• Meatloaf
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Fast Food Inspired
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

11 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Is anyone here from a state that borders mexico? 

Seems like no-one knows what a true Mexican taco is and it shows. 

Has anyone here been to a taqueria? Or bought real, mexican tacos?

I live in Colorado and we have a bunch of people that moved here from California that complain about our tacos and burgers. Does that count ?

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Tacos (Dec 2023)

Murray’s gringo tacos:

Ground chicken, onion, lettuce, cheese, secret sauce, nacho cheese el loco Doritos shells. Deconstructed Elote (Couldn’t find corn on the cob at the sto so had to improvise 😒 ). Corn, sour cream, lime, cilantro and queso fresco. Lil Klondike bars for dessert. 😊

IMG_8828.jpeg

Edited by Murray
  • Like 6
  • Wow! 1

Here's how I typically do mine:

In a greased pan: Cilantro, Onions, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Oregano, Cumin, Paprika, Lime Juice + Any sort of Beef generally.   Sometimes if I have some extra mushrooms around and I'm a little low on Beef I'll get 'em in there too.

Line flat bottom Taco Shell w/shredded Cheddar, add coagulated ing. from above + more cheese.

Additional Layers in Order:

Shredded Lettuce

Diced Tomatoes or Freshly made Salsa if I've recently made some.

Chopped Jalapeños

Salsa Verde (which I like to make from scratch)

Mango/Habanero Sauce (Also make this from scratch)

Sour Creme

the one thing missing from this pic. - chopped black olives.

Salted Avocado slices

So Yum, I rarely have to take a break from 'em.

The jar labeled Sweet Orange Marmalade contains the Mango/Habanero Sauce (cue wicked Wario laughter and twiddle of mustache.)

Tacos w:MH.png

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted

This is what I usually eat as "tacos", as an Eastern Canadian with zero idea of what actually constitutes a taco. 

IMG_20231212_205032.jpg

Sour cream, salsa (from a jar today, Old El Paso), black beans, three cheese blend, and a protein. Today the protein was steak strips, but it's more often than not ground beef. 

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

This is what I usually eat as "tacos", as an Eastern Canadian with zero idea of what actually constitutes a taco. 

IMG_20231212_205032.jpg

Sour cream, salsa (from a jar today, Old El Paso), black beans, three cheese blend, and a protein. Today the protein was steak strips, but it's more often than not ground beef. 

I like the addition of black beans. That's a good easy way to make tacos more filling like a folded burrito

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Okay, this one is for @spacepup, and I guess also @Gloves's wife. I made up a new vegan thing.

Rice & beans are good. Nopales are a weird texture. Whole Foods carries a mycoprotein product line called Quorn that's a very good substitute for chicken. Season it right and it's a great taco. And you can get it ground or cutlets. 

But I wanted to invent something new. So I

Recipe:
diced and fried eggplant, mushrooms, soft and firm tofus.

IMG_5074.jpeg.3e78fa798204c1caffe37d8a916847ee.jpeg

With oil and seasoning in this ratio: 
2 tsp. chili powder
1 ½  tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. paprika  
½ tsp. crushed red pepper
½ tsp. salt 
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. dried oregano 
¼ tsp. black pepper

IMG_5075.jpeg.9d4b847cb2fdc29b9de49b54f98171de.jpeg

Pro tips: 

Spoiler

- Toast half of the seasoning in the oil before adding anything else. Add just the vegetables first and cook 10-20 minutes. They'll release a lot of water that won't evaporate if the tofu starts at the same time. So add the tofu and more seasoning last. Continue to stir fry 10+ minutes more until desired softness.

- Toasty corn tortillas on the open flame stove.

IMG_5078.jpeg.6a2df3b6cea5d455c83823975ac149eb.jpeg

With sour cream left over from my last (unpublished) grilled cheese. It's good because I went slightly heavy on the spice, so it counteracts that. On a corn tortilla. 

IMG_5082.jpeg.503b60638099f7df6f5629c2ac9724e7.jpeg

My thoughts:

Spoiler

I would have added cilantro and onions. But I know cilantro can be divisive, and somehow I lost my onion between the produce aisle and home. Also I already bought way too much stuff. Two different kinds of tofu in no smaller than 1 lb. packages. Eggplants are big. Mushrooms are also a whole pound. I'm one person. Tofu is not in my ususl rotation, although I've made tofu scrambles and fried tofu sandwiches before. So I was getting ready to alternate that with the tacos. But I liked this so much that I went ahead and used most of the rest for a double batch. I think I have enough for 12 tacos stored now.

Edited by Link
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
On 12/10/2023 at 6:06 AM, BlackVega said:

Fun fact: I have never eaten a taco in my life, let alone made one so this one is going to be interesting to me so whatever you see will be 100% improvisation

where do u hail from?  to never have eaten a taco in your life......are you patrick star?  

patrick-star-spongebob.gif

no disrespect meant, but serious.......

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:23 PM, Link said:

Okay, this one is for @spacepup, and I guess also @Gloves's wife. I made up a new vegan thing.

Rice & beans are good. Nopales are a weird texture. Whole Foods carries a mycoprotein product line called Quorn that's a very good substitute for chicken. Season it right and it's a great taco. And you can get it ground or cutlets. 

But I wanted to invent something new. So I

Recipe:
dice and fry eggplant, mushrooms, soft and firm tofus.

IMG_5074.jpeg.3e78fa798204c1caffe37d8a916847ee.jpeg

With oil and seasoning in this ratio: 
2 tsp. chili powder
1 ½  tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. paprika  
½ tsp. crushed red pepper
½ tsp. salt 
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. dried oregano 
¼ tsp. black pepper

IMG_5075.jpeg.9d4b847cb2fdc29b9de49b54f98171de.jpeg

Pro tips: 

Hide contents

- Toast half of the seasoning in the oil before adding anything else. Add just the vegetables first and cook 10-20 minutes. They'll release a lot of water that won't evaporate if the tofu starts at the same time. So add the tofu and more seasoning last. Continue to stir fry 10+ minutes more until desired softness.

- Toasty corn tortillas on the open flame stove.

IMG_5078.jpeg.6a2df3b6cea5d455c83823975ac149eb.jpeg

With sour cream left over from my last (unpublished) grilled cheese. It's good because I went slightly heavy on the spice, so it counteracts that. On a corn tortilla. 

IMG_5082.jpeg.503b60638099f7df6f5629c2ac9724e7.jpeg

My thoughts:

Hide contents

I would have added cilantro and onions. But I know cilantro can be divisive, and somehow I lost my onion between the produce aisle and home. Also I already bought way too much stuff. Two different kinds of tofu in no smaller than 1 lb. packages. Eggplants are big. Mushrooms are also a whole pound. I'm one person. Tofu is not in my ususl rotation, although I've made tofu scrambles and fried tofu sandwiches before. So I was getting ready to alternate that with the tacos. But I liked this so much that I went ahead and used most of the rest for a double batch. I think I have four servings stored now.

That looks good, what is the name of the tofu you are using here? 

• 2 weeks later...