on.

Oddly I like a lot of indie games now that seem to pull from the 8 and 16bit era.  If it gets to close (The Messenger) I stop liking it again. 

I will say I played Splatterhouse for Famicom and enjoyed myself.  That is the only other nes game I recall beating.

You try Vice Project Doom or nah? The game is just.. cool. I think that's the way to describe it. It's super cool.

While it is highly thought of in some quarters I have  never cared for Dragon Force (Sega Saturn) all the much,  The battles are pretty blah - you have large mobs that you have minimal control over - the battle depends more on what troops are fighting each other since the battle system is really a just a gussied up rock/paper/scissors deal rather than anything you do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People dis them all the time but I really like the oversized jewel cases for the Sega CD and Saturn (and a handful of the early PS1) games.   I have never had one break on me once it is my collection.  The manuals look great since they are a bit bigger than most other formats and you can see the covers  through the cases.  And a shelf (or more) of Sega CDs lined up with those matching blue spines is pretty impressive (damn that oddball Snatcher) looking.

Edited by Tabonga

Graphics Team · Posted

Here we go...

I love AtGames consoles.

The build quality and emulation may be sub-par, but the AtGames flashback systems are more or less what introduced me to classic gaming. They're perfect for people who just want to enjoy a solid selection of retro games without getting hung-up on how perfect the execution is. That's also why I love clone consoles from Yobo, Hyperkin, etc. - I've been using those systems for years and years to play my cart-collection, and while FPGA systems are great, there's nothing wrong with cheaper clone hardware that does the job just fine.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

If you do indeed have an NES Everdrive you should keep exploring with one of those "all NES roms in one download" sort of packs.  I do like how with the Everdrives you can so easily explore that system's lineup.  Then again with all those different options it can be hard to know where to begin!!

I've encountered quite a few of those packs and sampled a decent amount.  I'm much more of a 3d open world type of person. When I go 2d it is mostly metroidvania.  

One day I will jump into another couple titles. There are plenty of options on MISTer.

4 hours ago, Estil said:

To be fair Kirby's Adventure came out three years later

And LoZ came out three years earlier than SMB 3, and yet had a battery. The tech was there. I picked Kirby because it's a big game like SMB 3 that still has a battery.

Passwords are okay, but for games that require starting in specific spots/having certain items/having certain powerups, it gets long to account for all of that. Short passwords tend to be just level selects. SMB 3 would need a long password a la The Guardian Legend, or at least Metroid.

People get way too precious about SMB 3. Is it great? Of course. Is it the best NES game? Debatable, but sure. Is it flawless? Hellafuck no!

Edited by Tulpa

48 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

And LoZ came out three years earlier than SMB 3, and yet had a battery. The tech was there. I picked Kirby because it's a big game like SMB 3 that still has a battery.

Passwords are okay, but for games that require starting in specific spots/having certain items/having certain powerups, it gets long to account for all of that. Short passwords tend to be just level selects. SMB 3 would need a long password a la The Guardian Legend, or at least Metroid.

People get way too precious about SMB 3. Is it great? Of course. Is it the best NES game? Debatable, but sure. Is it flawless? Hellafuck no!

They probably couldn't do it cuz they fit so much stuff in the game that it needed extra ram.  That would be the same space that ram would be needed to save.  So it would need 2 ram chips more likely.  Or they'd have to create another board for it and raise the price of the game.  The MMC5 chip didn't come out till a year or so later.  They COULD have used that too but also, would have raised the price of the game significantly.

15 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

They probably couldn't do it cuz they fit so much stuff in the game that it needed extra ram.  That would be the same space that ram would be needed to save.  So it would need 2 ram chips more likely.  Or they'd have to create another board for it and raise the price of the game.  The MMC5 chip didn't come out till a year or so later.  They COULD have used that too but also, would have raised the price of the game significantly.

That's fair, but still doesn't explain why no frickin' password.

10 hours ago, Link said:

The Zelda games on Gameboy and DS platforms suck. (Except ALBW, that was good.)

Super Mario 3D games are trash.

Despite loving the Zelda series, for the most part I agree with you. As you say ALBW is by far the best of the bunch. However, Minish Cap isn't too far behind and I would recommend it if you haven't played it. I somehow missed MC until 5ish years ago, but playing through it then I quite enjoyed it. Link's Awakening was decent, but I don't put it nearly as high as other people do. The DS ones I think I remember being fine when they came out, but I played through part of Phantom Hourglass 5ish years ago and got bored and stopped playing. Despite being my first Zelda games, the oracles are probably my least favorite of the main series (my sister loves them though).

I can't agree with you about the 3D Super Mario games though.

