• Meatloaf
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Fast Food Inspired
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

Is posting tacos I serve at work considered cheating?😆

Naw, I'll make some tacos that I actually feed my kids later this month!

20230823_210949.jpg.d3ad8e4ac2c43bd9b8ca4fd0c2f35074.jpg

On the left is a Cornflake breaded haddock taco. Lettuce, Pico, melted cheddar/jack cheese, both hard and soft shell using spicy crab dip as the glue. On the right is seasoned grilled Mahi Mahi tacos with shredded Napa cabbage, sliced avocado, habanero infused sour cream, diced red bell peppers and cilantro on grilled and buttered tortilla . The left is more new England pub food, and the right is more California Street food.

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Is posting tacos I serve at work considered cheating?😆

Naw, I'll make some tacos that I actually feed my kids later this month!

20230823_210949.jpg.d3ad8e4ac2c43bd9b8ca4fd0c2f35074.jpg

On the left is a Cornflake breaded haddock taco. Lettuce, Pico, melted cheddar/jack cheese, both hard and soft shell using spicy crab dip as the glue. On the right is seasoned grilled Mahi Mahi tacos with shredded Napa cabbage, sliced avocado, habanero infused sour cream, diced red bell peppers and cilantro on grilled and buttered tortilla . The left is more new England pub food, and the right is more California Street food.

had a great fish taco with mango salsa in florida with i think red snapper as the fish......could be misremembering, but was super delish........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeevan said:

skirt steak/chicken/shrimp and veggies, usually peppers and onions i think........vs the usual ground beef taco?

Sounds normal to me. Diced steak (carne asada) or chicken, onions, and cilantro. Ground beef is gringo, that's Taco Bell.

Events Helper · Posted
12 minutes ago, Link said:

There's nothing wrong with it and Taco Bell tastes good. But "the usual ground beef taco" is not Mexican food, Jeevan's description of fajita fillings is much closer.

american mexican then......i get what you are saying, but i bet the average american/canadian sees a taco as taco bell style.

26 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I don’t actually make my tacos more “authentic”. 

Don't get me wrong. I love a ground beef taco. No one need defend them from me. I just still don't understand this fajita thing. 

Wait.

image.jpeg.625e06aac0081cdc76e7e81f747afdd1.jpeg

So it's like a wrap? 

40 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

To me, less is more. 

What do you mean by less though? Less prep work? Not less ingredients, if you're doing more than (for example) lettuce and cheese on your ground beef.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Link said:

Don't get me wrong. I love a ground beef taco. No one need defend them from me. I just still don't understand this fajita thing. 

Wait.

So it's like a wrap? 

What do you mean by less though? Less prep work? Not less ingredients, if you're doing more than (for example) lettuce and cheese on your ground beef.

My tacos have meat, cilantro, onions and maybe some Cotija cheese. 

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, Link said:

Wait.

So it's like a wrap? 

intro-1594165170.jpg

This is your typical fajita plate at restaurants that are "mexican" restaurants around here.  with a side of 2 or 3 tortillas and beans/rice plate.

Just now, Gloves said:

I had a feeling this would end up being a discussion about what makes a taco a taco lol.

We can all debate and have our taco standards all we want. But in the end, we get to see what everyone else makes. That it the point of this club. 
I feel that as long as people are getting into the kitchen and cooking, we all win.

Make it your own😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

e31.png.3ebe2c7864e1ba045820c2aa91cd7276.png

😂😂😂 crazy how “sushi” could also be  burrito, manicotti, lumpia, egg roll or gyro wrap?

Lasagna or baklava = cake

Calzone is the only fully enclosed by dough food stuffs in history!

Re: Tacos

I get the idea is “upper north American white guy taco interpretation” which is cool, because a “big mac taco” is ludacris  if you know anything about real Mexican food.

I make ground beef tacos at home too (flour tortillas only tho) Maybe ill use some easy cheese and canned jalapeños too 🤨 if I do ill drop a pic and recipe.

Sorry for hijacking the thread even though im not participating 🙏  Enjoy!

6 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

😂😂😂 crazy how “sushi” could also be  burrito, manicotti, lumpia, egg roll or gyro wrap?

Lasagna or baklava = cake

Calzone is the only fully enclosed by dough food stuffs in history!

Close. Burritos, lumpia, and egg rolls are fully enclosed, therefore making them calzones.

Seriously though, if you have a fun way of making tacos at home, you should post! It's fun!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Is anyone here from a state that borders mexico? 

Seems like no-one knows what a true Mexican taco is and it shows. 

Has anyone here been to a taqueria? Or bought real, mexican tacos?

I need to hear your description of a true Mexican taco then, because I'm pretty sure I've been saying I do. Chicago has tons of taquerias, and on the service industry groups I'm in on facebook, it's pretty widely agreed that getting authentic Mexican here is relatively easy. To say nothing of roadside stands and elote carts. 

We have a lot of immigrants and immigrant communities here, and multiple neighborhoods with majority Mexican residents. Even my ex, who is a complete fucking snob about everything she possibly can be, and is very food-focused, and grew up in San Diego in the 70s & 80s and crossed the border several times, and lived in Guanajuato for a year in 2000, says we have good true Mexican food here. 

The last apartment I rented before buying my 2-flat was in such a neighborhood, and was in walking distance of multiple indie no-name Mex restaurants, one of which worked their tortilla press in the window. Another was a hole-in-the-wall bar with no windows, where nobody spoke a lick of English, right across the street from the train station. 

Yeah I think I know.

7 hours ago, Richardhead said:

My tacos have meat, cilantro, onions and maybe some Cotija cheese. 

So, not less. imo. Same level. Not that it matters. 

This club is all about cooking a shared dish, what and how we like. Shit-talking is not welcome, good vibes only, and classic/traditional,  cheap, experimental/weird/innovative takes are all welcome and encouraged. 

IMG_5026.jpeg

• Agree 1