IGNORED

What non-NTSC NES games are worth getting?

With my remaining personal NES collection goal nailed down and somewhat attainable, I'm looking off towards the horizon at some new goals. I was lucky enough to score one of Timewalk's Mr.Gimmick CIBs years ago, and was wondering if there are any other games out there that approached that level of polish or fun. I've heard good things about Corcoron and Ufouria, and have seen Splatterhouse referenced in one of the mod's avatars (please excuse my temporary amnesia). So are there other hidden gems out there that we never got (and that I could somehow score a CIB for)?

3 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Trolls in Crazyland, Crisis Force, Gradius II, Samurai Pizza Cats, Ghostbusters 2, Hammerin’ Harry, Kid Dracula, Mitsume ga Tooru are some of the better non-NTSC NES games I’ve played and really enjoyed them all.

This was re-released as something else in the past few years wasn't it?... Instead of trolls it was a kid in a helmet or something?

And Samurai Pizza Cats. Holy hell, there's a name I haven't heard since...

Crazyland was released on the famicom and Trolls was released in PAL format.  Crazyland US version was found by the Nolan’s years back.   There is also a Complete US version prototype of Trolls in Crazyland dated before the Euro version.  It’s weird to me that neither Crazyland or Trolls In Crazyland were never released in the States considering there are two complete prototypes.  

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most of the PAL exclusives are good games.

• Banana Prince
  • Asterix
  • CrackOut
  • Devil World
  • Elite
  • Formula 1 Sensation
  • Hammerin' Harry
  • Mr. Gimmick
  • New Ghostbusters II
  • Noah's Ark
  • Over Horizon
  • Parasol Stars - Rainbow Islands II
  • Parodius
  • Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2
  • RodLand
  • Super Turrican
  • U-four-ia
  • Like 1

Must Haves:

Ufouria is in my top 10 NES games across all regions.  An absolutely spectacular non-linear platformer, if you haven't played it you need to.

Loved Hammerin' Harry.  Great, tight controls, polished sprites, and just great gameplay.  Beating the first loop is pretty easy, then the game repeats and it gets MUCH harder.

New Ghostbusters II is what we should have gotten in the US.  For such an amazing franchise of films, such absolutely terrible games.  The US games grew on me and I ended up enjoying them for what they were, but had they not been tied to the GB license, there is zero shot I would have given them a passing chance.  The sprites and gameplay in NGBII are excellent and do the franchise justice.

Use Caution or Avoid:

There may be a work around on some of the "new" NES systems, but you cannot play Elite as-is on North America TV's and Nintendo hardware.  

Super Turrican plays so fast on NTSC systems and TVs that I feel like I'm going to puke.  Not fun at all.

Protos:

I had NTSC versions of the following, but don't know if they were ever dumped and released publicly (it's been a while):

Crazyland

Noah's Ark

Ufouria (incomplete)

Elite (incomplete)

Super Turrican (mine was incomplete and glitchy, but there were others out there)

I know that many of the others had NTSC protos, so if you can find a ROM, it'll likely be worth playing it at the intended 60 hz.

• Like 2

People are dropping Jap-exclusive titles now. By "NTSC" did OP mean just "US releases", or are we looking at the few rare PAL-exclusive releases that actually exist?

Because if it's the former, there's a TON of awesome Jap-exclusive titles that are worth picking up IMO. I could go on about those for a while.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, MrMark0673 said:

Must Haves:

Ufouria is in my top 10 NES games across all regions.  An absolutely spectacular non-linear platformer, if you haven't played it you need to.

Loved Hammerin' Harry.  Great, tight controls, polished sprites, and just great gameplay.  Beating the first loop is pretty easy, then the game repeats and it gets MUCH harder.

New Ghostbusters II is what we should have gotten in the US.  For such an amazing franchise of films, such absolutely terrible games.  The US games grew on me and I ended up enjoying them for what they were, but had they not been tied to the GB license, there is zero shot I would have given them a passing chance.  The sprites and gameplay in NGBII are excellent and do the franchise justice.

Use Caution or Avoid:

There may be a work around on some of the "new" NES systems, but you cannot play Elite as-is on North America TV's and Nintendo hardware.  

Super Turrican plays so fast on NTSC systems and TVs that I feel like I'm going to puke.  Not fun at all.

Protos:

I had NTSC versions of the following, but don't know if they were ever dumped and released publicly (it's been a while):

Crazyland

Noah's Ark

Ufouria (incomplete)

Elite (incomplete)

Super Turrican (mine was incomplete and glitchy, but there were others out there)

I know that many of the others had NTSC protos, so if you can find a ROM, it'll likely be worth playing it at the intended 60 hz.

I can't remember asking you, but was the Super Turrican NTSC proto faster than the PAL version?  I think there are a few games that run the same speed both PAL and NTSC because of how it was programmed (I wanna say Hammerin Harry and Rodland).  I beat Super Turrican on my toploader when it ran fast and thought it was ok.  But got an AVS and put it in PAL and it ran more like how I thought it should.  

PAL games are great.  Ive also always said if Gimmick was released in the US, it would easily be the most expensive game for the system (Minus SE but I dont exactly count that one)

On 11/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, arnpoly said:

*puts nerd hat on*

To the people mentioning Famicom games, those are neither NES nor non-NTSC.  Japan is NTSC-J

*takes hat off*

@ThePhleo's list above is rock-solid, all good games!

I was confused with all the Famicom suggestions as well, they're all NTSC.

Not to mention, a lot of the PAL/J exclusives like Gimmick don't play properly if you buy the PAL version. Better off getting the J version for the ability to play the game. I've got a Mr. Gimmick in my collection, but it's just for show.

Some games,  however, actually stuck with the 60Hz timing. Probotector and Ufouria come to mind.

This, I believe, is the full list of PAL exclusive, licensed NES games.

Aladdin No-NTSC
Astérix  
Aussie Rules Footy  
Beauty and the Beast, The No-NTSC
Bubble Bobble 2: Rainbow Islands (Different Game)
Chevaliers du Zodiaque, Les  
Dropzone  
Elite  
International Cricket  
Kick Off  
Konami Hyper Soccer  
Legend of Prince Valiant, The  
Lion King, The No-NTSC
Mario Bros. (Classic Series) (Different Game)
Noah's Ark  
Parasol Stars: Rainbow Islands II  
Rackets & Rivals  
Smurfs, The  
Super Turrican  
Tecmo World Cup Soccer