IGNORED

VGS Restoration Shop 🛠️

fsped09

59 minutes ago, fsped09 said:

I think they used tank paint for that logo. LOL. It didn't affect any of the paint on the Gameboy I did. 

I ask because I got alcohol on it and it came off red on the paper towel, quickly switched to soap/water in that area, looks fine now not smeared but nothing like scaring the crap outta ya self.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I ask because I got alcohol on it and it came off red on the paper towel, quickly switched to soap/water in that area, looks fine now not smeared but nothing like scaring the crap outta ya self.

Ah ok, when you Retrobrite, there isn't any rubbing/scrubbing. For the cream you apply a layer of it, wrap it in clear plastic wrap and let it sit in the sun (or under UV lights). For the clear, you just mix the solution with water, submerge the plastic, put it in the sun. Ironically the sun is the what makes the plastic yellow, the hydrogen peroxide plus UV light (and heat) is what undoes the yellow. 

No scrubbing, so if you're thinking about doing it, I think the red will be ok. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fsped09 said:

Ah ok, when you Retrobrite, there isn't any rubbing/scrubbing. For the cream you apply a layer of it, wrap it in clear plastic wrap and let it sit in the sun (or under UV lights). For the clear, you just mix the solution with water, submerge the plastic, put it in the sun. Ironically the sun is the what makes the plastic yellow, the hydrogen peroxide plus UV light (and heat) is what undoes the yellow. 

No scrubbing, so if you're thinking about doing it, I think the red will be ok. 🙂

Ok for sure, thank you so much! and @skinnygrinny too, I know I could just Google it but it's nice to see it done first hand and get real answers. Appreciate you guys!! after I can snag some hair product I will report back, probably be a while but hey.. originally was thinking of painting but no color was really striking me and it's in good enough shape I would feel kinda bad for altering it, if it were slightly broken then game on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

I was wondering if there was a way to submerge instead of coat. I’ve had great results with the cream but I can imagine submerging is a lot less messy lol. 

It's a heck of a lot less messy since you can just pour it out. I've yet to try it since the current most successful retrobriting technique requires a good bit of heat (winter is upon us now, grr), but the results are fantastic. No streaking or anything since submerging it gives the piece 100% coverage. The 8-Bit Guy documented his experiments with the method not that long ago on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, andrew244 said:

The 8-Bit Guy documented his experiments with the method not that long ago on YouTube.

Can confirm. This is where I got about 90% of the info from. The heat part is tough unless you're doing something small. 8-Bit Guy is in Texas so lots of sun and heat for him to do larger pieces. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fsped09 said:

Can confirm. This is where I got about 90% of the info from. The heat part is tough unless you're doing something small. 8-Bit Guy is in Texas so lots of sun and heat for him to do larger pieces. 

True. I'm in SC so I get a little bit of heat throughout the year as well, though I've seen him add a pot or two of boiling water to the mix on days he couldn't get it up to temperature.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fsped09 said:

8 hours ago, andrew244 said:

True. I'm in SC so I get a little bit of heat throughout the year as well, though I've seen him add a pot or two of boiling water to the mix on days he couldn't get it up to temperature.

Thanks guys. I’m in Florida so I get plenty of heat. I didn’t realize that was part of the equation. I just knew there was plenty of sunlight blasting those pieces lol. I will have to try to submerge method as well. 
thank you very much. 

11 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

@drxandy your welcome. 

btw I painted a console once. I could barely live with myself after that lol

i would rather have a beat up, yellow, stained, cracked, console shell than paint one ever again. 

I can completely understand that, it's kinda sacreligious but I love customizing consoles.

This is the last project I did, I hope it doesn't deviate too far from restoration, I was thinking of doing a custom console thread or something but hey, here we are.

I wish I had a before shot for this. Filthy missing almost everything, the reset button was caked down but it is literally held together by the jumper Pak, all screw posts to the frame are broken, missing feet, expansion bay door and jumper were missing.. etc

I dremeled out the region tabs so I can play jpn games, and did a cheap jpn controller to match the peacock blue and gray color scheme.

20190820_091844.jpg

20190820_092212.jpg

20190820_092537.jpg

20190820_093027.jpg

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

@drxandy nah. That thing is sweet. Nice job! Nice restore. Nice touch. 

I can’t paint that good lol. I didn’t mean to come off like a d-bag. Customs can be cool especially for restore purpose. 

im not a big fan of the airbrush characters, lights and such I guess 😕 

Thanks! Naw I didn't think you were being dbaggy at all. I feel the same way, and searching people's nes mods I just wasn't seeing anything but those.

I started thinking and it does seem a little wrong to mod one in good shape, if I get a broke one it's game on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fsped09 said:

I think they used tank paint for that logo. LOL. It didn't affect any of the paint on the Gameboy I did. 

That's not entirely true.  I know I once had a dirty toaster cover.  I took a cotton swap with alcohol to it and it started taking the red paint of.  I was quite disappointed and was on of my earliest restoration failures that I quickly learned from.  That was probably about 15 years ago.

Anyway, for retrobriting, I have a bin, I put water into it enough to submerse the part, dump in some high-percent peroxide and since it makes the water a bit translucent, I shine high powered black light in it. I  mean the type you DON'T look at, even from an angle because it will damage your eyes.  The UV light bounces around the fluid and does a good job evenly distributing the light into the solution. Letting it soak over night does the trick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fsped09 said:

Is this just spray paint? Its looks amazing!

Yeah it's krylon matte, I prep with 70% alcohol on textured surfaces (smooth I use green scrub pads to sand gently), then I give a light coat of paint, wait a few minutes then come back and do another coat, then another wait and a final coat. I have been thinking of trying sealing with tamya matte but I haven't had any issues with scuffing or anything.. haven't been too rough

The bottom is stock and unpainted.

The cure time is super important, I wait at least a week before reassembling.

I am attempting to revive an a/v modded top loader. It use to work fine then slowly degraded. For a while it would only play the demo loop on any game and freeze when you started to actually play. Then it would only display a purple, red, or blue screen after turning on. Now it is just a black screen. I am figuring one or both of the main chips are shot. 

DB13E018-CC30-496C-95A4-E91983A14E4D.thumb.jpeg.49f7a35a3eba9ef0c471e2e2f57ea5a1.jpeg

52B57170-B135-4D12-861B-74A5167810EB.thumb.jpeg.7890107da05aadb8a69a7c7d6b9798fd.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themisfit138 said:

I am attempting to revive an a/v modded top loader. It use to work fine then slowly degraded. For a while it would only play the demo loop on any game and freeze when you started to actually play. Then it would only display a purple, red, or blue screen after turning on. Now it is just a black screen. I am figuring one or both of the main chips are shot.

Could be the chips, but I think they either work or don't work, not a slow death like you described.  

Did you check the connections? It you have a multi-meter using connectivity mode, you can confirm that the red/green wires are sending the signal. If you're not getting a connection then you could maybe redo the wires and see if that helps.