IGNORED

Star Keeper - General Collector’s Discussion

Lambda

The seller is interesting. I asked him what number his copy is. He replied with, “I’m not sure. I haven’t taken it out of the case which is why it’s listed as brand new”. I told him that it’s not really brand new since the case never came sealed. The only way it was “sealed” was in the brown shipping box it came in, along with being wrapped in a ziplock bag. That’s the  closest to “brand new” it will ever be.

I then asked if he could simply pop it into an NES to check the title screen and he said, “sorry, I don’t have an NES”. I looked at his seller’s history and he has sold several homebrew NES games……and he doesn’t have an NES???? Lol 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Someone on YouTube is on me to dump the game, claiming "anyone" can modify the custom mapper to get it to work in an emulator. 😅

This did prompt me to finally open the game up to check out the PCB though, since I've never seen images of it. I meant to do it earlier, but I saw someone here comment that the fifth screw in the middle was glued in or something—however, my cart only has three screws, and it opened up no problem. Just for the curious, here are some shots of the custom PCB. If we aren't supposed to post images of it for some reason, feel free to delete this.

IMG_20220425_235642427.jpg

IMG_20220425_235629632.jpg

Edited by ecmyers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ecmyers said:

Someone on YouTube is on me to dump the game, claiming "anyone" can modify the custom mapper to get it to work in an emulator. 😅

This did prompt me to finally open the game up to check out the PCB though, since I've never seen images of it. I meant to do it earlier, but I saw someone here comment that the fifth screw in the middle was glued in or something—however, my cart only has three screws, and it opened up no problem. Just for the curious, here are some shots of the custom PCB. If we aren't supposed to post images of it for some reason, feel free to delete this.

IMG_20220425_235642427.jpg

IMG_20220425_235629632.jpg

Very interesting. I always wanted to see what was inside. Thanks for showing us!  

One is about to end on ebay within the next 12 hours or so I think, last I looked an hour or two ago it was at $600.  Too much for me to justify it, but yeah...it would be nice to get it dumped, made public, and analyzed so a mapper could be created or hacked to run it for the masses.  Sucks when treasures are held hostage.

• Angry 1

Since when has VGS turned into an illegal homebrew warez forum? I'm pretty sure it goes against the developer's wishes to have this dumped and released to the public. He even said as much when he discussed not wanting his hard work lumped in with cheap Chinese clones. If someone uses their personal copy to create a backup and document the mapper, I see no ethical issues with that. However, I would be terribly disappointed in the homebrew collecting community if this rom was made public just because a few people feel entitled to own a rom.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Orab Games said:

Since when has VGS turned into an illegal homebrew warez forum? I'm pretty sure it goes against the developer's wishes to have this dumped and released to the public. He even said as much when he discussed not wanting his hard work lumped in with cheap Chinese clones. If someone uses their personal copy to create a backup and document the mapper, I see no ethical issues with that. However, I would be terribly disappointed in the homebrew collecting community if this rom was made public just because a few people feel entitled to own a rom.

While I agree with not endorsing the dumping of homebrew hobbyist games, I also remember that the reason that I first passed on buying this game was because he equated Famicom with piracy and cheap clones, which was honestly a dick move to everyone he probably ever gamed with during the formative years, especially when NES also was a hot bed for piracy in numerous locales around the globe.

• Like 2

It's a bit weak to publicly dump/distribute someone else's work in the hobby as a homebrew maker, without permission, as if one is entitled to it 'for the community'?  I'm all for preservation, but that's overstepping boundaries a bit at this point.  It'd be nice if 87arts released a digital version for it though so more people can play it, but I can also see the reason he'd be against it.  His choice!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orab Games said:

I didn't say I was going to dump it or release the ROM, just that someone has been bugging me to do so over on my YouTube post. I'm aware that 87Arts does not want it to be released publicly, so of course I wouldn't share the ROM even if I could. I assumed it was OK to share pics of the PCB though, since I haven't seen them documented anywhere else.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ecmyers said:

I didn't say I was going to dump it or release the ROM, just that someone has been bugging me to do so over on my YouTube post. I'm aware that 87Arts does not want it to be released publicly, so of course I wouldn't share the ROM even if I could. I assumed it was OK to share pics of the PCB though, since I haven't seen them documented anywhere else.

My comment about piracy was not aimed at you, bud. Tinkering with your own personal copy is not an issue for me. My issue is with those who thinks its ok to pirate homebrew roms. Speaking out against pirating other fellow community member's hard work is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Edited by Orab Games
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Orab Games said:

My comment about piracy was not aimed at you, bud. Tinkering with your own personal copy is not an issue for me. My issue is with those who thinks its ok to pirate homebrew roms. Speaking out against pirating other fellow community member's hard work is a hill I'm willing to die on.

I feel the same way about "reproing" unlicensed games, and I got crucified for that.

12 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

It be great to hear from 87Arts again.   Would even be better if he decided to make a Star Keeper sequel. 

Love the game, I don't think it should ever be dumped.

I feel the same about dumping and reproing unlicensed games, dumping protos, etc. Repros suck, but at the end of the day, I hate smorgasbords more than people wanting an obscure and limited homebrew dumped 😉

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Agree with what’s been said. VGS is not a place that condones piracy.

Love that Eugene is sharing some cool information to enhance our understanding of this game, which is in line with the desire toward history and preservation.

But Tanooki’s desire to dump it for the masses is unethical and not condoned here. Just because you want it and can’t obtain it legitimately doesn’t mean the developer’s wishes should be ignored to justify pirating it. We need to dispense with this fallacy. Unless you’re one of the established people known to work in preservation, stop pretending your personal wants are for the “good of the community.”

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wow testy rant there over my post, a post I do stand by.  I don't give a spit about guarding some double standard when it comes to games.  It's ok to steal this, but not that.  Corporate greed versus the little guy?  Utter gatekeeper behavior wrapped deeply in hypocrisy.

Be happy I don't have deeper pockets and had a cart reader/writer, you'd want my throat.  I'm about preservation and public display like a museum.  Plus really what fcgamer said there in that post after my last.  I'm willing to die on the hill that double standards should stop, can't cherry pick which is ok and not and think that's just fine.  We wouldn't have the community at all if it wasn't for the people who made games it's somehow ok to steal like crazy and share all over now in the first place to get all hot over someone wanting to do the same with the new stuff too.

Moderator · Posted
5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

While I agree with not endorsing the dumping of homebrew hobbyist games, I also remember that the reason that I first passed on buying this game was because he equated Famicom with piracy and cheap clones, which was honestly a dick move to everyone he probably ever gamed with during the formative years, especially when NES also was a hot bed for piracy in numerous locales around the globe.

That definitely wasn’t an attitude that aged well for him. Some of the most interesting homebrew of the last few years was developed for the Famicom. And some of the games I’m most looking forward to are Famicom brews. I don’t think (and I’m not implying that you do) that his ignorant opinion justifies his game being pirated. Just because someone is an ass doesn’t mean ethical boundaries collapse with regard to them and their work.

But you also raise a fair point that comes up again and again about wanting to support the art when you don’t like the artist. I wrestle with this one a lot, but still want to play fun games even if the developer proves problematic, and I don’t think their behavior negates their right to have their wishes respected vis à vis their work.