IGNORED

Star Keeper - General Collector’s Discussion

Lambda

22 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

I haven't had much luck with  gargoyles giving power-ups. The dark-masters have been giving me good power-ups occasionally. The dragons hardly give any power-ups. I guess its all random?

I can't say I remember how frequently I was able to get power-ups from the gargoyles.  It has been too long (I only played this through once and that was when it first came out).  I do remember it took me quite a few tries to beat that stage though.  If it wasn't for the unlimited continues, I may not have bothered.

3 minutes ago, Red said:

I can't say I remember how frequently I was able to get power-ups from the gargoyles.  It has been too long (I only played this through once and that was when it first came out).  I do remember it took me quite a few tries to beat that stage though.  If it wasn't for the unlimited continues, I may not have bothered.

Yeah I've been getting power-ups at random intervals. I wish the power-ups were more abundant. I have gotten past wave 1 quite a few times today. It seems like once I'm in Wave 2,  I only have 1 (maybe 2 ) lives left. If I die, then its back to wave 1 again.  I need a string of luck and I feel like 208 stars is a bit much 🤣 just gotta power through this somehow. 

I am going to keep practicing and trying. I won't stop until my system freezes or I have a power failure. I wanna take on the Moon boss already! 🌛

Progress update: 

I finally beat stage 8!  Its definitely the most difficult because of how many stars you have to collect in both waves. 208 stars is a lot and it didn't take long before enemies (flying dragons, sorcerers, and gargoyles) effortlessly tried to wreck my day.  

The only way I could pass stage 8 was to rack up a decent amount of "1UP's". In my case, I gathered roughly 10 or so lives. They are  scarce and only come about every so often.  

There is an area just to the left of Guardian One house right before the first pillar ( Thanks to "Red" on the forum here for mentioning it). Hovering in this area seems to only spawn Dark Masters and gargoyles if done correctly. Its a very small area to play around in, so you have to be patient and keep a steady hand with the propulsion button. The gargoyles will fly in sets of 4 or 5 at the top of the screen. Its best to attack them head-on at their level so you can get power ups, hearts and the occasional 1UP. Using this method was a bit frustrating and it also took time to gather 1UPs but it worked for me. 

Once I had enough lives stacked up I went ahead collecting and dropping stars. I always kept moving and only stopping when I had to drop the stars in the house. 

The "Last Wave" is right after stage 8. It is the moon boss. I am currently trying to beat him and it may take a quite a few attempts to do so. 👍   Here are a couple of screenshots wrapping up stage 8 and the "Last Wave". 

20210418_224622.jpg

20210418_231111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Oh no @RetroX85! I guess leaving it on for so long, you were really pressing your luck. But great effort!

Some of us have been trying to crack that code for a while, so any insights would be great. We don't even really know what the code does at this point, so maybe that's the problem—maybe we're activating it and the effect isn't obvious. Anyway, there's a separate thread for that here: 

Edited to Add: But I see you have already been all over it there! 😄  Sorry, it's been a while since I checked in on the thread.

Edited by ecmyers

5 minutes ago, ecmyers said:

Oh no @RetroX85! I guess leaving it on for so long, you were really pressing your luck. But great effort!

Some of us have been trying to crack that code for a while, so any insights would be great. We don't even really know what the code does at this point, so maybe that's the problem—maybe we're activating it and the effect isn't obvious. Anyway, there's a separate thread for that here: 

Edited to Add: But I see you have already been all over it there! 😄  Sorry, it's been a while since I checked in on the thread.

Thanks! I'm glad I got to the end of the game. I was definitely pressing my luck.  Hopefully one of us will find out how to enable the code in the manual. That would be awesome and rewarding as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow! It's been a while since I've posted on any forum really, but going through some random gear, found my copies of Star Keeper, so decided to run a quick search and damn! Has this game really gone up that much?

I had 3 copies! I remember wanting one of each release.

I sold a copy a couple of years ago to someone who contacted me out of nowhere. Reading through this thread, for sure it was someone here hehe. Not sure which one I sold, but I have #20 here, and checking my email history, bought #34 off the creator back on NA. I'm pretty sure the last would have been from the final batch run of 16.

Being in Australia, I only had a PAL NES on hand so didn't even play these. I think he said it was NTSC only, not sure really.

Is there a way to tell which number this would be without playing the game? Looking at the zip lock bag, there's dried up glue at the top where the number was, but it's fallen off in my cabinet somewhere, and far too much crap in there to pull out to find it.

IMG_20210601_220123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...