IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Adventure Island

BeaIank

32 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

YOU REALLY WANT IT MAN, HUH? Okay, I'm gonna skip the part where I tell you why you suck at life and just straight get rid of all this. You and you're little cocksucking offensive Kickle gives me no choice. Here we go...

We're gonna trash that motherfucker Korckle! April Fool's Day!!!

Horry sheet... you freakin had me scratching me head and going WTF!

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Gotta throw a HUGE thanks at @CasualCart that provided us with a wonderful set of cartoons to work with. You're a pro man!

The joke actually started from the first drawing of Korckle in the staff section. Cart did a Kickle alike mascot because I told him that Kickle was our (un)official mascot in the contest. I showed it to Jimbo, because well, that Korckle guy was great art, and the fact that 1st of April was literally the next day made us think of making a stunt out of it. Believe it or not, I got a hold of Cart by like 16h00 today, and an hour later he already crafted 4 additional Korckle cartoons! Crazy good stuff! Then Jimbo went on with his usual Kickle doodling that we all love. I personally thought the last one with Kickle kicking Korckle was absolutely hilarious, HAHA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It didn't help my score any, but I was able to finish the game finally. I only needed 3 continues, which isn't too bad since I haven't done it in 30+ years, although I'm pretty sure I beat it without continuing when I was a kid.

0402201041b.thumb.jpg.28a3561b041247a0556bd2a203637776.jpg

That is approximately 1/1000th of the continues that I used when I beat the game. Congrats.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

That is approximately 1/1000th of the continues that I used when I beat the game. Congrats.

I figured I wasn't going to make a lot of progress on my one life score, so I might as well just shoot for finishing the game. I'd like to have finished it without continues again, but some of those jumps are really tricky and took me a few tries. 

Administrator · Posted

I'm not huge on the one life rule personally. It makes it relatively competitive at the high end, but doesn't really provide much fun for people new to a game or with generally less skill. I'd personally prefer that the people with the most skill in a game battle it out optimizing runs, and potentially even using their extra lives to maximize points by sacrificing lives to restart levels and see who can do that best. That way we see less weeks where there's two or three people with high scores, one or two middling scores, and a bunch of people who can't beat the first level of a game.

As it stands, since a lot of people kinda specialize in one or two genres, each week with a 1 life rule is gonna be a case of "who can beat the game in a single life, gets the top score". Not a whole lot of necessary optimization beyond that; I feel like we're not pushing ourselves to really get into the core scoring mechanics to maximize.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm not huge on the one life rule personally. It makes it relatively competitive at the high end, but doesn't really provide much fun for people new to a game or with generally less skill. I'd personally prefer that the people with the most skill in a game battle it out optimizing runs, and potentially even using their extra lives to maximize points by sacrificing lives to restart levels and see who can do that best. That way we see less weeks where there's two or three people with high scores, one or two middling scores, and a bunch of people who can't beat the first level of a game.

As it stands, since a lot of people kinda specialize in one or two genres, each week with a 1 life rule is gonna be a case of "who can beat the game in a single life, gets the top score". Not a whole lot of necessary optimization beyond that; I feel like we're not pushing ourselves to really get into the core scoring mechanics to maximize.

I kept making stupid mistakes and losing a life early. Using all my lives, I made it about halfway through the game. That was more fun than hitting the reset button every couple minutes.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I kept making stupid mistakes and losing a life early. Using all my lives, I made it about halfway through the game. That was more fun than hitting the reset button every couple minutes.

Exactly. And I mean, nothing says you have to one life it during PRACTICE. We could easily play to one death, take a photo, then keep playing to practice higher levels. But it's not quiiiite the same. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, mbd39 said:

The hidden pots in this game are kind of BS. How would anyone find them without a guide? Sometimes it's obvious, but other times it's like some random snail or rock that you would avoid touching.

Sometimes it's fire. 

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

The hidden pots in this game are kind of BS. How would anyone find them without a guide? Sometimes it's obvious, but other times it's like some random snail or rock that you would avoid touching.

all the power ups seem that way. hey theres an egg for whatever random reason you didnt get it last time lol

is it like super pitfall? i feel like randomly jumping can sometimes earn an egg.

Edited by skinnygrinny

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

i aint dying on the first stage fool get off me. get good.