IGNORED

How often do you open cartridges to see if they are real when buying online?

austin532

How often do you open cartridges to see if they are real when buying online?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you open cartridges to see if they are real when buying online?

• Never, I live on the wild side
    • Only if the game is expensive or is easily faked
    • Always, better safe than sorry

Events Helper · Posted

honestly haven't opened a single game, but i just started collecting............Most i have bought off NA when I joined if it was an expensive one.  Others I go cib with high feedback on wherever i purchase.  I might just start doing it to do it though, but I really kinda worry about it since I haven't really done it before.  Just don't wanna break anything.  Also, Need to learn to replace batteries sometime in the future.  Any good tutorials for this?

Every single game that can be opened, I open upon arrival. They get thoroughly cleaned in and out before they ever go into a console. (Don't kid yourselves the whole q-tip and alcohol thing is NOT an adequate cleaning method. Thats like jumping in a shower, getting wet, and saying your clean without and soap or getting into the nooks and folds.)

Aint no ones dirty contacts are goin into my slot!

So I guess I check to see if they're real every time just by cleaning them.

Wow, interesting. I've never opened a cartridge I've bought. I would always clean the connectors, as well as the cartridge itself (stickers, dirt, etc) and test each game I got, but never opened any. Guess I never considered that they might be fake, but it's been almost a decade since I've collected anything, so maybe it wasn't a thing back then.

6 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Every single game that can be opened, I open upon arrival. They get thoroughly cleaned in and out before they ever go into a console. (Don't kid yourselves the whole q-tip and alcohol thing is NOT an adequate cleaning method. Thats like jumping in a shower, getting wet, and saying your clean without and soap or getting into the nooks and folds.)

What other methods do you recommend?

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

What other methods do you recommend?

Regardless of any type method, the minimum needs to be to open the game to have full access to the connectors to see what your working with. A quick q-tipping ain't gonna get that "dried soda" gunk out from between pins if you don't open it, and I wouldn't want that kind of stuff in my console.

Personally, I take a eraser to the pins then a tooth brush with alcohol, then dry with a microfiber cloth. 

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

How exactly do you clean the console's cartridge contacts in a top loader system?  I mean I figure those should be clean too right?

You disassemble the toploader and take it out. It's not that hard. https://stillplayingnes.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/cleaning-the-nes-101-top-loader/

Alternatively, if you just want do a regular cleaning, you can grab a credit card (or something similar, like a plastic gift card) and a coffee filter (or similar paper/cloth piece), spray some alcohol on it, and insert it into the connector a few times. Do that like weekly and it should remove any dust or whatever that might get in from regular playing.

Edited by Tulpa

Always have since I got a kit a decade ago, before that where things came from I knew the stuff wasn't going to be shady.  It wasn't to make sure of fraud, I wanted to be able to properly clean stuff so it was more about that than being scammed, but if I'm opening to clean it, clearly I can see if it's a fraud.