IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Putting the name of the collection on the grading isn't a new thing, it's called pedigree and has been around in comic books for a long time. The issue I have with it is that comic collections only gain pedigree if they are a very well known collection from someone that built it up from new. That means they bought the books in the 1960s as they were put on shelves, they didn't piece it together from the used market.

Dain did not do this, he didn't buy his games off the shelf in the 1990s (not all of them) so I am confused how he got labelled with pedigree. I'm guessing WATA was trying to gain credibility with the comic collectors and decided they could make more money if they slipped that in there.

Either way, I'd prefer to have a graded game without that label on it, it looks odd and I wouldn't want to have to explain it to people when I showed them the game.

Your comment prompted me to read about all the pedigrees in comic books. Then I saw a FB post from a guy who shipped a bunch of games to Wata who said that some of his games were identified to be part of the Hawaii collection. So I read up on that too:

https://www.watagames.com/learn/blog/post/the-hawaii-collection-the-singer-collection/

This is actually pretty cool. And I know the Carolina thing felt forced but I do think Dain has enough notoriety that it makes sense. I mean we all know who he is just on his first name. I don’t doubt there are other bigger collections out there that will eventually make the Carolina set seem quaint but whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Your comment prompted me to read about all the pedigrees in comic books. Then I saw a FB post from a guy who shipped a bunch of games to Wata who said that some of his games were identified to be part of the Hawaii collection. So I read up on that too:

https://www.watagames.com/learn/blog/post/the-hawaii-collection-the-singer-collection/

This is actually pretty cool. And I know the Carolina thing felt forced but I do think Dain has enough notoriety that it makes sense. I mean we all know who he is just on his first name. I don’t doubt there are other bigger collections out there that will eventually make the Carolina set seem quaint but whatever.

You're missing the point, the collection size and notoriety don't matter in other collecting hobbies. It's the fact the collector purchased the items new and kept them their whole life, that makes a pedigree. I've never heard of the Hawaii collection but I disagree with giving pedigree to a collection just because it's well known. I have a few thousand games, I've been collecting for 10 years and there are some very rare pieces in there. I still don't think I deserve the pedigree because I didn't buy any of them new.

• Like 1

@Code Monkey thanks eh! i appreciate the box brother. even though we might disagree on inbox etiquette 😉

@arnpoly gave me a nice price on the cart...prob been 4 years ago?

this isnt a game i care for but i do enjoy making something (cib) from parts most people would pass on. especially when they come as gifts from other members here. thank you guys.

87C0E6C3-D05F-4AD1-9811-2337C15F0A8F.jpeg

B769F09C-D147-456E-A6AF-59D13A596609.jpeg

9FB572D4-FB4F-4E92-A7CE-8B5FC2B94FF2.jpeg

• Like 10

sept2020pickuos.thumb.jpg.f8266969c63dcbb548e577d8ee0cf456.jpg

Here's the haul for September.  I finally got Streets of Rage 4 in from LRG.  I will open and play it at some point, but I'd already played it a bit on my son's Xbox via Game Pass.  Of course I had to get Super Mario 3D All Stars, we've been playing it quite a bit.  And after seeing the announcement for Hyrule Warriors 2 I decided to finally get the first one for Switch.  I already have it on Wii U, but never bought the DLC.  Well it seems that everyone had that same idea and it was kind of tough to find.  Finally got it at an out of the way Wal-Mart.  

• Like 5

I picked up a Honeybee Family Adapter. I can finally play Famicom Disk System on my NES, if for some reason I decide I just HAVE to do it.  These aren't easy to come by, apparently.

I've already modded it to allow for passing FDS expansion audio through properly. The  build quality on this thing is horrific and I cannot believe it actually works.

20201008_143846.jpg

20201008_143933.jpg

20201008_144007.jpg

• Like 9

Some new things:

Found a great looking Darkstalkers for PS1:spacer.png

Got Mario Party 6 for an amazing price. Now I just need Mario Party 5 to have all Mario Party games.
spacer.png

A bit of Master System, Mega Drive and Game Gear:

A00KcDqh.jpg

Hagane has a bit of damage on the label but it was priced accordingly. Mario Kart is sealed.
FZ77uQ7h.jpg

I don't consider myself an Atari 2600 collector but sometimes some things appear I just have to get.
Espial was one of those things. I was VERY surprised by its price but I got it for half of what it's going on ebay.
C35Mbf7h.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 2

20 hours ago, Galdius said:

Some new things:

I don't consider myself an Atari 2600 collector but sometimes some things appear I just have to get.
Espial was one of those things. I was VERY surprised by its price but I got it for half of what it's going on ebay.
C35Mbf7h.jpg

I am a 2600 collector (not a grader) so if you want to sell that lot, I'm buying. I have half those cartridges already but I'd buy those again to get the boxes, especially Espial.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I am a 2600 collector (not a grader) so if you want to sell that lot, I'm buying. I have half those cartridges already but I'd buy those again to get the boxes, especially Espial.

