IGNORED

The Switch Thread

I watched the new Nintendo Direct for Super Mario Bros. Wonder this morning.  I was already pretty sure that I was interested in the game, but the new information released today makes me even more excited about it.  

And the announcement of a new Mario themed Switch is interesting because the release date is on my birthday........ so hint, hint for anyone looking to get me something for my birthday this year.  

5 hours ago, Tabonga said:

@Estil   This looks  right up your alley - not due out till next year though.

I rarely get excited for game releases but I'm looking forward for this. The first game was a pleasant surprise when I randomly picked it up a few years ago, and I liked it enough to get the second near release, and this looks like it will continue a good track record.

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I watched the new Nintendo Direct for Super Mario Bros. Wonder this morning.  I was already pretty sure that I was interested in the game, but the new information released today makes me even more excited about it.  

And the announcement of a new Mario themed Switch is interesting because the release date is on my birthday........ so hint, hint for anyone looking to get me something for my birthday this year.  

I'm hoping they've altered the jumping physics some. I just completed NSMBU last week and I want to like it more than I do. The jumps just feel so "light." I'm gotten so used to Super Mario World physics over a lifetime of playing it that when they tweaked the physics starting on the 2d comeback on the Wii it threw me off and I could never get used to it and always feel like Im fighting the physics. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Today's Nintendo Direct announced a new Mario vs. Donkey Kong game.  I'm a HUGE fan of this series, so I'm really looking forward to it.  I think most of the games in this series are under rated and often overlooked.  

The only thing that looked interesting to me was the Tomb Raider games. Ive never played any of them before and the 3 game package seems appealing. The rest was kind of a snooze fest to me.

Also what was up with that trumpet game? Such a weird game to highlight. Seems like any other terrible  $0.99 eshop game why give it any spotlight?

I had to stop watching after the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong part, so I just now got to watch the rest.  

I'm an even more excited for the Tomb Raider Trilogy.  I'm happy to see it appears to be a 1:1 remake.

The Thousand Year Door remaster is also a huge surprise considering they only recently announced the Super Mario RPG remake.  I figured they would have waited another year after RPG before remaking any of the Paper Mario games.  

It's pretty amazing how many games series that I love were included in a single Direct.

Also, the Peach game didn't look too bad.  That might actually be fun.  And I'll probably try out F-Zero 99 tonight.

All these remakes from Nintendo themselves; Super Mario RPG,  Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Luigi's Mansion 2 basically just points to all of their new game development has moved onto the Switch's successor by now.  These "easy effort" games are gonna fill in the gap till it launches with a hopefully awesome batch of new games.   I'm gonna buy these remakes (well maybe not Mario vs. Donkey Kong), and so will millions of others.

The highlight of this direct for me was Contra:  Operation Galuga.  WayForward returns to reimagine the original, sign me up!!

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I had to stop watching after the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong part, so I just now got to watch the rest.  

I'm an even more excited for the Tomb Raider Trilogy.  I'm happy to see it appears to be a 1:1 remake.

The Thousand Year Door remaster is also a huge surprise considering they only recently announced the Super Mario RPG remake.  I figured they would have waited another year after RPG before remaking any of the Paper Mario games.  

It's pretty amazing how many games series that I love were included in a single Direct.

Also, the Peach game didn't look too bad.  That might actually be fun.  And I'll probably try out F-Zero 99 tonight.

I've yet to watch this, need to this evening, but I do find it very interesting that the two Mario based RPGs people tend to agree are the quality greats are the two that got the resurrections so I guess Nintendo agrees too. 😄

Also heard about TR, didn't know it was an honest remake and not something into the weeds, so now I really have to take a peek.  Friend mentioned some Peach game too, I liked that squirrely one that the DS got so maybe it's good too.

52 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I've yet to watch this, need to this evening, but I do find it very interesting that the two Mario based RPGs people tend to agree are the quality greats are the two that got the resurrections so I guess Nintendo agrees too. 😄

I'm not surprised that those would be the first two RPGs to get remade, but I'm extremely surprised that they would be announced within a few months of each other.  

I saw that the Tomb Raider Trilogy is going to be priced at $30.  I'm happy to see that they aren't going the $60 route, and seems like a great deal considering it's 3 full games plus the original expansions.  Since I've only played the Tomb Raider games on PS1, I've never played any of the expansion levels, so that is an easy buy for me (even though I still own and play my original PS1 copies).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jicsan said:

All these remakes from Nintendo themselves; Super Mario RPG,  Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Luigi's Mansion 2 basically just points to all of their new game development has moved onto the Switch's successor by now.  These "easy effort" games are gonna fill in the gap till it launches with a hopefully awesome batch of new games.   I'm gonna buy these remakes (well maybe not Mario vs. Donkey Kong), and so will millions of others.

The highlight of this direct for me was Contra:  Operation Galuga.  WayForward returns to reimagine the original, sign me up!!

Mario vs Donkey Kong is a remake? I thought it was just another in the series.

I want to be excited for Contra, but that art style is killing me. It looks just like a game demo that came free on my XP PC  back in like 2004 bundled with the Wild Tangent client. 

I.E. it looks really “cheap”

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Mario vs Donkey Kong is a remake? I thought it was just another in the series.

I want to be excited for Contra, but that art style is killing me. It looks just like a game demo that came free on my XP PC  back in like 2004 bundled with the Wild Tangent client. 

Yep was on the GBA. I just finished it recently for my backlog and really enjoyed it. I was hoping it was a new one but as soon as I saw the trailer I was sad to see it was just the GBA game with fancy graphics. 

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I agree with this for sure.  I do wish it was pixel graphics instead, but I’ll take what I can get in this case. 

On 9/14/2023 at 1:30 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Also what was up with that trumpet game? Such a weird game to highlight. Seems like any other terrible  $0.99 eshop game why give it any spotlight?

Although it looks like something that should be part of a larger game (my initial thought was it was going to be some sort of Wii Music sequel), I think it looks kinda fun.  It seems it's already available on PC and was well received.

23 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Anyone playing F-Zero 99 yet? I played for a little while and really enjoyed it. I got wiped out a few times early on, but I managed to sneak a top 10 in on my last race.

I played it a few times.  The trailer got me hyped, but I was disappointed after playing it.  It delivered what it promised, but a 99 player F-Zero game just didn't feel as exciting as I thought it would.  It just made me want to play the SNES or GBA games instead.  I'm sure I'll give it another shot at some point though.