IGNORED

Star Keeper - General Collector’s Discussion

Lambda

8 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/index.html

Not in anyway complete, but still a nice resource. 

Ahh yeah saw that, tried using the search it was broken, and about 10 pages into the brewery it was all 404 about it and it was years later than 2014.  Nice find. 😉

Fair enough, google sometimes does better from the outside than in.  I've done my google fu on another prospect earlier and so I'm 50/50 for the day. 😄

I see what you meant though about Star keeper, yeah I'd like it, but no I don't think I have like $600 in stuff to give in trade you'd even want to touch in the first place.  I mean I might, but i doubt it.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I see what you meant though about Star keeper, yeah I'd like it, but no I don't think I have like $600 in stuff to give in trade you'd even want to touch in the first place.  I mean I might, but i doubt it.

I'm really only looking for the heavy hitters to trade for Star Keeper.  But I'm pretty open on the Haradius Zero. 

12 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm really only looking for the heavy hitters to trade for Star Keeper.  But I'm pretty open on the Haradius Zero. 

I have my trade/sale thread on here if that is of any help.  The heaviest hitter I have currently would be a very pretty copy of Great Greed and its manual but that's not homebrew territory, just a legit overly expensive game and manual. 😄  I imagine if I had some idea there are things here I potentially could part with depending.  Haradius Zero looks fun, and I get it on the other, I just don't have anything too crazy.

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A nice night in Singapore, if you know what I mean. 😛

Yup @fcgamer walked into that one alright intended or not.

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A nice night in Singapore, if you know what I mean. 😛

This clip is from the 1984 film "Crimes of Passion" - Kathleen Turner stars as a quirky (in more ways than one) prostitute named China Blue.   If you can handle mature films that run deeper than they initially seem this is a hidden gem.  Try to find the unrated version - not for the more titillating (as it were) footage but that that footage plays an intregal part of fully understanding later developments of the plotline.

Edited by Tabonga

I just registered to reply to some of the posts here. Star Keeper can't be dumped by normal means because the program is stored on a microcontroller which outputs the instructions and graphics when it feels like it. That is why it was never dumped, simple as that.

There are a lot of despicable and heinous takes on dumping and preservation, you all need to chill. Dumping games has never devalued the original product. In fact, it has generally lead to the opposite due to the sheer popularity generated by media (blogs, youtube, streamers) coverage.

But I guess some NA members still care about the e-dingy meme.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

So Basically it can never ever be dumped? Cool

Haha: "never!"  Anything that can be made once can be made again.  My interpretation of his post is that it will be very very difficult to dump the game and will require someone with bunnyboy-level skills to accomplish it.  But at the end of the day, it's just binary data like everything else in the computing world...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

So Basically it can never ever be dumped? Cool

See attachment.

I find it amusing how arcade collectors have basically understood the importance of dumping due to the sheer number of ICs in the units and the low number of remaining working cabinets. I see that Nintendo collecting is still plagued by this subset of unsustainable weirdos.

FJpUlNmXEAM3Drc.jpg

2 hours ago, DeterioratingBrains said:

See attachment.

I find it amusing how arcade collectors have basically understood the importance of dumping due to the sheer number of ICs in the units and the low number of remaining working cabinets. I see that Nintendo collecting is still plagued by this subset of unsustainable weirdos.

It's not weirdos, but you also kind of made a good point when trying to make your point that is in conflict.  Arcade people get pretty worked up because of the numerous ICs that can fail and the very low working cabinets so they very much want these things saved.  Over on Atari Age I recall a thread there for Marble Madness 2 that typifies why it's desperately needed when there are so few copies to go around.  Starkeeper falls into that level, not obviously having like 2 existing boards, but it's low compared to many homebrew, unlicensed, bootleg, and legit game runs.  So I can see where the mind set comes that it should be preserved and made open to find, analyze, study, and enjoy.  It's not a crime wanting to do something good like that, and as you stated in post one...it's proven that having 'da romz' out there doesn't harm sales if anything it helps and helps spread media awareness about it which is a win win.

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Haha: "never!"  Anything that can be made once can be made again.  My interpretation of his post is that it will be very very difficult to dump the game and will require someone with bunnyboy-level skills to accomplish it.  But at the end of the day, it's just binary data like everything else in the computing world...

Oh Poland, where art thou 😄

edit: I mean BunnyBoy, I remember he was reproing Taiwan outfits Mario 2 port, then saying it was the definitive one, lol.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

I bought an original RE copy on NA when this was released. I remember thinking at the time that this was gonna be a good one, and like others have mentioned it was very reasonably priced so I knew it would sell fast. I was persistent and even sent 87Arts direct messages asking when he was going to put them on eBay and if he needed any help. If memory serves me correct I think he did end up selling them on eBay and “announced” the release with a link on NA to his eBay listing.

Initially, I was bummed that I missed out on an LE copy and only got a RE version. As the game has become more desirable I’m actually more appreciative of my RE copy and I feel it represents an original, unaltered version of the game. I know that might sound like sour grapes on my end, but really it’s just bittersweet. I still envy those with a custom message or a LE# embedded inside. I just feel like the game is already “limited” by nature so I’m happy to have a clean copy.

• Agree 1

My understanding is that the RE copies are "worth" more because they're more limited than the limited editions, so enjoy your clean copy! I'm glad my limited edition doesn't have a special message on it, and as a science fiction geek it's really cool that I ended up with #42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecmyers said:

My understanding is that the RE copies are "worth" more because they're more limited than the limited editions, so enjoy your clean copy! I'm glad my limited edition doesn't have a special message on it, and as a science fiction geek it's really cool that I ended up with #42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I believe there are only 16 copies, and I had one. It’s sold now but I believe he was only able to get 16 out before it got shut down for whatever reason. 

23 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I believe there are only 16 copies, and I had one. It’s sold now but I believe he was only able to get 16 out before it got shut down for whatever reason. 

They did a run of regular editions on eBay too. I got another one when those went live. That whole release was all over the place. 

23 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Now that you mention that, I think eBay thought they were bootlegs or reproductions for some reason… or somehow his listing got reported. I might totally be wrong, but I remember there was some kind of snag on the RE eBay sales. The LE might have been sold on NA… sad it’s only been a few years, but I can’t remember.