I’m not looking to sell them. In fact, there’re more chances of getting more games than selling those few. The same seller has a NTSC CIB copy of Atari’s BMS Airmaster than I may buy.

3 minutes ago, Galdius said:

I’m not looking to sell them. In fact, there’re more chances of getting more games than selling those few. The same seller has a NTSC CIB copy of Atari’s BMS Airmaster than I may buy.

You will be a legend if you can actually get this. I would like to even see one. Please send me the contact of this guy if he has more you don't want.

• Like 1

I consider myself lucky.  Found this sale list on facebook today for $40 for a blue/metallic(black interior/rear) DS Lite along with this ez-flash iv +32gb card.  Guy said no one wanted it, couldn't get rid of it for weeks.  A bit of a miscommunication, but it seemed like he was thinking of just letting me have it.  He shows up a bit late, gives me the handheld free!  There was no kit, but we talked about it, like a half hour later he writes me remembering I did care, he may end up giving me that free too or for some lower fee?!  Last message was this afternoon saying he'd find time in the week to drop it off.  Either way, that's a win.

And on a lesser but very cool note Samsung BD-E5300 blu-ray player I found at a goodwill in its box with the remote and all packing info for just $10.  Kind of surprised me, but having no movie player anymore with the PS3 out of here I tried the risk.  Ended up being like brand new, barely used, still had the original old batteries in it (clean, working well.)  Sterilized it completely, plugged it in, ran a movie perfectly and even took a more recent firmware update quick too.

• Like 1

I feel personally like I'd want to put this on its own thread, but I'm not greedy.  This was a couple years worth of trying to find this again after so long, a game, one in a set of four, only on GBC in the UK.  For some reason despite all coming out the same time a little over 20 years ago, the fourth has slipped into the gaming version of the bermuda triangle as it's just ugly to get a copy of.  I can thank a bit of good timing and a friendly ebay aussie on this one.  I rarely pay up on these things, but I did on this, though it easily could have been worse too so I can't complain.

Here it is, Konami GB Collection Vol 4.  Gradius 2 (Interstellar Assault), Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and Antarctic Adventure.  Good times!  All four together again at last (just not in this picture.) 😄

konamigbc4uk.jpg

• Like 4

Apologies if I am double posting anything. My job has been keeping me super busy the past two weeks and I’ve had a lot come in (some of it was pre-ordered long ago) and just zero time to organize. My home office is a huge mess right now.

With Zelda: Oracle of Ages I finally have the pair, will post a collection pic later. The Pac-Man games are really unnecessary because I already have the GBC game but they are in stellar condition and it’s very hard for me to let go of anything Pac-Man.

E8A5084A-B94A-4D2D-990A-EA36C0E6ABF2.thumb.jpeg.0c5708b7838be6a9f150a4f2ef398cc2.jpeg

You know things are bad when I can’t even recall picking up AI. 

626CDC31-EC52-4477-AFA2-DAEE35A4A572.thumb.jpeg.ad03bb37d6c48c53f303c3ffa8a60309.jpeg

Retro Game Challenge 2 is a high quality bootleg using an unofficial English translation.

FEB011C5-0642-43EB-8195-6152D93AA1E7.thumb.jpeg.d33c358fa4947c20b27bef9c2526cda3.jpeg

I learned about Zenses Zen Garden vía a FB group, had no idea it existed, then someone alerted me to a lot on eBay that had it so I scooped it up.

12E3B77F-FB58-4970-AA5F-F0563D05CFCB.thumb.jpeg.e0f960a752b96b318db2c999b59a9f4f.jpeg

9EC4D52D-7224-410C-AB85-BEDA7A7FBA01.thumb.jpeg.ec67e7bd6f070a313f24006ab5125ba1.jpeg

Bought a nice lot of strat guides via FB, these are all new to my collection although I’m pretty sure I had Goldeneye and Mario 64 already and my brother just “lost” them. Pokemon has all stickers still intact which is quite the find although I still want to find the official Pokemon Yellow guide.

82A34942-15A3-4710-9409-67A50B3A9387.thumb.jpeg.b5c42fc8459fd142cffc5fc595c0678f.jpeg

28E9D1FE-BA2A-4CE1-9694-D7D87CF761AE.thumb.jpeg.e9ea57a1849a0da49d621ea83a6c64db.jpeg

CE1ACD05-F3FA-4A79-B226-BEEDAA9C460A.thumb.jpeg.23289692c7b4b6bda871af10e55ab3ad.jpeg

CC37F5E6-2804-468A-8520-05FD83A7C6D0.thumb.jpeg.bbbff60dd6ed4a1c35c415c1d6d75f9b.jpeg

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 7