IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

Waiting for the few dozen or hundred Pocket golden ticket winners is the most frustrating thing?  How about offering them at all in such god awful small numbers screwing 1000s of willing customers out of the ability to get one at all?  That's far more frustrating, which will get even nastier when some douchebag puts theirs up on ebay (etc) to get some Christmas hype buyers going for who knows how many times over cost.

Guarantee you we have groaning over that when someone finally gets one as I guarantee you a good many of the buyers will be looking to flip as the money will be TOO tempting.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Waiting for the few dozen or hundred Pocket golden ticket winners is the most frustrating thing?  How about offering them at all in such god awful small numbers screwing 1000s of willing customers out of the ability to get one at all?  That's far more frustrating, which will get even nastier when some douchebag puts theirs up on ebay (etc) to get some Christmas hype buyers going for who knows how many times over cost.

Guarantee you we have groaning over that when someone finally gets one as I guarantee you a good many of the buyers will be looking to flip as the money will be TOO tempting.

That just seems like such an odd thing to complain about knowing that more will be here not long after the initial shipment.  If someone is dumb enough to buy one from a scalper knowing that more are on the way at normal price, that's on them.  I've always faulted the buyers more than the scalpers, and this will be no different for me.  

I've got my order in, and I'm definitely keeping mine when it gets here.  Looking forward to adding it to my new game room, which I hope to have finished before Christmas time.......... hopefully. 

12 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

That just seems like such an odd thing to complain about knowing that more will be here not long after the initial shipment.  If someone is dumb enough to buy one from a scalper knowing that more are on the way at normal price, that's on them.  I've always faulted the buyers more than the scalpers, and this will be no different for me.  

I've got my order in, and I'm definitely keeping mine when it gets here.  Looking forward to adding it to my new game room, which I hope to have finished before Christmas time.......... hopefully. 

I’ll bet you that there will not be large quantities available after. 

everyone that preordered essentially gave analogue an interest free loan for 18 months. Kind of gross if you ask me. 

• Agree 2

On 9/10/2021 at 7:01 PM, TDIRunner said:

I'd argue it's not odd in the slightest.  History shows that when they come up short, the prices get into the stupid levels on ebay and people will pay it because they want one and don't know when/if more will come, and if there will be more shorting due to squatters/bots going nuts trying to grab one.  Happened with the SuperNT, Mega SG, and even the NT/noir too.  Given they were in more robust numbers, the Pocket should be a feeding frenzy too, maybe worse, depending how bad someone wants a handheld like that.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'd argue it's not odd in the slightest.  History shows that when they come up short, the prices get into the stupid levels on ebay and people will pay it because they want one and don't know when/if more will come, and if there will be more shorting due to squatters/bots going nuts trying to grab one.  Happened with the SuperNT, Mega SG, and even the NT/noir too.  Given they were in more robust numbers, the Pocket should be a feeding frenzy too, maybe worse, depending how bad someone wants a handheld like that.

But we KNOW more are coming.  So all of this behavior is extremely odd.  Complaining about it is just a huge waste of time.  

16 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

I’ll bet you that there will not be large quantities available after. 

I'll bet you that there will be.  Maybe I will be wrong, but at least Analogue's history is on my side.  Everyone who wanted a Super NT or Mega SG has had a chance to get one.  And the last batch of NT Mini Noir was around for a while, so again, if anyone wanted one, but didn't get it, that's on them.  

I think the New Year restock will sellout immediately and there will be a long delay until true demand is satisfied. They may actually make enough to satisfy true customers, but I bet scalpers/bots will snap up every single additional Pocket that gets manufactured. I don't think these will be readily available until a second restock. Just my two cents.

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think the New Year restock will sellout immediately and there will be a long delay until true demand is satisfied. They may actually make enough to satisfy true customers, but I bet scalpers/bots will snap up every single additional Pocket that gets manufactured. I don't think these will be readily available until a second restock. Just my two cents.

I agree with this but the last SuperNT and SG restock give me some hope. 

54 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

There has yet to be an Analogue release where every single item was purchased completely by scalpers or bots.  The percentage purchased by bots and scalpers is usually greatly exaggerated.  Look at the Super NT and Mega SG.  Why do you expect the Pocket to be any different in the long run?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Analogue Update: New Announcement Announced - Oct 16th, 8AM PST (11AM EST) - Super Nt Classic & FC Now OOS
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I love their controllers. I've been using the Genesis ones as I go through my Master System collection and they feel great. It's crazy to think Sega and Nintendo just let that revenue stream go to third parties, especially since Nintendo actually has their own controllers for the Switch.

Well, there's a hell of a lot more Switch buyers than Analogue buyers. Nintendo isn't going to concern itself with things that sell in the thousands or even tens of thousands. For them it's mainstream buyers or bust.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, elprincipe said:

I hope the 16th announcement is that we can order a Duo 🙂

That seems to be the prevailing theory among the Twitter comments. I suspect they will announce a preorder time and date rather than start taking preorders, but I'm definitely going to be ready to pay up.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping against hope that they'll finally, actually release a plastic cased version of the NT mini.  There's zero reason not to produce a version for the bunches of people who would happily pay in the ~$200 range for one of their HDMI systems that's NES (and more!) capable without having to shell out an extra $300 or more for a metal case that isn't necessary (or desirable in the case of it scratching up cartridges for a good while).  I doubt it'll happen, but one can hope.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Personally, I'm kind of hoping against hope that they'll finally, actually release a plastic cased version of the NT mini.  There's zero reason not to produce a version for the bunches of people who would happily pay in the ~$200 range for one of their HDMI systems that's NES (and more!) capable without having to shell out an extra $300 or more for a metal case that isn't necessary (or desirable in the case of it scratching up cartridges for a good while).  I doubt it'll happen, but one can hope.

It seems like that would make sense. I have no reason to pay $500 for one when I already have an AVS, but I would be interested in a plastic one at a more reasonable price.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It seems like that would make sense. I have no reason to pay $500 for one when I already have an AVS, but I would be interested in a plastic one at a more reasonable price.

Bingo.  It's unnecessarily leaving money on the table.  Outside of manufacturing constraints, I really can't fathom why they've done "limited" releases for their NES offerings in the past, but not reissuing hardware that there's a definite demand for and that they don't have any issues manufacturing just seems incredibly shortsighted and dumb.

9 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah that is hands down by and far the most ridiculous crock of stupid shit they perpetually pull.  For years now people have wanted a cheap standard run price value NES from them, instead they go from one size to a mini, and noir and all this other bullshit...and still it's like a $500-600 system whatever it cost.  The only benefit being the original cannibalized an old NES and then used the FPGA setup they've used since on other things.  The ONLY reason I have a hacked up top loader is because of their stubborn stupid arrogance about it, so I have that hi-def NES kit in my top loader.  That core, the same one they use made by the same dude (kevin horton/kevtris) which effectively makes it like the original NT given it's chopped console with HDMI guts added in.

I'd prefer to sell that system off and have the FPGA instead, quality new made system that'll last with all it's nice little perks that come with it for $200.  They decide to grow up and do it, I'll take one.

• Like 1