IGNORED

Star Keeper - General Collector’s Discussion

Lambda

3 hours ago, portabello said:

Now that you mention that, I think eBay thought they were bootlegs or reproductions for some reason… or somehow his listing got reported. I might totally be wrong, but I remember there was some kind of snag on the RE eBay sales. The LE might have been sold on NA… sad it’s only been a few years, but I can’t remember.

I think thats exactly what happened. I forget if I got mine through NA or not

On 5/7/2022 at 1:13 PM, MrWunderful said:

I think thats exactly what happened. I forget if I got mine through NA or not

Yep! They were flagged as bootlegs. The lead-up to the “release time” was a riot. We were posted up at NA, flooding the board with several messages. The OP was late in providing us with any communication after he didn’t meet his scheduled time to sell on eBay. Someone was also keeping a list of “claimed” copies in case the eBay sale flopped, and of course it did. He was finally convinced to sell most copies through NA. Although, he even considered selling through AliExpress after the eBay mess. The only issue selling through NA was, he didn’t know how to use PayPal. So he scrapped the initial release date and finally sold most copies through NA. It was user, LucasWeatherby, who kept the original list (before the eBay flop), and I think the developer was mostly convinced to go with that list. It was one of the craziest things I remember happening at NA.

700BC3A6-1B6C-4C21-86F3-1DEE3AB947B4.jpeg

Edited by Generic
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So pull a magical chase, except you're not starting out cheap, but the end game manipulation tactics would be all the same to earn some bucks.  That is the AAA game of scummy antics before that crap was even normal as it has been for some years now, so bad it even influenced knockoffs to be more expensive than others, and made even ports a little on the painful to buy side too (GBC.)

• Agree 2

• 6 months later...

Just got this game in the mail today, I've been after it for a little bit. Mine is a "limited" edition, looking forward to trying it out tonight after work. 

I didn't see any pictures at a glance, thought I'd add mine. My cart is not glued together, just has 3 standard Phillips screws. The PCB is a custom manufactured board and it looks like an Eprom with the data on it. 

20221128_140714.jpg

20221128_140702.jpg

• Like 1

Started playing it this evening and damn is it tough! I'm on wave 2 of the 4th level right now I think (stepped away for a minute) and while I'm pretty confident I can beat this level, idk about beating the whole game. The difficulty curve is pretty good so far, though I think some of 2-3-4 are out of order in terms of difficulty of enemy attacks and hit points. Those 🦸‍♂️ especially. 

One final thought (for now): I was originally playing on a regular square NES controller and my forearm was starting to hurt from jamming A and B so much, just swapped to a joystick and arcade style setup and my GOD is it so much easier on my old body. Highly recommend using something like an advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Started playing it this evening and damn is it tough! I'm on wave 2 of the 4th level right now I think (stepped away for a minute) and while I'm pretty confident I can beat this level, idk about beating the whole game. The difficulty curve is pretty good so far, though I think some of 2-3-4 are out of order in terms of difficulty of enemy attacks and hit points. Those 🦸‍♂️ especially. 

One final thought (for now): I was originally playing on a regular square NES controller and my forearm was starting to hurt from jamming A and B so much, just swapped to a joystick and arcade style setup and my GOD is it so much easier on my old body. Highly recommend using something like an advantage. 

Yes, this game is superbly difficult. Ive gotten to the final Moon boss but lost the entire game due to a thunderstorm power outage. The only way I got that far is to farm for 1UPs (which takes forever and lots of patience).  Thankfully, the newly found cheat code will help you greatly. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, dbarrett0928 said:

Just ran across this thread - recently snagged this gem off eBay. Ran me $2,500.00! insane I know but I believe its one of the best and the rarest games in existence as I almost never ever see these pop up anywhere. 

Congrats on your recent purchase!  Hope you enjoy the game too. It's difficult and quite unique. Where ya from? 

1 hour ago, RetroX85 said:

Congrats on your recent purchase!  Hope you enjoy the game too. It's difficult and quite unique. Where ya from? 

Im in Utah (USA). I believe the buyer I purchased it from was in the UK. I would have to look. It was an eBay purchase. It actually literally just arrived in the mail today. 

Here is some more information on Star Keeper. I don't know how deep into the threads The Internet Archive will let you read, but the first link will give you the most information and it was pretty wild! The entire thread is pretty crazy, but it gets really good around page 12. EDIT: It looks like the archive ends at page 18. Maybe another date can go deeper into it. I was able to skip page 19 and go to 20. Still reading.

Archive of the Star Keeper thread in the Brewery section of nintendoage.com.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140818025501/http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=125036&StartRow=1

Archive of the Star Keeper Sales thread in the Seller's Forum of nintendoage.com.
https://web.archive.org/web/20141022030247/http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=134803&StartRow=1

Edited by Orab Games
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1