30 members have voted

1. 1. Super Mario Wonder

• I've pre-ordered the game
    • I plan to buy the game day one!
    • I plan to buy it at some point in the future, maybe on sale
    • I'll wait to see more reviews / information, and make a decision later
    • I'm not interested in buying the game

Administrator · Posted

Amazon.com: Super Mario Bros.™ Wonder - Nintendo Switch (US Version) :  Everything Else

Hey all!  So Super Mario Wonder is coming out tomorrow, and I'm curious who is getting the game and excited to play it!

I pre-ordered it shortly after the announcement.  I thought it looked pretty and wacky and fun, so I have a feeling I'll really enjoy it.  I actually quite liked the New Super Mario Bros series of games, so I have no doubt I'll like this one too.  I really like the color scheme/environments and think it will be interesting.  Also looking forward to playing this with my nephews as I have a feeling they are gonna LOVE it.

I hope others are as excited for it as I'm, it looks fun!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm probably not as excited as I was for Tears of the kingdom.  But I'm way more excited for a new 2D Mario game than I would be for a new 3D Mario game.  

I didn't pre-order it, but I plan to get it before Christmas.  I'll probably just make it a Christmas gift for one of my kids.  I can wait until then to play it.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

I didn't pay this game any mind, but John Linneman at Digital Foundry gave a pretty glowing soft-review of it on their weekly podcast.

I typically don't care about what reviewers say and I base my desires for a new game on what the game seems to offer.  I've not been very interested in most of the past 2D Mario games for going on decades, but I find that John's reviews of old games, as well as his reviews of new-retro games are often spot-on with my own personal opinion.  He too wasn't super fond of the newer, 2.5D Mario games and he essentially said that this game feels like old Mario games, will each section still has a way of retaining a since of creativity and diversity that makes the whole game feel fresh from start to finish.

I'll say it got me hyped, but considering what will likely, really happen, I might get this within the next year or two.  I'm going to put it on my Switch buy list, but I don't buy much.  This is a first party title so sales are rare, but if I ever can find it for $20-25 at some point, I'm sure this will be a guaranteed purchase.

Voted plan to buy at some point. My parents are disappointed (someone will quote that out of context) when I don’t want anything for Christmas. New video games are one of the few things I can ask for and they can reliably find what I’m actually talking about. I’m really excited for it, it looks totally rad! Love me some 2D Mario. I hope they do a better job with the music and stage design than in NSMB. 

(The different worlds were very formulaic and somewhat lacked distinct environments; the music was the same in every regular stage. God, that game felt so lackluster halfway through.)

Edited by Link

29 minutes ago, RH said:

He too wasn't super fond of the newer, 2.5D Mario games and he essentially said that this game feels like old Mario games, will each section still has a way of retaining a since of creativity and diversity that makes the whole game feel fresh from start to finish.

This is exactly what the NSMB games do, though? 🙂

This really looks to me like a sequel to those in every possible way, and that's great. 

• Disagree 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm excited for Wonder but I'm not super willing to fight for a physical copy on day 1. When it's easy to find I'll grab it. If local places happen to have it on day 1, then... shrug!

It is fun to play new games ASAP though, because of the fresh jokes on the internet, and feeling like we're all discovering it together. TOTK was fun like that.

Played for I dunno like two hours today. It’s a great game and a solid addition to the side scrolling entry of Super Mario games. Most of the old mechanics are there along with a bunch of new stuff to keep it fresh. I like the ability to change hats and have different power ups that go along with them and it’s probably a must own for all you out there that like a good ole fashioned side scrolling platformer. Nintendo rarely ever discounts games so I decided to grab this now and see if I catch a Black Friday deal on Spider-Man 2 on PS5

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1