IGNORED

Did your family buy into that Y2K scare?

attakid101

You guys remember that sh*t? I was a kid at the time and never really gave it much thought until I saw a couple adults freaking out about it.

My friend’s dad was stockpiling water and bought a wood stove. That’s when I started feeling worried. I tried to convince my parents to take it seriously but they weren’t buying it.

Clock struck midnight and there wasn't a single nuclear zombie to be found. Kinda disappointing when you think about it.

Hard to believe it was 20 years ago....

Nope, not at all. Back then my forum du jour was a place called Nightly.Net, which I found because they had an active Star Wars forum. When the clock rolled over, it showed the date as “1/1/100”. That was the only thing after the New Year that I saw that was a true Y2K bug.

Edited by RH

7 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

We didn't - but I remember looking at a guy who lived in an apartment across the street dumping like 50 gallons of water out on the lawn on New Years Day.  That was pretty awesome.

Planeteer Alert!!!  There's nothing "awesome" about wasting perfectly good water 😞

Edited by Estil

34 minutes ago, Estil said:

Planeteer Alert!!!  There's nothing "awesome" about wasting perfectly good water 😞

At least he put it on the lawn where it did some good rather than dumping it down the drain or on the street to go into the storm drains.  And contrary to popular belief you can't keep water lying around in jugs and expect it to remain potable for any length of time.  

Nope, although a friend's parents did.  They had a bunker's worth of stuff "prepped" and ended up having trouble using or getting rid of it all after the fact.  My parents stayed up to watch the ball drop then went to bed while my brother and I stayed up a few hours more to watch any incoming reports of the pending robot uprising.  Sadly, we only saw reports of a few, seemingly random, slot machines, ATMs, gas pumps, etc. glitching, but beyond that everything proceeding as normal.  Oh well, maybe next year, SkyNet.

Nope, but I think that was due to my family not being very tech-savvy. One of my college roommates reported long lines at the ATM on New Year's Eve. People were withdrawing a few hundred dollars "just in case".

I'm kind of annoyed at the Y2K revisionism that has gone on in the years since 2000. People believing that because Y2K didn't live up to the hype of bombs going off or civilization collapsing that is was all a hoax or conspiracy by tech companies to sell computers.

Edited by Teh_Lurv

Administrator · Posted
On 1/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, Teh_Lurv said:

Nope, but I think that was due to my family not being very tech-savvy. One of my college roommates reported long lines at the ATM on New Year's Eve. People were withdrawing a few hundred dollars "just in case".

I'm kind of annoyed at the Y2K revisionism that has gone on in the years since 2000. People believing that because Y2K didn't live up to the hype of bombs going off or civilization collapsing that is was all a hoax or conspiracy by tech companies to sell computers.

Had the banks not acted a couple years in advance, that part of it could have gotten pretty messy.   

Especially if people were as card reliant as they are today.   Back then debit cards weren't really in use like they are now; it was just your ATM card.

The part that sucked for people in the IT industry is that every company shot their budget on getting everything Y2K ready, so in 2001 consulting companies were laying off staff left and right.

What got me the most about all of that scaremongering, at least in the US, is that we start to celebrate they New Year, what, 17 hours after the day had tripped already on the international dateline?  That meant that if things worked out well for Australia... China... India... we'd be good.  However, if things went south in those regions, we could have just shut down our critical systems and brought them up one at time and fixed issues more gracefully.

Granted, I was certain everything would have went just fine, but even in the very-unlikely, worst case scenario, those of us in North and South America had a considerably buffer.

Editorials Team · Posted

Nobody will admit to anything. I was a teenager so nothing was about to happen to me directly, and my family didn't stockpile anything, but I was aware and curious. I remember a lot more people being worried about it than will admit it nowadays. I at least understood what the issue was, and it was funny to talk about it afterwards with people who knew absolutely nothing about computers, saying "I knew nothing was going to happen." ...you did? You knew that?? And of course not a soul 20 years later will ever say "oh I was terrified of Y2K!"