IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Adventure Island

BeaIank

1 minute ago, skinnygrinny said:

all the power ups seem that way. hey theres an egg for whatever random reason you didnt get it last time lol

The hidden eggs aren't as bad to find. The invisible eggs block your projectiles so keep shooting and you'll find them.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

i aint dying on the first stage fool get off me. get good.

All I'm saying is that 1 life rules aren't particularly good at bringing in new players and making them long-term participants. It really only caters to the people who already do this regularly. Obviously this is not aimed at you.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

All I'm saying is that 1 life rules aren't particularly good at bringing in new players and making them long-term participants. It really only caters to the people who already do this regularly. Obviously this is not aimed at you.

i know it wasnt aimed at me little buddy. i was only breaking the six foot rule to get to know ya. i see your point but let me ask you this. if you came in here green would you quit playing because it was too hard? 

Administrator · Posted

i know it wasnt aimed at me little buddy. i was only breaking the six foot rule to get to know ya. i see your point but let me ask you this. if you came in here green would you quit playing because it was too hard? 

Me, no. 

I'd just personally prefer that it was more inclusive, that's all. 

And frankly I don't see 1 life rules as inherently more difficult, only more frustrating. I think it's more impressive to dive into the mechanics of a game and really maximize it. Memorizing the layout of levels is easy, and more or less all that's required to 1 life a game.

i have never cared for this one much either. but i think if you play it a little more you will start to like it.

I hated Star Force before the contest, but during the contest I got addicted to it, but I still hate it and will never play it again, unless perhaps for another contest, maybe.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I get my ass handed to me regularly and I’m still here😂

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Me, no. 

And frankly I don't see 1 life rules as inherently more difficult, only more frustrating. I think it's more impressive to dive into the mechanics of a game and really maximize it. Memorizing the layout of levels is easy, and more or less all that's required to 1 life a game.

1 life, maximize points or both its all memorization only different dimensions of it. 

idk if ive ever thought of something more frustrating without being more difficult... but maybe i havent thought about it enough.

7 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

I hated Star Force before the contest, but during the contest I got addicted to it, but I still hate it and will never play it again, unless perhaps for another contest, maybe.

lol touche' i said that about star force last time we played and i can honestly say that i did enjoy it again 😛

Events Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Me, no. 

I think you're making good points and we're taking good notes of all players' input to adjust our ruling for games, so thanks for giving your opinion.

Though, as a fan of occasional 1-life ruling myself, I will counter argue to you that there's not much more 'mechanics to dive into' in many games playing them with 1 life VS many lives. The only thing standing apart in many cases is the possibility to burn your extra lives at the best spot(s), which means just repeating a sequence that you'd be trying to do more tightly in a 1-life setting.

But the point that 1-life is less fair to newcomers is definitely something to consider in the future.

Edit : Michael beat me to my point!

I'd add that one of the VERY useful feature of 1-life ruling is to reduce the time a single run can take, which is a big plus in many games, AND it get rid of all the loopholes possible with getting extra lives, be it with scoring marks or picking 1up in stages.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Adventure Island has to be 1 life.
Once you die and lose your weapon, it becomes a totally different, much harder game. No point in forcing people to keep playing for points once they lose the axe/fire.

I disagree, but that's not to say that there's a right or a wrong here.