IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Steak (March 2024)

Gloves

March 2024 Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to eat next? (Choose any/all you'd be happy to make this month)

• Ramen
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Poutine
    • Steak
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

I used chuck steak which is a cut I don't think I've ever made before.  It's not what I would call an especially tough cut, but neither does it possess the nice tender quality of a strip and is a ways off from the succulent texture of tenderloin.  Didn't do anything too crazy, just rubbed it in oil and seasoning and then adjusted the cook times I'm used to, for a thin steak.  Seared it on each side at medium heat for 30 sec. and then popped it in the oven at 425˚ for an additional 30 sec. and finally left it under a cloche for 3 minutes.  All in all it was a decent piece of steak that I picked up for a rock-bottom price.  Passion Fruit for desert.

STEAK CHUCK.png

PASSION FRUIT.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, PII said:

Seared it on each side at medium heat for 30 sec. and then popped it in the oven at 425˚ for an additional 30 sec. and finally left it under a cloche for 3 minutes.

I like this. Simple and guaranteed not to be overdone. 

21 hours ago, PII said:

adjusted the cook times I'm used to, for a thin steak

How thin? It looks like about an inch in your picture; is that right?

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Steak (March 2024)
2 hours ago, Link said:

How thin? It looks like about an inch in your picture; is that right?

It was approx. a half inch ( 3/4 in some places ) and I'll typically be using one that's close to an inch or more which I'll sear for something closer to 2 min. on each side followed by 1 - 1 1/2 min tops in the oven and then under the cloche for 5 min.  I wanted to make certain it didn't get overdone and so took some educated guesses that did the trick.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

I still think some of the stuff on the current list would be good to do but here is my running list of suggestions for the future.  Feel free to repost at any time with your own commentary, additions etc.

SUSHI - (I'm not really expecting a whole lot of people to want to do this, but you never know unless you ask...)

SEAFOOD - (Make something that came from water)

MUSHROOMS - (Make something that utilizes mushrooms in some way)

STUFF IT IN - (Make something that involves stuffing one or more things inside of something else)

GRILL IT - (Make something on the grill outside)

SOUP OR STEW (Make one)

AWESOME SAUCE - (For dipping, pouring, marinating etc. just make an awesome sauce)

BIG KAHUNA BURGER - (I think most of us probably know where the idea for this one originated.  Pick one of the made up recipes available online or make up your own version of this semi-fictitious burger.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PII said:

I still think some of the stuff on the current list would be good to do but here is my running list of suggestions for the future.  Feel free to repost at any time with your own commentary, additions etc.

SUSHI - (I'm not really expecting a whole lot of people to want to do this, but you never know unless you ask.)

Steak sushi!

IMG_9009.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, PII said:

SUSHI - (I'm not really expecting a whole lot of people to want to do this, but you never know unless you ask...)

SEAFOOD - (Make something that came from water)

MUSHROOMS - (Make something that utilizes mushrooms in some way)

STUFF IT IN - (Make something that involves stuffing one or more things inside of something else)

GRILL IT - (Make something on the grill outside)

SOUP OR STEW (Make one)

AWESOME SAUCE - (For dipping, pouring, marinating etc. just make an awesome sauce)

BIG KAHUNA BURGER - (I think most of us probably know where the idea for this one originated.  Pick one of the made up recipes available online or make up your own version of this semi-fictitious burger.)

Stew is by far one of my favourite meals to make. Top 3 easily. 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Stew is by far one of my favourite meals to make. Top 3 easily. 

For me it's something that tends to just sort of come together when things, meat, vegetables, broth etc. happen to be on hand or cheaply acquirable.  It's a great way to make food go the distance for sure.  Soup/Stew and Salad or Sandwich once a day all week long makes life easier.

• 3 weeks later...
Events Helper · Posted
On 3/17/2024 at 2:12 PM, PII said:

and then popped it in the oven at 425˚ for an additional 30 sec.

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Cook your steak on a grill 😉  

On 3/3/2024 at 9:26 PM, a3quit4s said:

I’m not apart of the club but y’all should make chili one week 

Maybe you should be, would be interesting to see what you come up with 🙂  Make a pie for this month bro.  Come on, I believe in you!!!!!!

• Agree 1