Now for some opinions of my own:

1. I've never found shooters to be any fun. Whether it is a shoot 'em up, a FPS, or a third-person shooter, if it's multiplayer focused or a single-player campaign, anything from Doom, Call of Duty, Halo, Half-Life, to Ikaruga, I've not enjoyed any of these games. Even in games like Axiom Verge, the parts I enjoyed the least was the focus on the different types of guns. The one exception is there are a couple twin stick shooters that I have enjoyed.
  2. Super Mario Sunshine is just as good as the other 3D Mario games (if not better) and it's controls are fine when you get used to them. I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but I know several people who think SMS is complete trash. Although my great love for SMS probably has something to do with my nostalgia for it. But even playing it again sometime recently, I still enjoyed it greatly.
  3. Super Mario Land 1 is better than 2. Sure the controls in SML1 are a bit janky, but after getting used to them I grew to like them pretty well. SML2 is much worse due to its way more floaty controls. The music in both are good, but I like the music in SML1 more. Nothing can beat SML1's credit music.
  4. Most all GBA music is way worse than GB(C) music. I've not heard many people talk about this so I don't actually know if this is unpopular. Maybe it's because I like chiptuney music of the GB(C) a lot, but the GBA's switch to poorly compressed digital audio has always sounded bad.
  • Like 1

RollerGames and Bayou Billy on the NES are the best Konami beat em ups.

The original SMB is my favorite Mario game.

The original Contra is my favorite Contra game.

Super Punch-Out is at least as good as Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

I'm just not a fan of 3D collectathons. I always get bored of them far before finishing them.

I'm also sick of first person shooters and wouldn't mind never playing another one.

Not sure if this is controversial but NES Kung Fu is a legit great game with more depth than most people realize.

Nintendo Tetris is the best game on the NES.

NES Ninja Gaiden 3 is just as good as the first two.

The original Sonic hasn't aged all that well. The graphics are still great and the first zone is iconic but then the gameplay gets tedious, especially the underwater levels. For a game that's all about going fast, you usually can't go fast.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

That's fair, but still doesn't explain why no frickin' password.

I wonder if they didn't want the super long password because of all the items you can get and all the things it has to remember.  Its possible that they also didn't have the space on it, could be wrong.  I just took a look at all the NES games they released and it seems only MTPO had a password.  I never played Startropics but I think they both use batteries.  Its not THAT long IMO compared to, Blaster Master which REALLY needed a password system!  I think I read that they added the warps in SMB 1 not only as a bonus but so you can move thru the world quicker than playing the whole game.  Id say they took the same concept for SMB 3.  I know you dont like it but I bet that was their reasoning haha.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I wonder if they didn't want the super long password because of all the items you can get and all the things it has to remember.  Its possible that they also didn't have the space on it, could be wrong.  I just took a look at all the NES games they released and it seems only MTPO had a password.  I never played Startropics but I think they both use batteries.  Its not THAT long IMO compared to, Blaster Master which REALLY needed a password system!  I think I read that they added the warps in SMB 1 not only as a bonus but so you can move thru the world quicker than playing the whole game.  Id say they took the same concept for SMB 3.  I know you dont like it but I bet that was their reasoning haha.

I don't mind warps, but there should be an option for playing all the way through without your gluteus feeling like mincemeat.

Willow and The Guardian Legend had passwords in 1989 (longass passwords, especially for TGL, as it had to account for score, powerups, items, and position in the game), and Metroid (a Nintendo game) had one in 1987.

Yeah, both StarTropics had batteries.

Agreed with Blaster Master. Love the game and Sunsoft, but that's a glaring flaw.

Edited by Tulpa

I was talking purely about Nintendo developed games.  How could I forget about Metroid and Kid Icarus!  As with Legend of Zelda I think they were originally developed for the Famicom Disk System, so those games needed saves.  Makes sense for why Zelda has one but no idea why Metroid and Kid Icarus both don't have batteries but long passwords!

Considering the comments I see enough...

FF7 Remake on PS4 is trash and also a scam to collect far more coin out of willing suckers.  They've managed to take a game, pretty it up, add a lot of senseless fluff, and in doing so can squeeze fanboys over what 3 games at full price for ultimately the same conclusion?  Yeah, dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Considering the comments I see enough...

FF7 Remake on PS4 is trash and also a scam to collect far more coin out of willing suckers.  They've managed to take a game, pretty it up, add a lot of senseless fluff, and in doing so can squeeze fanboys over what 3 games at full price for ultimately the same conclusion?  Yeah, dumb.

A bit harsh!  My friend has loved the FF series and has played/beat them all countless times.  Ff7 is his fave and he's playing thru it and loving every bit of it so far.  So calling them 'willing suckers' is harsh.  Heck I might even get it eventually.  So uh, relax kid.

6 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:
  1. Most all GBA music is way worse than GB(C) music. I've not heard many people talk about this so I don't actually know if this is unpopular. Maybe it's because I like chiptuney music of the GB(C) a lot, but the GBA's switch to poorly compressed digital audio has always sounded bad.

GBA music sucks largely because of the AGS, supposedly. When Nintendo dropped the headphone jack, developers tried to make the audio sound good from the tiny speakers, as opposed to balancing the audio for headphones. GBA audio is notoriously horrible. I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. At least, it shouldn't be because the audio of the GBA sucked.